What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Target has a cp in its ad this week

Yeah, I saw them a few days ago. Most of them looked pretty good.

I saw some at walmart today, I was surprised by the how good they look. I didn't get any though, I only grow neps...

You call that a cobra lily?
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I'm with Jason. I'm wondering if that is a "Cobra Nest" plant. Check out these topics and corresponding pictures:

Cobra nest topic

Cobra nest

not a cobra lilly!
its a Sarracenia Wrigleyana..

not a good time of year to be buying Sarrs..they need to go into dormancy now..

yeah i think its either wrigleyana, or scarlett belle i bought mine from the same brand, and it turned out to be a scarlet belle

how can you tell if its a "regular" wrigleyana, or a scarlett belle?
(if its not labeled)
are there any distinct differences that make the "belle" stand out from a normal wrigleyana?
thanks,
Scot

oh..and in case anyone is confused.."scarlett belle" is a cultivar, a specific named variety of wrigleyana..
S. wrigleyana is a naturally occuring hybrid of S. leucophylla X S. psittacina.

So..a "scarlett belle" is always a wrigleyana,
but a wrigleyana is not necessarily a scarlett belle!

Scot

yeah, i agree, never seen a cobra lily like that before, the coloration gives it off.

nonono thats not scarlett belle OR cobra lily, its just plain old wrigleyana

Believe me, you'll know a scarlett belle when you see one
smile.gif

I've seen about 10 different pitcher plants, all labeled cobra lily. It seems to be a generic term for them in places like that. I just got three today, all of them HUGE. Full grown Judith Hindle, Cobra Nest, and an S. minor. Going in the bog tomorrow!

Craig

After seeing this thread I had to go to target and take a look.
I went there today and got this. Correct me if I am wrong but it looks like s. purpurea ssp. venosa to me. I also included the "cobra lily" label in the pic. There was this one and another like it, a couple of leuco hybrids, and a sad looking s. wrigleyana.

sarr%20purp%201rs.JPG

Heres a closeup...

sarr%20purp%202%20rs.JPG

definitely a purp there in the above post. i would think the wrigleyana in the ad is a scarlett belle, as it is in TC production and available wholesale. not sure if a plain ol' wriglyeana is being mass produced anywhere.

theres ALOT of labeling problems in the world, this makes it all better
smile_m_32.gif

Notice how all the plants in the "cobra lily" label are all sarrs.....
God forbid if they actually start selling darlingtonias in the stores as hard as it is to keep them alive.:O

I couldent resist myslef, and went out and bought me a beautiful what looks like purp X rubra hybrid, Very deep red, very nice, the only they had healthy although had early signs of spider mites, so I sprayed it first thing when I got home with a hoseplant insecticide!
SarrHybridTarget9_22_04.jpg

-Juan-Carlos
Miami, Florida
www.jcreef.bravehost.com

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Juan-Carlos @ Sep. 23 2004,12:01)]I couldent resist myslef, and went out and bought me a beautiful what looks like purp X rubra hybrid, Very deep red, very nice, the only they had healthy although had early signs of spider mites, so I sprayed it first thing when I got home with a hoseplant insecticide!  [imghttp://www.montipora.com/jcreef/misc/SarrHybridTarget9_22_04.jpg[/img]

-Juan-Carlos
Miami, Florida
www.jcreef.bravehost.com
that is purp x flava, or x catesbei, and a very nice one indeed!

Back