Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The hole in the ozone!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Oh for the love of god... cant you ever agree with me? please?
    not if you're wrong
    Quote[/b] ]What man contributes to pollution and global warming and all that stuff is less than .1% of what nature contributes
    again... what the heck do you mean by that? I don't care how long you spend typing LOL (ain't I nice?)
    Quote[/b] ]And the ozone hole hardly contributes a thing to global warming
    then what does? the ozone depletion problem allows UV rays to come through which warm us (that's what burns us if we're in the sun too long)

Quote[/b] ]And to tell you the truth, coral loves UV light
    they like the current levels of UV. not more. they're very fragile. when you have more UV light that WARMS UP THE WATER (it's not just that there's UV light... it's what brings with it) and causes coral bleaching.

Quote[/b] ]average temperatures fluctuate from century to century
    that's not the point.
    you need to look at the BIG picture. GLOBAL climate. sure, there'll always be a hole in the ozone layer somewhere or other, and climate will change over milenia, but that's not the point. it's how fast those changes are ocurring... and WHY.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]UHM.... and where does coal come from? PLANTS! that means that that same material was in the atmosphere at SOME time...
    What humans burn is nothing compared to the damage wildfires cause every year
    Also if sea levels rise so what? Sea levels risee and fall everytime.
    you keep missing the big picture!!!
    like finch said, yes, the carbon WAS in the atmosphere at some time or another, but not all at the same time!
    and many wildfires are CAUSED BY humans! and yes, there are natural wildfires but like in CA, where they don't allow things to go naturally, humans have made wildfires WORSE.
    and yes, the sea level rises and falls periodically but not so fast!
    you also said (aim) that you got all your facts from the textbook... well, you said that textbooks were crap (in the evolution.. i mean war on squirrels :P thread). and then you said that textbooks on evolution were crap but not on ozone/global warming... well that makes sense.
    you were also nagging people that they didn't answer all questions? well, why don't you answer my question?
    give me websites about your "facts"! (good, scientific ones... not some extremist group website or something)
    and you said that most of what they say about evolution was proved wrong... well, give me examples!
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    spec, corals aren't adaptable like we are. they are extremely fragile and if their zooxanthelae (spelling?) algea dies, THEY die! this includes giant clams and sea anemones.

don't tell me that nature contributes to global warming. people are chopping down forests like they'r going out of style (where , they are!). the loss of millions of acres of (rain) forests provides no where for the greenhouse gasses to go (like the carbon dioxide that humans exhale!) so it eats away at the ozone.

i can't wait untill you get out there are find out what things are really like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh yeah and for the record i answered everything AFAIK to the squirrel thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you know you guys for the last couple hundred thousand years this planet has been yo-yoing in and out of ice ages. right now we are on a temperature up-wing, in fact we are in enough of an up swing that one European country(i forget which but i heard it on the news yesterday) is laying claim to mineral rights in the arctic circle because they are hedging their bets that the ice is going to melt enough to make oil drilling profitable cause the ice is going to be thinner. given current thinking and regulations its going to be hard for us to "wipe out" the planet. while ppl are living longer birth rates are dropping off, how often do you hear of a family with 12 kids anymore? my dad is one of 12, my mom is one of 7, not unusual 40-50 years ago but to day being that im one of 4 im consdered to be in a large family in a first world nation. gas prices are making ppl look seriously at electric/hydrogen powered cars for the first time. law suits are forcing big mining operations and such to behave them selves. while you read alot about the "disappearing" rain forest, the fact is they arent telling you that the forest is taking over areas previously cut down at a faster rate than they are being cut down over the last few years. so the worlds rain forests are actually growing now. granted we have lost and will continue to loose species remember no species(except maybe the cockroach :P ) will last forever including us. new species will evolve and are continuing to evolve.

more than anything im worried about "global virus's" you can be any where in the world in about 24 hours, that is going to lead to some serious spreading of bad "bugs". our drugs are nothing like penicilin was. virus's and bacteria are evolving faster than drug companies can keep up.

thats my rant for today. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Rattler
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]no where for the greenhouse gasses to go (like the carbon dioxide that humans exhale!) so it eats away at the ozone
    eeehhh... those are CFC's.. One molecule of CFC has the ability to destroy 100,000 molecules of ozone.
    I don't think CO2 or methane or other greenhouse gases (BIG picture... there are MANY greenhouse gases and you can't just look at one thing)
    and while the MOST dangerous CFC's have been banned in some countries, they still produce and use less dangerous CFC's (not that they don't destroy O3... as much as I hate to say it, my own fridge uses CFC's. it has a warning label on the side of the freezer door)
    and spec, look at that chart. you can see that while the CO2 increase hasn't been that dramatic, methane has.
    http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Lib.../warming4.html
    Quote[/b] ]while you read alot about the "disappearing" rain forest, the fact is they arent telling you that the forest is taking over areas previously cut down at a faster rate than they are being cut down over the last few years. so the worlds rain forests are actually growing now.
    no... they're NOT growing. The rate of cutting/burning down is MUCH faster than the rate at which they're growing back. once again, someone is missing the big picture. just because a little tiny portion of rainforest is growing back, that doesn't mean that rainforests are growing now!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]new species will evolve and are continuing to evolve.
    but they're being killed off MUCH faster than they can evolve!

how many times do I have to say that it's not as simple as that?

now, I don't know if this is true, but the point is that MANY MANY MANY species are going extinct every DAY!

There is no way of knowing if any of the 100 species of plants that go extinct every day hid similar miracles. http://www.animaland.org/asp/realissues/endangered5.asp

Our species, Homo sapiens, blatantly caused approximately 578 species of the web of life to go extinct. This extinction rate equals one species of life going extinct every 2 minutes and 30 seconds. Millions of people are at work legally day and night, quickly destroying the richest place there is for life on Earth, the Rainforests. For every legal worker there are perhaps as many as 5 illegal workers destroying the Rainforests
    http://www.september112001.net/

hundreds of footballfields of the AMAZON are being cut down every single day. now... you can't possibly tell me that the rainforest is growing faster than that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    co2 is a greenhouse gas, not the only one. i was using that as an example because in my opinion, it's easier for most people to relate to.

my inhaler has produces cfc's/has cfc's in it [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast