What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great white shark in captivity!

Hi,

For the first time, I got to see a Great White Shark in person, at the Monterey Bay Aquarium!
biggrin.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
. It was accidentaly caught in a fishing net down in southern California. They might release it, but if they keep it, hopefully it survives. If it does, it will be a record, as no aquarium has ever kept a great white shark alive in captivity more than 2-3 months
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Awsome. You are a very luckey person to see something like that!

I said it before and i will say it again:

its great to have you back

I would love to see that.
I've been to Monterey Bay Aquarium 2 times of the 3 times I went to CA. I do not see myself getting to CA. anytime soon.
smile_h_32.gif

whoa that would be so awesome to see!

Ahh! If you or anyone else goes to Monterey Bay Aquarium, let me know! It's a 5 minutes drive from my house, so I could meet you there!
smile.gif

Finch,

Thanks
biggrin.gif

Ah, I don't think this one will last too long either.. great whites have one of the strongest migration instincts, and this is why one has never been successfully kept in captivity. A captive great white would wreak havok trying to migrate when the time comes. I learned this several years ago at Ripley's Aquarium in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina in a shark education class.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FlytrapGurl @ Sep. 18 2004,11:48)]Ah, I don't think this one will last too long either.. great whites have one of the strongest migration instincts, and this is why one has never been successfully kept in captivity. A captive great white would wreak havok trying to migrate when the time comes. I learned this several years ago at Ripley's Aquarium in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina in a shark education class.
Actually, the main thing is getting the shark to feed. That's why they died within 2 months, because they wouldn't eat. The migration doesn't have TOO much of a toll on the shark, (hey, look at whales in captivity, they dont die within months because of their migratory activities)

Also, I believe this was one of the "locals", that just cut its path where it wanted to go... No real "Migrating". I have high expectations that the shark will do well. Another reason why the G.W's didnt live was because they need constant new water. Monterey Bay Aquarium is right on the beach, and they pump in millions of gallons an hour into the exhibits. That's why they're the only aquarium to ever be able to keep kelp alive year round. Lets hope this is the case with the G.W.
smile.gif

Have you ever agreed with me, Little Specky?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FlytrapGurl @ Sep. 18 2004,3:10)]Have you ever agreed with me, Little Specky?
Very good question. I htink the anwser is no.
smile_n_32.gif

This great white shark Spec is so hot on is just under 4 feet in length, immature, and eats like a pig! The longest a great white had been kept in captivity was 16 days. This little shark has already been in captivity for 5 weeks, and is still going strong. it is my fond hope to see great whites successfully raised in captivity at last, so that all may see this magnificent and terrifying critter.

Yea, make me sound like a exaggerator
smile_m_32.gif

It is indeed a great white shark and despite its small size (looks 6 feet as it swims along glass), I sure wouldnt want to swim with him

Why should this one survive any longer? It seems pretty irresponsible to me. They should let it go instead of crossing their fingers that this one will last when the success rate so far is 0%.

Back