Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The hole in the ozone!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]It also means destruction of habitats for animals int he arctis region such as penguins.
    very true! even right now, polar bears and other animals are having that problem!
    and photosynthetic plankton LOVES cool temperatures. There are HUGE algal blooms near artantica which brings in krill which in turn is eaten by whales. if it's hotter, there won't be as much photosynthetic plankton which MAKES oxygen and is food for many many many things.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]and truthfully I heven't read the topic.
    I suggest you read it... we've already adressed what you have to say.

you've only given me one reference... a textbook I cannot read and that talks about religion along with science and hides facts. I've given you plenty that you can read. not enough? here's another one.
    Quote[/b] ]Second, researchers have measured nearly all known gases containing chlorine in the stratosphere. They have found that the emissions of the human-produced halocarbons, plus the much smaller contribution from natural sources, could account for all of the stratospheric chlorine. Third, the increase in total stratospheric chlorine measured between 1980 and 1998 corresponds to the known increases in concentrations of human-produced halocarbons during that time
    http://www.greennature.com/article1091.html
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Oct. 14 2004,8:27)]
    Quote[/b] ]It also means destruction of habitats for animals int he arctis region such as penguins.
    very true! even right now, polar bears and other animals are having that problem!
    and photosynthetic plankton LOVES cool temperatures. There are HUGE algal blooms near artantica which brings in krill which in turn is eaten by whales. if it's hotter, there won't be as much photosynthetic plankton which MAKES oxygen and is food for many many many things.
    uhhhh! Polar bears live in the northern latitudes!

True, CFC's CAN cause enhance the greenhouse effect, BUT we're talking about the ozone layer here, correct?? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

I'm kinda lost...

Quote[/b] ] compltely disagree.
    An ozone hole means that the powerful ultraviolet rays to get through.
    The result:

Antarctica is slowly compltely melting away.
    Many more chunks of ice are breaking off and as these too melt, the worlds oceans are slowly rising.
    It also means destruction of habitats for animals int he arctis region such as penguins.
    Dino you don't even know what UV rays are, they don't cause heat... even thealphawolf has to agree with me on THAT!

And Wolf, many of the great scientists were creation scientists...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also like to add this:

Quote[/b] ]people ignore facts that are inconvenient to them & believe ideas that are convenient to them.
    That is completely true and you're doing it right now AlphaWolf [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

As for the textbook, its because I go to a religious school.

I'm so glad I was homeschooled [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ Oct. 14 2004,1:03)]

True, CFC's CAN cause enhance the greenhouse effect, BUT we're talking about the ozone layer here, correct?? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

I'm kinda lost...

The result:

Many more chunks of ice are breaking off and as these too melt, the worlds oceans are slowly rising.
    It also means destruction of habitats for animals int he arctis region such as penguins.
    Dino you don't even know what UV rays are, they don't cause heat... even thealphawolf has to agree with me on THAT!

Actually.............
    I have read in the book that UV rays are blocked by the Ozone layer.
    Too much of these, adn you burn.
    When you go red ont he beach, that is the result of a little UV rays.
    Imagine waht a lot can do.
    Yes, but these thigns are accosiated.
    There is a hole int he Ozone layer.
    Hot UV rays get through.
    they melt the ice int he Arctic.
    they warm up the Arctic ocean.
    Penguins/Polar BVears loose their habitat.
    There will be less cold loving plants and animals.
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Starman @ Oct. 14 2004,10:40)]
    Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ Oct. 14 2004,1:03)]

I'm kinda lost...

The result:

Actually.............
    I have read in the book that UV rays are blocked by the Ozone layer.
    Too much of these, adn you burn.
    When you go red ont he beach, that is the result of a little UV rays.
    Imagine waht a lot can do.
    Yes, but these thigns are accosiated.
    There is a hole int he Ozone layer.
    Hot UV rays get through.
    they melt the ice int he Arctic.
    they warm up the Arctic ocean.
    Penguins/Polar BVears loose their habitat.
    There will be less cold loving plants and animals.
    o.......... m.......... g..........

Ok, I'll quickly explain what UV rays do...

UV rays are a form of radiation that comes from the sun. You can't see it, can't feel it, and it's not physical heat (light ITSELF is heat, not UV!)

On a summer day, dont be fooled if it's a cloudy sky... the UV will go right through. Only ozone (primarily) can stop the UV... Anyway, UV isn't what's going to melt the Antarctic...

The ozone layer blocks UVA, UVB, and UVC. All of the UVC is blocked, none of it gets through. Be exposed to a little bit of that and you'll get skin cancer by morning [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

It would take a COMPLETE depletion of the ozone layer to let ANY UVC though. I would explain what makes Ozone, how UVC helps, and all that, but i'd be typing another 40 minutes...

And at any rate, the UV radiation isn't physical heat...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TheAlphaWolf is right; no credible science textbook invokes religious doctrine. There simply is no intersection between the two, and the potential for doctrine to undermine scientific data is simply too great for the two to co-exist in a textbook. Religion is about faith, and science is about data.

In any case, it's clear, Spec, that you are being exposed to a politically conservative set of information on the environment. While I'm sure that, overall, you're getting a (much) better education than if you were in the public schools here in California, you should be aware that you are not getting an objective viewpoint, and that you should do some of your own research into all sides of issues like this.

The US is the lone holdout on the Kyoto environment agreements, and is at odds with the rest of the world on global warming. Oh, and guess who economically gets hurt by new environmental regulations on greenhouse gasses? Energy companies! This explains the objections of the current administration.

However, there is distortion and uncertainty on both sides, as climatic changes do happen naturally, and it's hard to tell what is responsible for the current rapid upswing in temperatures. There are enough interest groups on both sides to make any individual bit of information suspect.

However, the world-wide consensus is that there is rapid warming due to our pollution. It's one of those areas where it's better to be safe than sorry, too. The stakes of being wrong about it are far worse if there IS global warming due to our pollution than if there isn't.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast