Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Major haul from bacps show!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Ice Dragon,

Actually what happened to the stenophylla was one of the tendrils on the top of the plant got snagged on the metal grid of a bench as I was dragging it out of the greenhouse and it pulled the vine over and snapped it off near the base. Needless to say I was p'd off that had happened but was very happy it made someone happy. Yes you did get it for a very good price. In fact someone walked off with one of my ampularia giant red's for $37. Every plant on the auction table except for 2 were donated by me. For those of you in the area who did not attend you SERIOUSLY missed out on a great show. Between those of us who were vendors..there were so many plants for sale and so many varieties we could have filled a very large greenhouse to capacity. It was wonderful fun and I got to put some faces with screen names.

You would not have believed your eyes over the display plants. There was a collection of Pinguicula that was so outrageously beautiful they looked surreal. They literally made you gasp. I can't wait for next year's. Wouldn't it be cool if the BACPS and the LACPS rallied together and put on a huge combined show? Hmmmmmm <wink>

Phil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh, thanks for the stenophylla and the seeds again! BTW can you tell me any background info on it? Like what vendor it came from and the location it orginated?
    I thought it was a bit weird that the auction plants went for so low. I guess the people ran out of money... Tho not much of the sale plants went anywhere either... *shrug*
    Phil, you won't happen to have a pic of your grow area? I would love to see it!
    A combined show would be great! Though I think it would have to be hosted during summer vacation and in San Luis Obispo since that is about half way from the bay area and LA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea, no one really bought any plants [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't say nobody bought plants. I did very well, about $1000. So did my buddy Don. We were so busy we didn't have time to stop and eat. The auction plants went for so low because prior to the sale I placed minimum opening bids on every plant. I made them low cost so that people wouldn't have to shell out so much money. It helps spread great plants around to those who don't earn a Silicon Valley income. And it barely scratched my collection. I still have a few thousand plants.

Ice Dragon - I would love to share pics of my collection but you see..I don't own a digital camera. I may toy with the idea later on but for now I rely on visitors to take photos for post. The only history I have on the stenophylla is that I bought it as a small seed grown plant about 6 years ago from Chuck Powell. It came from Germany but that's all I know.

Phil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img] wow!

Yea no wonder i didnt sell any plants... no one can compete with phils plants! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoa, I think you two are the only ones who sold tho. Actually I was wondering why no one was bidding on the plants... I mean they all look so nice. The couple next to me bought a bunch of plants at the starting bid price! Hmm, visitors... would you mined if I became one of those visitors? hehe =P
    Wow you had that stenophylla for 6 years! What made you decide to give it up? Too many of them from cuttings?
    Nobody made a guess on the price... maybe I should post a pic on the nep board and see if anybody could guess it. =P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The auction was supposed to start promptly at 1:00. I don't think they started until 2:30 or so. By that time the main crowd had already filtered through and there were only a few people left. The plants that didn't go were put on my sales table and sold later anyways. Also, Sundays are not always the best day to host an event like this and coupled with the seriously scary torrential monsoon downpour we had earlier that morning I think it kept many people at bay.

I decided to let the stenophylla go because I often replace species in the collection with better quality plants. There's nothing wrong with it, I just got a much better clone. I knew who ever got it would love all the crowns this thing was sprouting and I wasn't interested in keeping any. So voila! You get the whole enchilada....er...Nepenthes [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Phil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea, i cant believe no one bought that ampullaria... geeez! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]

Phil you know i woulda bought it but i only had 15 bucks on me [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast