Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Few questions on peat moss and perlite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a guy on the CPUK forum who has as his tag-line "I never use peat"..
    or something like that..
    I have been meaning to send him a note to ask what he *does* use then!

personally, I have tried pure peat, pure spagnum, and peat with sand..
    I didnt like the peat with sand because it turned into a VERY heavy, dense mix..although, I do still have some VFTs in that mix and they are doing fine!
    the last few years I have been doing pure spagnum for most of my plants..works great!
    and! this summer I tried a new mix for my mini-bog, peat and perlite with a top dressing of pure spagnum..so far so good!
    basically, they ALL work..none are really bad:

pure peat
    peat with sand
    peat with perlite
    pure spagnum

im curious about the benefits of "no peat" mixes..anyone know anything about that?
    Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have had very good and very bad results using peat. i wish we had more rain and less wind so i could weather it like Tamlin does. some of my pots do wonderfully but the next one to it in the same tray with soil mixed the same day from the same batch of peat turns to sludge. i get about 4 good pots for every sludge pot. sometimes more good pots for every sludge one. i am doing some experiments with coconut husk fiber. its supposed to stand up better than peat in wet enviroments. just a short while into the trials and nothing much to report yet. so far the Chilean LFS i have been using for Neps and a few Utrics has given me the most consistant results. as to my growing. NE Montana has netoriously low humidity so i have my best results keeping everything soaked constantly except for some neps and one Utric. im growing a couple mexican pings which are doing VERY well by keeping them alot more moist than alot of ppl can.

Rattler
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never use peat either, I always use pure LFS or coco fiber. I like the coco fiber better cause it won't stick to itself. It won't clump if you try. I do still have some of my Epis in peat mixes but I don't use it for them anymore either. I only used for adding acid but I use cut up pine needle now for that.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12