What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Its gonna blooooooooooooooooow!

Mt. St. Helens is scheduled to blow today or sometime this week! And scientists think that lava is going to come out this time!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Man I wanna see it explode
smile_m_32.gif

I am not sure the people who live in the area share your enthusiasm...
smile_l_32.gif

I wonder if the world is going to end, with all the hurricanes and now this...
confused.gif

Joe

Griffin, a hurricane and a volcano wont ruin the world
smile_m_32.gif
perhaps a eruption could send a huge amount of land into the water, causing a typhoon (is that it? omg i cant remember the name of those huge 80 foot waves), to send japan under the sea
smile_m_32.gif
but thats about it... Unless every single volcano went off at the same time
smile_k_ani_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ Sep. 30 2004,2:10)]I wonder if the world is going to end, with all the hurricanes and now this...
confused.gif

Joe
You will have to wait till the day after tomorrow! tee hee
smile_n_32.gif

I have some of that Volcanos ash, I wish I could see it blow to!

My question is;
If it erupted it would send a dust cloud in to the atmosphere, How would that effect the situation with the cycle of hurricannes? Could we end up with mud hurricannes? Also the massive amount of heat released into the atmosphere could cause disruptions for the natural air streams that carry around the world, pretty soon the currents will be heading in a southerly direction in the northern hemisphere. Might this cause a more southern distribution of ash and dust into the southern states who wouldn't normally see as much of it.

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ Oct. 01 2004,12:03)]My question is;
If it erupted it would send a dust cloud in to the atmosphere, How would that effect the situation with the cycle of hurricannes? Could we end up with mud hurricannes? Also the massive amount of heat released into the atmosphere could cause disruptions for the natural air streams that carry around the world, pretty soon the currents will be heading in a southerly direction in the northern hemisphere. Might this cause a more southern distribution of ash and dust into the southern states who wouldn't normally see as much of it.

Joe
They are sulfuric gases... They would rise, most likely causing high pressure areas within 400 miles of the eruption, but not much more than that
confused.gif

The term you are looking for are Tsunamis Spec. If a good quantity of the noxious gases from the volcano got into the atmosphere it would mess up everyone for a few days.

Cool, although from what I read they said it should be a rather small eruption as far as eruptions go. I've seen 3 volcanic eruptions. Mt. Redoubt twice (once was a nasty one where it blew away half it's top) and Mt. Spur erupted on my birthday a few years back.. talk about a quick ending to a birthday party lol
smile_n_32.gif

Hope y'all don't get dumped on by ash though. When Redoubt erupted there was so much ash it was dark as night out at noon.. looked like it was snowing grey..
That stuff is terrible for people with breathing problems (like asthma) and bad for cars, etc.

But it's fun to collect
smile_m_32.gif

Thanks for the correction Dustin, that was the term I was looking for...

isnt some of the ash like tiny needle size drops of volcanic ash??? sounds like fun!

he he he...
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Griffin, a hurricane and a volcano wont ruin the world perhaps a eruption could send a huge amount of land into the water, causing a typhoon (is that it? omg i cant remember the name of those huge 8 foot waves), to send japan under the sea but thats about it... Unless every single volcano went off at the same time
he he he...
so a volcano couldn't ruin the wolrd??? well, that's what almost got humans extinct a long while ago!!! The world population decreased to only thousands! it's not known exactly how many, but there are some estimates that at minimum (I think) it went to 3, 000 humans in THE WHOLE WORLD, and maximum of 11, 000. (or something like that...)
oh... and what volcano caused that kind of "horrible" thing? a supervolcano... there's one right under yellowstone park. It would sent HUGE amts. of ash into the atmosphere (TRILLIONS OF TRILLIONS of tons) and that would cause a "volcanic winter" over the whole world.
and an 8 foot wave is NOT close to a tsunami. let alone a megatsunami. a regular tsunami is like the one that hit hawaii. a megatsunami is MUCH bigger.

I meant 80 foot wave there...

No one REALLY knows if thats what happened to humans, and i highly doubt it... are you thinking of the little island in the mediterranean sea (starts with an A...) that had a volcano that erupted and killed everyone on the island?

Also, if a mod could change it to "shes gonna bloooooooooooooow" it would make the topic a little more humorous
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]killed everyone on the island?
not only on the island... and there's proof.
first of all, our mitochondrial DNA (passed from mom to children) shows that at about the same time of the explosion of the supervolcano, the world population really decreased. The polar ice also shows that there composition of the atmosphere changed around the world at that time, there was great fammon in europe and other places b/c of abnormal cold temps, etc...
and you mean that island that is believed to have been the base for atlantis? no... that was a tiny volcano :p
a supervolcano is HUGE!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Oct. 01 2004,3:20)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]killed everyone on the island?
not only on the island... and there's proof.
first of all, our mitochondrial DNA (passed from mom to children) shows that at about the same time of the explosion of the supervolcano, the world population really decreased. The polar ice also shows that there composition of the atmosphere changed around the world at that time, there was great fammon in europe and other places b/c of abnormal cold temps, etc...
and you mean that island that is believed to have been the base for atlantis? no... that was a tiny volcano :p
a supervolcano is HUGE!
nonono not atlantis...

And it didnt happen long ago anyways...(atlantis and this other island) MAYBE 2000 years ago... Every few hundred years something happens to humans that drasticly decreases the population (ie bubonic plague, potatoe blights, etc) And whos to say thats not what happened?  
smile_m_32.gif

but we're talking about the WORLD population! all you've said are localized things! the black plague was only in europe (and not ALL europe right?). it left alone asia, the americas, and africa.
the island in the mediterranean only affected some of the mediterranian around it. ... and I've got no clue what that potatoe thing is.
the only thing that could have happened w/ all the evidence is a supervolcano.

shes right

If anyone can visit Mt. St. Hellens, do it! It's an amazing place. All these years later the devistation from the last eruption still will blow your mind. Great place to visit.

smile_k_ani_32.gif

Glenn

actually, the great decrease in human population was from the great flood (take it biblicly or not, there WAS a worldwide flood at one time) And to make it short, every single volcano erupted during the flood
smile_k_ani_32.gif
well most anyway...

i assume you are talking about the glacial dam in washington state or the massive water rise in the red sea

Back