What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frog in my plants

• Thread starter Lauderdale
  • Start date
This frog has taken up residence in my Dixie Lace water tray.  When I add water every morning, this little guy (about the size of a dime) pops his head up for a breath of air.
The suction like toes lead me to believe it is some type of tree frog but the others I see hanging on the side of my house are a very light tan.

Can anyone ID this guy?
frog_001.jpg

He is obviously well fed.

At first I thought your topic title said "Frog in Pants". hehe
smile.gif

He's so cute! I wouldn't mind having a little froggie in my pLants.

I'm I going blind? I don't see toe pads :p
I can tell you this- it's not a green/gray/squirrel/pine barrens tree frog... nor a cricket frog... which are pretty much the only tree frogs I know
smile.gif

Looks to be in the Hyla genus. Ie american treefrogs. I can see some diminished toepads from that picture. Perhaps one from above would help... Looks like a barking treefrog from what I can see. Correct me if I'm way wrong, even though I've been herping since the age of 4.
smile_m_32.gif

me too... but in mexico and I didn't know the names b/c it's hard to find field guides there and it's REALLY hard to find people that tell you the truth... WAY too many myths... here too!
the most annoying time was when I was telling this stupid guy
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
that he was wrong (in a nice way of course!) about thinking that a brown snake was a copperhead... well, he completely ignored me!!!!!!!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
*goes crazy*!!!

PAK.. LMFAO

For a long time, toads have seemed to see my bigger CP pots as guest rooms.. almost all the time, there's at least one plump little toad in either the Judith Hindle pot or the S. minor pot. Right now there's one little dark one in the minor pot. He leaves, then comes back later on, then leaves for a while, then comes back a few hours later. It fascinates me that they have the capacity to remember exactly where to come back to, exactly how to get all the way back to the top shelf, exactly what pot to get into, and exactly how to get into it, no matter whether the greenhouse is rolled out to the end of the patio in the sun or up against the house for night, the toad always knows exactly where to come back to every day.

*creepy voice*

They're getting smaaaaaaaaarterrrrrrrrrrrr....

hum. do you also have tadpoles?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]They're getting smaaaaaaaaarterrrrrrrrrrrr....
nah... you just hadn't noticed how smart they are.
people always underestimate those "dumb animals"

I haven't really observed if toads return to the same shelter, though they may have a slight capacity to do so. More likely they just cozy up in the nearest moist hole after a good night of foraging.

My guess would be that that is a cricket frog-due to lack of toe pads but being confined to CA I haven't seen any other hylids besides P. regilla in the wild before.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] though they may have a slight capacity to do so. More likely they just cozy up in the nearest moist hole after a good night of foraging.
see what I mean?

GOD must we start this AGAIN.. THIS IS RIDICULOUS. I never said any animal was a "dumb animal". I'm not like that. I don't go along with the philosophy that we are the kings of the world and all other species were created for no other reason than to serve our needs. I believe animals are extremely intelligent. I did NOT say I was surprised the toads aren't totally stupid. I just said it's FASCINATING to me that they.. I don't know how else to say this, but, can.. 'figure' to leave to God-knows-where during one part of the day or night and then manage to return to the exact same place later on in the day/night.

Sorry if I sound like I just now snapped, but I'm not in a real good mood right now and this crap is starting to piss me off.. that's all that is.

you missunderstood me. I never said you said that. I was just talking about how the general public thinks.
that's why I said "PEOPLE always..."

Chickens are very smart,despite what people say. So I would say animals in general are much smarter then we give them credit for. Btw. nice to see you on here again FTG:)

..Again? Did I leave again without me telling me? Gosh.

Honestly, I can't get on that often.. usually on weekends, when I have the whole day free.. it's great when I get done sifting through all the new crap on the boards I go to and I'm no longer pressured to get on and get it over with all the time, because it's then done -_^ I am one weird person. I RARELY get to go through anything but General Discussion when I get on here, and that makes me feel like SUCH a BAD member.. LOL!

TheAlphaWolf: I was just speculating, since a scientist did a study with newts of the genus Taricha and found out that they almost always returned to the same breeding pool(now, breeding pool affinity and shelter affinity are probably 2 different stories). He marked some of the newts and transfered them 9 MILES away. Within the next 5 years, many of them returned to the original breeding pools! Incredible feat considering the distance and that they had to cross a mountain and streams.

Edit: The species was rivularis...if anyone wants to see the percentage that returned during the experiment I could dig it up.

and you consider that
[/QUOTE] a slight capacity to do so.
confused.gif

I wouldn't be able to do that! probably even if you re-located me 2 miles :p
and many animals do that. Snakes, crocodillians, salmon, turtles, pidgeons, etc...

hmmm.. I tried everything... why isn't the quote thing working?

General Public=Mindless Zombies

At least from what I've seen.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I haven't really observed if toads return to the same shelter, though they may have a slight capacity to do so. More likely they just cozy up in the nearest moist hole after a good night of foraging.

Appha when he said this he wasnt refering to their smartness,s just the animals behavior.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
a slight capacity to do so. the / quote should be at the end not the front
smile.gif

I knew that... :p
but I remember clicking the "quote" button.... maybe I clicked it twice or something.
strange.

Back