What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hello. i posted this on cpuk, but i thought i share it with everyone. i recently took some photos with my digital recorder. they arnt the best of quality and in the best of lighting, but i guess you can make out a rough outline.
biggrin.gif

(oh, and pft really needs a place to post pictures
smile.gif
)

S.wrigleyana.jpg

S. X wrigleyana -got this at a garden center in a canada flower show. i thought people say that these dont catch much, but on closer inspection in the pitchers, they are filled with dead earwigs.

S.purpurea.jpg

S. purpurea ssp. venosa - got this from a local garden center a few days ago. it has gained color extremly fast in full sun.

D.unknown.jpg

Came to me as coccicaulis, but it dosn't really look like it. can some expert correct me? sorry, but the lighting was kinda bad.

N.inermis.jpg

my beloved inermis. the 4 older leaves had a mild heating shock and developed some yellowing. the 3 new leaves that grew while in my care show no signs of failure. you can see the temperature on the thermometer, it gets colder at night.

N.lowii.jpg

N. lowii. only had it for a while, but has made a new leaf. behind the pot is a large pitcher bud, but is currently deflated and i dont think it would want to inflate it any time soon.

H.nutans.jpg

H. nutans. recieved recently, had a little shock with shipping. is swelling 2 pitchers (unseen in pic) quite fast.

S.flavaExternalVeined.jpg

S. alata ‘External Veins’ from CPCAN, but looks more like the veins are internal.

Cactus.jpg

some of my cacti. im planning to sell these soon.

Mygrowspace.jpg

Highland tank. i use a evaporative humidifyer and a ultrasonic fogger. the humidifyer is constantly on blowing wind over my plants that make them flutter. the fogger is on at night and noon. i had to turn the lights off in the tank for this pic as the camera was acting funny. dont think that the wires in the front will cause a fire, there are only a few that are plugged in for the lights. the others are just spare pumps and such. this is a 50g tank, and was once used for fish, but i moved the fish to a better tank.

Mygrowspace2.jpg

My seedling tank. the temps here are much warmer, and i germinate most of my seeds in here.

mon on next post.....

My other hobby is keeping fishes. here are some really crude photos:

Fancyguppy.jpg

I have a bunch of these guys. this is a male. the pic isn't really good, the markings on its body shines like neon, like in them neon tetras. i have a tank full of femals and babies in my room, but i didn't get a chance to take a pic of it.

GlassCatfish.jpg

my glass catfish, i love these guys. i have 5 of them in my main tank. their bodies are completly see through, and you can see its swim bladder and such. you can even see food pass through its intestines. they usually hang around each other, faceing the same direction and stay in one spot for most of the day. they sit right where the current passes. this one was exited with my arriveal because they where hungry

Hatchetfish.jpg

another of my favoites. i dont know why i like it, i guess its just cool. their bodies are quite compressed, so they arn't as fat as they look.

Glowlighttetras.jpg

a group of glowlight tetras. they are like neon tetras, but they are red.

WhiptailCatfish.jpg

this is my whiptail catfish. its a dinosaur like fish, i couldn't get a good pick of it because it only activly comes out at night.

Myfishtank.jpg

this is a full pic of one of my fish tanks. you cant really enjoy it in a picture tho. i have a few other fish tanks like these with other oddities like gobys and such. also in the tank are a few snails and a few ghost shrimp (whish is cool, you can see the ship digest their food inside their stomach!). i know what your thinking....'thats a perfect cp tank'...., well, the fish where here first
biggrin.gif

Well, thats all for now. hope you enjoyed them
biggrin.gif
. Zongyi

can you please tell me where you got your evaporative humidifier, how low it brings the temps down, etc etc.

i'm EXTREMELY interested.

Wow, that is a great setup man! (grow chamber and fish tank)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]another of my favoites. i dont know why i like it, i guess its just cool. their bodies are quite compressed, so they arn't as fat as they look.

That is a hatchet fish. Careful, they are quite the little jumpers!
smile_m_32.gif

Seriously. I watched one jump right out of my tank one night (I no longer keep fish.) And one other time, I picked up a dried, shriveled one that jumped out some time earlier.

I love the glass cats too! Those guys are great.

Capslock

awsome! now I want some fish too!
darn it! I should stop looking at pictures! I couldn't care less for diamonds and gold stuff (I WOULD like to have it so I could sell it and buy more plants... but who cares about the stones themselves? :p).
I always get that stomach feeling when watching pictures (because I want everything in them :p)

Very impressive!

hello. thanks for all the replys
biggrin.gif

Kirkscoastalcarnivores- i cant remember unless i check the pots (i wrote the lables on the pots). the hour after i took the photos, i planted some more seeds and the tank is now fuller than it is now. i can remeber some, like indica pink flower, montana, burmanii, capensis, sessilifolia, brevio-something and some other cool droseras. so far, the capensis and diesliana has germinated.

JustLikeAPill- ive bought the ultrasonic misters at petsmart. most of the stores dont have it in stock, but its usually found in the reptile section. you can also try specialty stores; for instance, theres this guy at a agricultral fair that sells misters for cheap every year around my place.

i dont think the ultrasonic humidifyer lowers the temp at all. it only showers the plants with fog that is at the same temp of the water it sits in. it also heats up the water a little. thats why i use the evaporative humidifyer. the evap humidifyer blows a lot of humidifyed air out, which is directed by the white tube into the tank. the tube output of air blows right over the ultrasonic humidifyer so that the water it splashes up hits my plants. the air that blows over the plants evaporate the water on the leaves and therefor offer cooling. other than that, the main cooling is the fact that its in my basement, which is at a constant 22-24 degrees. the setup lowers it to about 18-20 degrees.

amazingly, i found that sphagnum gets colder than peat. the pots in which i planted my inermis in is 18C while the peat perlite mixture where i have my heli is at 20C. im measureing the core temperature, not the surface temp. i dont know if this is true or just an illusion
biggrin.gif

Spectabilis73-oops, i knew the name but i forgot to put it on
biggrin.gif
. i believe its a common hatchetfish.

Capslock-yeah, i head of all the stories on how the hatchet fishes average life expectacy is about one year because it usually surcumbs to drieing up. but i have my tank covered with a light and a piece of plastic at the back
laugh.gif

when i was buying it at the petstore, the guy was trying to fish one out for me. suddenly, you see a wave of silver jumping out of the tank and falling onto the ground
smile_k_ani_32.gif
. some little girl freaked out and almost stepped on a few.

see through fish are the best
biggrin.gif
. i hope to keep glassfish someday, but they need brackish water, which im not prepared to keep now. i kept them before, but that was when i was inexperianced and bought the dyed ones.....

TheAlphaWolf- ah, the things we do for cps
biggrin.gif

thanks for all other complements
biggrin.gif
. Zongyi

ooh. i thought the evap. humidifier lowered the temp considerably. thanks for clearing this up
biggrin.gif

Beautiful stuff Zongyi, the pics aren't as bad as you make them sound
biggrin.gif

Thanks for posting them, I had wondered what your set-up was/is like and the pics explain it well....
Your planted tank is slick, especially

Back