What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaving my plants for 3 weeks!

We're remodelling here, and I have to move out of my house for 3 weeks while they do the floors and some other stuff. So all the plants have moved into the basement, and I'm having a plant-sitter come and water them. I'm very nervous, because I lost some plants this way before, including my prized D. rotundifolia "Big Lagoon" from BobZ.
smile_h_32.gif

However, my plant sitter learned from that experience and did much better the next couple times I was away. But this is the longest I've been gone before. I HATE leaving my plants!

I'll have internet where I'm staying, so I'll be checking in here constantly since I can't sit and stare at my plants.

Capslock
smile_t_32.gif

I hope they make it for you. Hey if you`re U.subulata dies.....

but just thinks of how they will have changed when you get back!

hey... good point! (if it's changing for the best
confused.gif
)

That's the best part. I have a big N. ovata pitcher about to open that will be open when I get back, and a few other new pitchers on the way. It will either be good or real bad when I get back.
blues.gif

Capslock

I hope it`s the former:) Btw when you gonna cut back that aristo x thorelli as I`m now very confident with my cutting growing skills:) and maybe I can send you something you don`t have if I have anything???

Wish you luck Caps!

BTw, is there any nep that would look different from my ventrata and yet be able to survive similar conditions? Thanks! That ventrata is doing quite well(being a ventrata of course) and I couldn't thank you more for your generosity of giving away this plant at your own cost.
smile.gif

i dont know your conditions, but i'm going to go ahead and say miranda.

When I had to leave my plants for extended period.

I used colored sticky dots and put one on each pot
I drew up a simple key for each color

red eg. might be water 1 x week
blue keep tray 1" deep of water at all times
green water 2 x week

You get the idea. Worked well for my plant sitter who hadn't ever grown carnies before.

Good luck,
Kirk
Fitchburg, Massachusetts

pond boy,
I plan on making cuttings when I get back. That will be about three weeks from now, so I'll probably get to do it within a month. One bummer is a nice upper pitcher is developing and it will be opening right around that time. But it's outgrown its area, and has a nice basal rosette happening. Plus, it gets more of 'em out there. (btw, the "reserved cutting" list is full. If I have more, I'll post 'em in the trade forum.)

Capslock

Excellent idea, Kirk! I'll have to do that for the next person. The girl I have now has it all drilled into her.
biggrin.gif

Capslock

Thanks Caps! Will this be from an upper pitcher produceing vine then? How many nodes will it have? Got any pics of the mother plant? Want some D.tokaiensis seed(or a mature plant or a bunch of leaf cuttings or....)?

Well Caps, today is your birthday! Hope you have a good one!

Yes I hope you have a great b-day too!

Back