User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone growing gourmet mushrooms?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive been looking to experiment with cooking this winter and wanted to try some stuff with mushrooms. some like shiitake are supposed to go good with the dark rich meats like elk and deer that i hope to have a freezer full of. well i looked at the local grocery store and they go for like $6 and up for 1/3 of a pound!!!!!!! and they aint even fresh! anyways after a bit of research today i found growing kits for most like shiitake, portobellos, wine caps and oysters. from around $25 a piece and you can get a several pounds or more from some of the kits. so does anyone have any experiance with these kits?

Rattler
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mmmm... mushrooms.... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]

i dont have any experiance but i've heard that they are REALLY easy. just soak in water and wait.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are you talking about the fungi perfecti ones? I'd like to try them some day...
    the only experience growing mushrooms I have is when I bring in a mushroom cap and lay it on top of my pots. now i get these cool mushrooms every time we water them a lot [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have played around with them. They are fun but I think the stated yield is a bit of a hit and miss.. maybe if you have ideal conditions you can get what they say.

Not sure what you mean by the ones in the store not fresh. Do you mean dried? Mushrooms are almost all water. So by the time you get several pounds of fresh mushrooms your probably breaking even on the price of the kit plus shipping etc, if you compare to dried.

Most of those mushrooms have alot of flavor too so you don't need many to make an impact in your cooking. 3 or 4 dried poopake is enough to flavor a nice sauce so one 4oz package of dried mushrooms will go a long way.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Asian markets around us sell lots of different dried mushrooms and fungi. My wife is more into mushrooms than I am and keeps a lot of them around. They're cheap and keep forever, so it's a great way to have something other than white button mushrooms. Though I'd be happy with less of them.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fungi are cool! I like fungi...
    did you know that there are fungi that glow in the dark? aldough they're poisonous :P I want some....
    I've eaten wild mushrooms.... made completely sure they were safe to eat though. they were good! now I want to try puffballs... the thing is that I never find them when they're edible OR there aren't enough.
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    poopake mushrooms in asian stores are almost always found dried and salted. You soak them first. Not sure about elk and deer, but they are delicious with beef and broccoli

I was looking at some kits myself. I think it would make a cool b-day gift for my dad, whose bday is in November.
    A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and fungi are very important too! amazing, important, cool-looking, many are edible, what else could you want?
    yes... they WOULD make a good birthday present! you could also give him some mycorhizzal fungi if he likes plants [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast