Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feeding your plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SO. I am really curious about how everyone feeds their plants-
    Do you still like to watch the kill or are u used to it, and just leave?

Where do you get your bugs?

What is your favorite type of bug to feed? (Mine would be flies, because they are so darn annoying)

How do you feed it?

What is your favorite method of feeding. (for example, do you feed the plant direcly or let the insect wander untill it inevetebly succumbs-

Also i have a theory about a method of feeding, and if any of you would be so kind, could you try this for me (it requiers pitcher plants and i have none) -you dont have to, of course, but it might be neat. Ok i was thinking about how moths are attracted to lights, like portchlights and sutch and moths always ram into [the lights]. I was wondering if you brought a sarr [a species] outside for the night (if the climate was right)

and shone a bright flashlite near the base of one of the pitchars (probably a near empty pitcher -would be better)
    /
    ----/|
    ----\|
    \
    Now if u placed the light so that it shone trough the outside pitcher walls and iluminated the digestive juices and left it there... would the whole pitcher be lit up? and if sooooo.... would any moths be attracted to it, and try to fly into the pitcher. You would need to turn off any outside lights, like porch lights. What do u think? do u think it would work? in the morning would it be filled with moths?

anyway, back to the topic

What kind of plants do you enjoy feeding the most?
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Finch,
    I really only grow Nepenthes but here's my stuff:
    I pretty much only use store bought reptile feeder crickets, in juvenile and adult sizes depending upon the size of the pitcher being fed. With 50 or so Nepenthes and several pitchers to feed on each plant. Generally I use 100 small crickets + 50 large crickets each 7-14 days.

I buy the crickets alive and hoppin', bring em home and put them in the freezer overnight (though they are dead after 90 minutes ).
    When I wanna use em I just shake out the bag into room temp R/O water and let them defrost for an hour or so ontop of the lowland chamber's hot lid.
    To feed I have a real long pair of japanese aquarium planting tongs/forceps. I like them though cos they give me about 12-14 inches of extra reach with very fine tip so I can feed even very small pitchers that are at odd angles and hard to reach places.

My plants seem to like my schedule anyway!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swords: How much did the forceps run you?

Hate to admit, but the critters I use most are jumping spiders. I like them, and they do no harm, but they are around when I need them. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_l_32.gif[/img] Pop em in the fridge for a minute, and then give them to the VFT

For neps, I use shrimp pellets for fish or bugs to big to be used for the VFT. The ventrata is busy with a small cutworm now.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just let my plants catch what they can,they dont seem to mind.

Jerry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would really like to get a sarr...cause that would aactually make a big impression outside.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i dont feed plants i grow outside- they have to fend for themselves. plants in the terrarium catch their own fodder in the form of springtail , ants, fungus gnats, and other misc. buggies. all my neps i foliar feed with a 1/4 solution of orchid fertilizer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] bump
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mine generally fend for themselves. every once in awhile i catch a fly that is bugging me and i feed it to my capensis because its less likely to escape again.

Rattler
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast