What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alligator rescue

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
There are at least two Alligators in a nearby marsh. I don't have time to give many details right now but this far north they will not survive the winter. Does anybody knowof any rescue groups that will capture these gators?

If I am correct Ozzy, you live in Ohio.  Gators will not survive a winter that far north.
I would contact the Ohio Fish and Game Commission.  They should be able to help.
You did not say how big the critters are.  If they are three feet or under they should be easy to capture and would be of minimal danger to the captors.  You could even do it yourself.  However, if they are much larger than that...make sure your hospitalization is paid up.
What ever you do, do it soon, since cold weather is not all that far off up there.
Let me know how it goes.  I am interested in the outcome.
And, No, we do not need any more down here but the Columbus zoo might.

That is odd to have Alligators in Ohio.
smile_k_ani_32.gif
I wonder how they got there?

I suppose watching the croc hunter we should all have a good idea on how to catch them.
smile_n_32.gif
Good luck and keep us updated.

croc hunters meathod is a "croc"
laugh.gif
what he does sometimes is so dangerous
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I posted that this morning before I went to work and I didn't have time to give many details.

There are at least one gator or camen but there could be more. I believe there are two there. I'm almost sure that they were pets that were released because they got to big. (I'm not going to get into what a moron that guy is.) They look to be around 3 to 4 ft long. Plan A right now is to contact some zoo's and see if they will do it all themselves. If I have to I will try and set something up to capture them and then donate them to a zoo.
Plan B is to capture them and release them somewhere where they can survive and be away from people. I know of two places in NC that may be perfect for this.
If I have to do this it's going to cost me more money than I have. So I may call a different companies in the area and ask that they donate some of their services for free publicty.
Does anybody have any other ideas or do you see any problems with mine?
I've already scraped plan C. Mailing them to Lauderdale
smile_m_32.gif

Oh yeah, Does anybody want to come to my house and play Crocodile Hunter?

ill do it ozzy!
smile.gif
'

that was probably a hint hint to death66 and nick hubbell
smile_n_32.gif
First have an animal program/organisation do it for publicity, contact the newspaper, and donate the animals to a zoo.

to bad i wasnt closer. i would give it a go.......4 ft huh, shouldnt mean more than a few stitches and a reattached finger worse case senerio
smile_m_32.gif

Rattler

youd be surprised how much damage a little animal can inflict <<<<<<<<see avatar^

lol. the meanest animal ive ever come across was/is a dwarf hamster that is at my parents house. it made my black blood python that i had look like pussycat. and the python was named El Diablo for a reason. i need to get another one of those. beautiful snakes.

Rattler

Spec, that's only to little weaklings like you.

GASP!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There are at least one gator or camen but there could be more
you don't even know if it's an alligator or a caiman and already thinking of releasing it here in NC?!!! aren't you supposed to be the conservation moderator??? caimans aren't native to NC! not even to florida! they're an introduced species (duh... sometimes I just talk too much :p)
I say you call a wildlife rehab center or animal control or something. I doubt that zoo's will want to take them... for many reasons...

First of all, I just listed some of my plans. There is nothing concrete, yet. I just found out about this yesterday.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Plan B is to capture them and release them somewhere where they can survive and be away from people. I know of two places in NC that may be perfect for this.
Notice I said some where they can survive. Before I know if they can be released, anywhere, I need to know what we have. If they are caiman's then I'll have to find somebody that will take them in. I have been looking on the Internet and I have found some local shelters that will take them.
Anybody that knows me knows that I'm not going to release these into an environment that will be harmed by there presence. This will be well thought out before they are released anywhere.

I wonder if they are someones pets? How big are they? It is so hard to believe they would make it all the way to Ohio.
confused.gif

If you noticed, I said earlier that they are believed that they were pets that were released. There's no way they will survive the winter here.

there's also the issue about disease and stuff... I would much rather it be put in a shelter than released somewhere else.

They taste like chicken,or thats what I have heard.
biggrin.gif

Jerry

I already have very good news in this case.
I have written to many people trying to get backing or help in relocating these animals. I just recieved this response from The Arrowhead reptile rescue org.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I have spoken with the naturalists at the Nature Center and ODNR officials
regarding the illegally released crocodilians. A professional will be
trapping the animal (or animals) as soon as possible. It has already been
arranged for them to be transported to us once they are captured. We will
send the crocodilians to a wildlife sanctuary in the Everglades.

Please do not attempt to capture them on your own. Kids have already been
seen trying to go into the marsh looking for them. The park services are
concerned that a person or the animals will get hurt, so they are trying to
have them captured as soon as possible. The animals will not be killed or
harmed.

It is worthy of mention that the news media misquoted the park officials on
a number of issues. I have done many media interviews and I can attest to
this myself... please don't necessarily believe everything you hear or see
quoted by the media. In this matter a number of facts were misrepresented
and inaccurate.

Thanks for your concern regarding these animals. With any luck they will
soon be out of harm's way and en route to their natural habitat and a good