What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dodging bullets

Charlie hit Florida hard.
Francis hit Florida hard.
Ivan hit Florida even harder, went on up to New York, did a 180 and crossed directly over Palm Beach again Tuesday night as a tropical wave.  It dumped 4.5 inches of rain on Lauderdale, is now back in the Gulf of Mexico just south of New Orleans and has been upgraded to a tropical storm.
Jeanne which devastated Haiti…killing over well over 1000 people…is wandering around out in the Atlantic and has now turned west.  It looks like we may have to dodge yet another bullet.
Karl will probably head north and not bother anybody.
Lisa is about 3000 miles south by south east of Lauderdale and has been upgraded to a cat 2 hurricane.
Enough is enough.  I am tired of moving my plants in an out of the house.  At least one member of this fourm has suffered terribile damage to his home.
Florida is a great place to live but I can hardly wait until November 1 when the magazine is empty.

Lauderdale, does this sound about right?

1 Charlie
2 Francis
3 Ivan
4 Sale

I have been worried about you Lauderdale, so thanks for letting me know your roots are still on the pot, although your rosettes may be ragged. I'd say just move up here to NY, if it weren't for the snow and lack of bikini's. It's been quite a year! As for moving the plants in and out I can relate. Here it is the frost that is the villan, and more than once I have had to move hundreds of pots inside, then outside, then inside. That's the time I start feeling like Seymour taking care of Audrey. Take care!

You read my mind Schloaty.
1. sell house
2. buy beach condo on the 22 story of a very structurally sound condo I built there twenty years ago
3. if a hurricane approaches...push button to close shutters
4. drive to Lauderdale International Airport...park my car on third floor of the very structurally sound parking garage I built there ten years ago
5. enjoy my flight to Las Vegas
6. eat well
7. have a few drinks
8. look at all the pretty ladies
9. try not to lose too much at Binions poker tables
10. return to Lauderdale in November
Is that a good plan or what?

Noooo snow Tamlin. I see it in Colorado once a year for two weeks and that is enough. I like the beach.

Well the higher up you are the the less likely your area is to get wet... and the higher you are the stronger the winds. expecially near the coast!

1:30 PM Saturday.
Well, my hurricane shutters were up…For THE SECOND time in two weeks… by 10:00 this morning.  I stopped by Publix to pick up Fritos, cream cheese and pepperoni…standard storm food…and filled six gallon jugs of water to put in my freezer.
I then dropped by a local pub to have an early afternoon “pick me up”, chat with a few friends and am now safely hunkered down in my home enjoying homemade Hungarian Goulash and a glass of red wine.
Winds are out of the West at a steady 35 mph.  Tropical storm force…60 to 70 mph… winds are expected by about 8:00 and my electricity should go out about 9:00.  But I expect the phone to last till the hurricane force winds hit at about 2:00 AM.
Actually, reading a good book by the light of my granddad’s railroad lantern seems rather appealing.  This forced respite is almost welcome as it has been a very busy week.
Dyflam, to you guys at ground zero…Stuart/Fort Pierce…”Stay Frosty” and good luck.

Back