What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Silica sand

• Thread starter shokuchuu
  • Start date
Hi everyone
I bought a bag of sand today at a garden centre in the aquarium section.  It's sold as silica sand, but seems really brown for it to be.  Here's a pic of some washed sand:
445DSC01530.JPG

As you can see, there are quite a few clear granules, but there are browner ones and even black grains (probably not silica at all). I was wondering if this is safe to use to grow Pings and Drosera. Thanks!

Amori

Pings would be fine in this, For Drosera, I can't say. Most of the grains appear to be quartz, and it may be suitable, at least for some species. Generally, I use only white silver sand but if this is unavailable then I would say you will have a good experiment. I haven't much experimented since I have access to high quality sand from a local swimming supply vendor. It is sold for use in pool filters.

Thanks for the quick reply Tamlin!
I'm back from wacshing a bigger batch and it takes alot of rinsing fo rthe water to get clear. The waste looks like typical mud water.
I'm going to have to look around for swimming goods supliers... It won't be easy considering no house, as far as I know, has a pool in this city
laugh.gif
I'll try looking for sand blasting sand and white silver sand tomorrow.
Thanks again!

Amori

I use white sand blasting sand:) Personally I wouldn`t trust it try a plant or two in it and see how they do in a year. Make sure to do the fizz test too,I use phosperic acid for my "fizz" tests,but that stuff is nasty if it gets in your eyes you`ll go blinf if you taste it you`ll die!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Vinegar is more than strong enough to use on the fizz test. If you are in doubt about the results, just leave the sand sitting in the vinegar for a while.

No fizz from uncleaned or cleaned sand.

Good sign. I guess it should be fine but I`d still go for sand blasting:)

Back