What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Target sells cps?

I was at target, buying some stuff, when I passed the plant area (the little small one they have inside the store).
I noticed a small pot with a rather big green plant

turns out it is a Sarracenia purpurea (purple pitcher plant).
but they were advertising it (a little card stuck in the pot), calling it a cobra lily.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

purple pitchers and cobra lilies look NOTHING alike, (only that they are pitcher plants).

just thought I would point it out.
but I bought one anyways. I live in the desert and wasnt sure which plants would survive here.. and when I saw my local target had a CP... I, well... freaked...I was happy that a CP actually survived indoors in the desert without any special care being done to it.

well, my CP is doing good after 2 weeks.
I make sure it sits in a water dish for that extra moisture, make sure it is moisture on the spugum (sp?)

It doesnt catch much... mainly nats.. is that enough?

Yes target sells cps... I wouldnt reccomend buying them since they heavily fertilise them and water them with tap water on arrival.

Ours doesn't. They only have "floral displays". Those Phillistines!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Patch @ Oct. 05 2004,1:04)]I noticed a small pot with a rather big green plant
turns out it is a Sarracenia purpurea (purple pitcher plant).
but they were advertising it (a little card stuck in the pot), calling it a cobra lily.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

purple pitchers and cobra lilies look NOTHING alike, (only that they are pitcher plants).
Welcome to the world of marketing. What you tell the customer doesn't have to be completely true...it just has to sell the product.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I bought one anyways. I live in the desert and wasnt sure which plants would survive here.. and when I saw my local target had a CP... I, well... freaked...I was happy that a CP actually survived indoors in the desert without any special care being done to it.
CPs are remarkable plants and I find that many of them will tolerate low humidity quite well. There are exceptions. I have a N. gracilis that I got from schloaty a while back that is growing quite well other than not pitchering. I will be modifying a terrarium to give it a place with more humidity soon.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]spugum (sp?)
Sphagnum or if your from England it's spagnum. Same thing they just drop the h or we stick one in depending on what your use to seeing.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It doesnt catch much... mainly nats.. is that enough?
They will do fine on that. They get most of their nourishment through photosyntehsis and the bugs give them the little bit of nitrogen that is lacking in they soils in which they normally grow.

If they are growing fine this long after you got them they will be fine until next year. Then you get to mess with dormancy
biggrin.gif
!

Welcome to the forums Patch!!

yeah target sells them regretibbally (sp?) i got an advirtisement in them about 2 weeks ago selling S. "Judith hindle", and wrigleyana as cobra lilies the sad part is that barely any survive, good job keeping your alive though

Back