What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A day in the life...

Well,
Since I left the camera charger out there, and a lot of people have been hearing about it because they are requesting pictures, I figured I might share a little slice of paradise. My ranch is in West Texas on a 76-mile long lake. There is also a lot of land with cattle, which I forgot to photograph. Unfortunately I didn't photograph the last white bass I caught in the lake, or the spotted bass, but I took pics of a couple of largemouth bass and some bullfrogs at a pond on the ranch. I have pulled some pretty big bass outta there on the fly rod. I tried to photograph a roadrunner, but I couldn't get the camera out in time to get any. They wait a while, but the zoom isn't good enough for the distance I need on the ATV to stay quiet...

First a decent little largemouth that put up a good fight and has potential to get huge:
good%20bass.jpg

Next another bigger bass, but my hand is about a foot above it because I didn't want to keep it out long. This one was to fiesty to hold.

bassbig.jpg

Next a beautiful centipede on the screened porch. This one was about 10" long, but unfortunately there is no scale to measure it against in the photo:

centipede.jpg

A bullfrog in the side of the aforementioned pond. When I was walking to where I fish, one made its panic call and jumped. My heart rate was probably approaching 200 bpm. Scared me nearly to death. It broke the usual utter silence with quite a sound, but later popped up for just long enough to photograph.

frog%20cropped.jpg

Next a view from the very difficult road down. (There is a paved road, but I like to go out of the way to search for wildlife) I missed the beautiful sunset by about ten minutes... The point on the right is where I fish from when I am at the lake, but I am about 200 feet above the lake, plus back a good ways from the shore on a hill...

point.jpg

Heres the same point, but from next to it. This is where I catch the white bass (way out there wading and with a very far cast for a fly rod) and the spotted bass, stripers, etc.

lake%20010.jpg

And some deer that were pretty curious. I saw a ton more, but only decided to pull the camera out once...

deer.jpg

Hopefully I will be out there next weekend to get the charger back and take some more pictures, if you'd like to see something, let me know, we've got it all! I will gladly look for whatever it is next time I'm there!
Enjoy,
John
smile.gif

party-smiley-047.gif

Very nice.

Thanks finch! I know you are into birds, I'll try to get some for you... I think I could get:
blue heron
white heron
roadrunner
pelicans in the spring and in a few months the loons and ducks will be comin this-a-way!
smile.gif

Looks like a very large Scolopendra heros?(the centipede)

Party at lithopsman!

cool! beautiful property.

AWSOME centepede!
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]When I was walking to where I fish, one made its panic call and jumped. My heart rate was probably approaching 200 bpm. Scared me nearly to death
LOL! I HATE it when they do that. good thing I don't have any heart problems.
there's such a thing as a white heron? I've heard of great egrets and stuff but never of a white heron.

Yeah, Great white heron. Forgot sci name or if it is still considered a seperate species from the great blue?

Well... (lugs one of his many bird guides out)

The birds we most commonly refer to as waders are members of the family Ardeidae witch is comprised of four subfamilies (the herons and egrets, the night-herons, the bitterns, and the tiger herons)

Most are closely associated with water and use their daggerlike bill to catch fish. The name heron is generally used for the darker plumaged species, while the term egret is uded for white species. Both are interchangeable and genneraly correct considering that despite the differences in plumage, all species are closely related. Oh and theres a rare whitre morph of the common species Great Blue Heron found in southern florida (great white heron). These birds are generally tame and found often around human habitations.

Hey! are those racoon tracs on the mud in the picture of that bigger bass?

They are indeed! It's amazing what you see out there. I love to go out at night and spotlight (not hunting, just looking) Recently I saw a badger loping along the road in their typical curious way of walking. I have a little checklist for birds in that area and it has white heron listed. I always referred to them as egrets, but as stated they are interchangable. Any more requests for photos? As for the party, buy a plane ticket, and be ready to drive an hour and fifteen minutes. I'm there!
smile_n_32.gif

laugh.gif
Lol

Back