Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fan vs no fan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having a bit of an argument over a guy that thinks im crazy telling him he needs a fan in his terrarium. I told him a fan would make healthier, sturdier plants, clears up the stagnant air, and it helps combat rot. Why wouldn't anyone want that? i mean its one thing for a drosera to make dew in a humid terrarium with no air circulation, but a completely other thing when its making it in a terrarium which is constantly blowing air at the thing, i think thats the real sign of health, i mean any drosera can make dew with its petioles tied behind its back, but it takes a really healthy one to keep up with this kind of environment.
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have a fan in my 55 gallon... i have noticed that the rh actually seems to increase with the fan... maybe i'm crazy, but that's what the gauge shows.

is the terrarium sealed? open? if it's sealed, you need a fan. for what it's worth, my 55 is about 1/2 open, and i have a 6" fan in it, blowing all the time...

peace,
    tech
    Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
    Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    his tank is covered completely
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is an invitation to rot and fungus. Frankly, it's seldom that a terrarium is needed at all.

There should be air circulation at all times, though not so much that the plants are being thrashed about. I have a 50-gallon tank with a little computer fan blowing inside, and have no fungus whatsoever. Stagnant air is a big no-no!

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have 2 cpu fans blowing air from the top of the terrarium to the bottom. they produce quite alot of circulation. My nep leaves are ALWAYS moving around and they seem to appreciated it, every leaf and every pitcher before than the last increases in size by id say at least 25% (my n. isamo kusakobe double in size if you compare the last pitcher to the one before that) and my coccinea didn't take a long time to acclimate (like it takes for most people) It produced its first pitcher a week after being in the tank.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the short run it's not absolutely necessary.. for example when I stick cuttings into a ziplock for a couple months to root. Long term terrarium though just a little air circulation is without a doubt extreamly important. I certainly would never ever consider not having circulating fans in my greenhouse even with the high natural aircirculation in there vs a small enclosed terrarium.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fan's are good.

somepeople have a humidifier attatched to their tank, so for them the internal fan inside the humidifier than blows the vapor up is enough- but i think a little extra air circulation always helps.

technoracer- the fan blows on the plants and substrate, which evaporates water and increases RH. it's like an evaporative cooler- but not really. .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you live in a area where the humidity is 25 often, like me, you need a terrarium!
    that makes no logic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast