Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Help save cp's

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't had time to study this issue because I'm moving, but here's the way I understand it.

The town of Navassa annexed a the property that the landfill will be built so that they will have control over the land and collect tax money from Hugo Neu. The only people that wants this landfill is the town of navassa, because of the tax money that they'll collect. The site in question has been reported to be a VFT site. It's also near the Cape Fear river, so there are many nature concerns.
    The two congressmen that represent Brunswick county have opposed the landfill. One of them got a bill before the state that would make it illegal for Navassa to annex the land, and control of it would go back to the county.
    Con. wainwright used his power as head of a committee to block the bill.
    Apparently awhile back the Con. Stiller (the one that wrote the bill) wrote another bill that would have restricted commercial menhaden fishing off the NC coast. Con.Wainwright is the congressman of Craven county and has a menhaden processing plant. To me it looks like this is a revenge move for that.

So Finch, this is bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Navassa cant possibly expect to get this done because the effects will not just be in their town, it will be all over the regon. So if he blocked it, its not the same as killing it outright, because cause if its blocked its not dead, it just hant gon to.... im confused

Im mean, blocked as in filibuster blocked? i dont recall any one congresmen in the senate being able to block things indefinatly, does that mean he cant either?
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I signed it [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] ~Niki~
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This should explain the situation better than I can.

http://www.wect.com/Global/story.asp?S=3427433&nav=2gQcachb

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]JUNE 3, 2005 -- Opponents of a proposed landfill in Navassa suffered a blow Thursday. Legislation that would have given Brunswick County control over the land was blocked.

A bill filed by State Representative Bonner Stiller would have transferred control of the proposed landfill site from the town of Navassa to Brunswick County. It's a move, some say, would have put the landfill in jeopardy.

The bill won't be heard before the House or Senate. It was blocked Thursday by Representative William Wainwright of Craven County.

Stiller was unavailable for comment, but in an email he wrote "Representative Wainwright's decision centers on race. He does not want a predominately black community to lose their opportunity for Hugo Neu to locate a 350 foot high landfill in their backyard."

Navassa is a predominately black community and there are residents who would welcome the jobs. Local resident Leonard Jenkins is not one of them. He says it's not about race at all. He's opposed to the project for environmental reasons and says Wainwright is uninformed.

"He hasn't even come to see the people. If he thinks it's a black white issue, he needs to come and see what the other side has to say," says Jenkins.

Stiller is encouraging landfill opponents to contact Wainwright. In his email Stiller also wrote, "Why would the representative for Craven County citizens involve himself in the lives of citizens in Brunswick County? Maybe he should invite Hugo Neu to Craven County. I'm sure he could find a lovely spot for them in his backyard."

Reported by Justin Smith
    http://www.wilmingtonstar.com/apps....6030301

Quote[/b] ]Sen. Soles' face on Mt. Fluffmore?
    The N.C. General Assembly will be to blame if a mountain of "auto fluff" rises in Brunswick County. Much of that blame might belong to Sen. R.C. Soles.

Mr. Soles is refusing to support Rep. Bonner Stiller's bill that would make amends for the legislature's part in a 2003 maneuver that allowed Navassa to annex land about two miles away and rezone it for heavy industry so that a New York company could pile up and pile up and pile up the shredded remains of automobiles.

The landfill eventually might tower higher than the Murchison Building and be visible from downtown Wilmington.

Mr. Stiller, a Brunswick County Republican, notes that all the County Commissioners, not to mention a raft of residents, oppose the landfill. He wants the legislature to take the landfill site away from Navassa. Then the county could block the project.

But Mr. Soles, a Democrat, says he's trying to keep an open mind. Maybe that's easier because he lives in Columbus County and wouldn't have a view of the "fluff" pile.

That's also true for Rep. William Wainwright, a Democrat who lives in Craven County. Maybe that's why he delayed a hearing on Mr. Stiller's bill, which had been scheduled for Tuesday.

Some landfill supporters argue that it would provide 40-plus jobs for poor black people. But in booming Brunswick, other jobs better jobs are available. Anyway, the landfill's opponents include black people who'd rather not live near it.

This isn't an issue of race. Nor is it one of fighting off a villainous company; Hugo Neu seems to be a responsible outfit trying to do something that needs to be done.

This is, rather, an issue of whether hundreds of acres in a growing county should disappear under a landfill one that could dominate the skyline and might eventually threaten human health or the environment.

The answer is obvious to most Brunswick residents. The question is whether Sen. Soles intends to represent them, or the company that wants to dump on them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Signed
    My chicken legs taste like chicken--only less meaty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iv never heard of a petition stopping things like this.
    that makes no logic

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what do you mean? i sign stuff like that all the time and i protest with my friends once in awhile

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got an email that pointed me to this news story from California. I think this will say it all.

Quote[/b] ]

Firehouse.com Home > News Headlines
    Scrap Metal Fire Burns Overnight
    Nearby Residents Complain Of Sickening Fumes

POSTED: 7:02 a.m. PDT May 24, 2005
    UPDATED: 7:35 a.m. PDT May 24, 2005

Story by nbc4.tv

TERMINAL ISLAND, Calif. -- LA City firefighters got the upper hand Tuesday morning on a huge scrap metal plant fire more than six hours after it started.

Video: Scrap Metal Fire

NBC4's Robert Kovacik reported from a scene near 901 New Dock Street, on Terminal Island, where firefighters had been battling the blaze all night at what he described as the nation's largest scrap metal facility. A company Web site for the plant identifies it as "Hugo Neu-Proler, the nation's largest processor, recycler and exporter of high-grade steel scrap."

The fire started shortly after 11:30 p.m. on Monday.

Nearby residents in Wilmington and Hermosa Beach said the fumes from the fire were nauseating, but Kovacik said no serious injuries were reported. Longshoreman Carlos Ramirez told Kovacik that the fumes smelled like battery acid at about 1 a.m., and he told his mother, who suffers from asthma, to close up her home.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation.

If you want to look at all the pics.pics

Here's the video.

video

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast