What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One pissed off bug

After pissing off this Carolina mantid with my prodding finger, I took some shots. Not the most natural habitat I know, but had to suffice as the sucker kept running around during photo session. Managed to get some shots though.

mnt.jpg

Here she is, pissed off, but not quite sure where the threat is.

blff.jpg

"Aha, there you are!"

blff2.jpg

Gotta love that wing patterning, who says only exotic mantids are cool?

By this time she has the sense that the camera is the true threat.
blf3.jpg

"One step closer(hsss...), and I'll show you who's boss!"

By rubbing the side of the abdomen to the second pair of wings(see how that wing is rubbing against the abdomen in this pic?), she makes a loud hissing sound, which definetly adds to the drama and makes the bird or whatever it is think twice!

Hehe! That is so cool! Not even the strongest CPs (well, maybe neps) could handle that thing. o_O'''

I thought she was waving at the camera!

LOL Jimscott: If you saw it in life, you would not agree! I was cautious with poking her with my finger as I knew that she would grab it if pissed off too much

Mijako: Well, If your plant had pitchers around 5-6 inches I think it might be able to digest it but I wouldn't have the heart to do that.

thats beautiful!

Great shots.

Shes Awsome! She looks gravid too.

In the second picture it looks like she was conducting an orchestra.

Finch: I haven't heard the term, 'gravid' used in SOOOOOO long. I normally hear it applied to livebearing tropical fish, like guppies. It doesn't go over too well when applying it to my wife or other human type females. Neither did an old supervisor's term - "prego".
smile_m_32.gif

Sweet shots! My favorite insect!
smile.gif

eeehhh... awsome pics BUT I'm 99.99% sure that's not a carolina mantis... must be an european mantis.

Unlikely, as they arnt any widespread introduced colonies. Alpha how have you come to this conclusion? TAking into account regional color varietys and subspecies, the coulor range of this species is quite broad

in my book it says they're widespread in the east.
hmm... I don't know... :p I'm not so sure now.

perhaps they're more widespread then my scorces tell me...

This is a Carolina Mantid. European ones(yes, they are quite widespread, and they occur hear) are different. For one, this gal is not very large, maybe 2 inches or so, European mantids get almost 2x the length. The wings of this mantid also only go about 3/4ths of the way down her abdomen, so the rear part is bare(guess you can't tell in these pics). She also lacks those interesting "Eye spot" Markings that M. religiosa carries on her front legs. I found what appeared to be a pesticide sprayed European a week or so ago, frazzled up antennae and didn't look to hot.

I agree about the orchestra part...hehe

Anyone remember the pic of a mantis that caught a hummingbird?
smile_k_ani_32.gif

That's a wonderful set of photos! I used to raise African mantids (S. lineola if I remember right) as a hobby/pet.

There aren't enough books with good photos like yours! You really ought to submit this photo set to http://www.Corbis.com so your images can be used in future Mantis books/print media and you'll get paid!

The wings of this mantid also only go about 3/4ths of the way down her abdomen
so it's a female? b/c it's an adult... but females are supposed to have wings 1/2 way down... not 3/4... so could it be a 3/4 grown male?(the wings don't make sense though)
dyflam, are you talking about the video? I remember a disc. channel mantis video where they showed a mantis eating a hummingbird... also a mouse and a snake
biggrin.gif

I didn't know about that spot thing! so 90% of the mantids I"ve seen are european??? go figure.... I live in NC and only see european mantids :p

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dyflam @ Oct. 05 2004,5:38)]Anyone remember the pic of a mantis that caught a hummingbird?
smile_k_ani_32.gif
I had the link in my favorites, but cleaned it out a couple months ago. The site had been taken down
smile_h_32.gif

Carolina mantid males are much smaller than females and have wings going all the way down the abdomen.

Swords: I dunno if I would consider these good shots, but that is a pretty interesting thought.

How big did those lineola get...I heard 6 inches.

Back