User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 65 to 72 of 120

Thread: The hole in the ozone!

  1. #65
    God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Lafayette, IN
    Posts
    1,559
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it just me, or is that whenever religion/evolution is brought up, Spec is always on the forefront? LOL We need more leaders that are that bold!
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I would also like to add this:

    Quote
    people ignore facts that are inconvenient to them & believe ideas that are convenient to them.I would also like to add this:
    Spec, I would think you'd be used to that as many beatings as you take from people. LOL

    Anyway, sorry, I just had to poke a little fun cause this topic is getting sorta heated. I've seen a lot about the "squirrel topic". I didn't read it, and I have a feeling it got locked.

    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I'm so glad I was homeschooled
    I'm homeschooler, what luck, I know homschoolers on the world wide web, that aren't just my close aquatances(sp)

    I was gonna say somethin about the topic, but then I forgot what I wanted to say, and since I've already typed all of the stuff above, that's all you'll get. Oh how heated these topics are! Isn't it great! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    ~Wes~

    My plants are going green to save the environment

    My Growlist

  2. #66

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Central Coast of California
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Capslock @ Oct. 14 2004,10:55)]TheAlphaWolf is right; no credible science textbook invokes religious doctrine. There simply is no intersection between the two, and the potential for doctrine to undermine scientific data is simply too great for the two to co-exist in a textbook. Religion is about faith, and science is about data.

    In any case, it's clear, Spec, that you are being exposed to a politically conservative set of information on the environment. While I'm sure that, overall, you're getting a (much) better education than if you were in the public schools here in California, you should be aware that you are not getting an objective viewpoint, and that you should do some of your own research into all sides of issues like this.

    The US is the lone holdout on the Kyoto environment agreements, and is at odds with the rest of the world on global warming. Oh, and guess who economically gets hurt by new environmental regulations on greenhouse gasses? Energy companies! This explains the objections of the current administration.

    However, there is distortion and uncertainty on both sides, as climatic changes do happen naturally, and it's hard to tell what is responsible for the current rapid upswing in temperatures. There are enough interest groups on both sides to make any individual bit of information suspect.

    However, the world-wide consensus is that there is rapid warming due to our pollution. It's one of those areas where it's better to be safe than sorry, too. The stakes of being wrong about it are far worse if there IS global warming due to our pollution than if there isn't.

    Capslock
    But what I really wonder about, is what would have happened to this thread if i had just taken out the one sentence with God in it? Would everyone have said the same thing? Or would TheAlphaWolf said "Oh wow you're right" and the topic would just sink down into oblivion?

    Just 'cause a textbook has God in it here and there, doesn't make it a crumby book in which all data in there is false/faulty...

    "In any case, it's clear, Spec, that you are being exposed to a politically conservative set of information on the environment."

    Maybe that's why I asked for some links to articles from OTHER viewpoints? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] You never really know for SURE if you haven't read it from all sides...


    Wesley,

    Yea I don't know how long I can take these beatings... I mean come on, cant TheAlphaWolf tone it down a little bit?

    Plus the AIM messages I've gotten from people (bout 6 people) make me just want to drop the topic and not look at it again... People screamin and yellin at me just because I have a religion? Come on!!!! Makes me wonder why I participate in online groups... That's always how it happens.

  3. #67
    ChronoKiento's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Pennsylvania z6
    Posts
    1,580
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    x_x
    Growlist
    I'm back?

  4. #68
    Guest
    I was homeschooled as well but we didn't use a curriculum because most of them were religous and highly one sided especially in areas such as science. So I taught myself and I ended up with a more well rounded education because of it. I had to learn to research everything on my own and look at all the data available. I quickly learned that just looking at the information from ONE book can get you in trouble quick. The more sources and the more variety the better informed you'll be.
    But Spec being slammed on AOL because he's religous bothers me. I know many people who rant and rave that they are sick of religion being shoved down their throats but they insist on shoving their anti-religion opinions down others throats just as hard. Seems so hypocritical..
    That said I agree with Capslock that a science book that preaches religion would loose much of it's credibility. The two just shouldn't be mixed.

  5. #69

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    2,344
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]uhhhh! Polar bears live in the northern latitudes!
    yes, but it's GLOBAL warming. not antartica warming.
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Dino you don't even know what UV rays are, they don't cause heat... even thealphawolf has to agree with me on THAT!
    sure I do...
    UV rays cause sunburn!
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]That is completely true and you're doing it right now AlphaWolf

    As for the textbook, its because I go to a religious school.
    MEEE?[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]?[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]
    I basically debunked every "fact" you said and you say I'M the one ignoring facts
    I need a drink
    (LOL... juice... I don't even like alcohol... nor allowed to drink it)
    and HA! I knew you went to a religious school!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ](light ITSELF is heat, not UV!)
    UV IS light!!! you just can't feel it (we don't see ALL light)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]It would take a COMPLETE depletion of the ozone layer to let ANY UVC though.
    eehh... says who?
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Maybe that's why I asked for some links to articles from OTHER viewpoints? You never really know for SURE if you haven't read it from all sides...
    and yet YOU don't give US anything but a religious textbook!
    I gave you plenty of sties. If you're not going to believe a bunch of sites over a religious textbook, then why did you ask for them?
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Yea I don't know how long I can take these beatings... I mean come on, cant TheAlphaWolf tone it down a little bit?

    Plus the AIM messages I've gotten from people (bout 6 people) make me just want to drop the topic and not look at it again... People screamin and yellin at me just because I have a religion? Come on!!!! Makes me wonder why I participate in online groups... That's always how it happens
    HUH YOU'RE the one who called me ignorant, said that you lost all respect for me (while I said that I lost all respect for your TEXTBOOK... aldough since you're the one ingoring facts doesn't make me respect you very much)and you were calling me other, less nice stuff in the AIM. and YOU'RE the one who was screaming at me! even when I told you that if you could just wait a second.
    and I don't care that you have a religion. it's the fact that you mix it in with science that really annoys me.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

  6. #70

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Central Coast of California
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    suuuuuuuuuuuure.... I'm sure if people read what you said, you'd be ashamed. You know why I called you ignorant? For your not so nice... uh... stuff you said to me on aim [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_o_32.gif[/img] Who said i was screaming? you were the one with capslock on and words THIS BIGBut what you said to me was nothin compared to what others said to me this morning.

    "It would take a COMPLETE depletion of the ozone layer to let ANY UVC though.

    eehh... says who?"

    Says who? Uh, ME. It doesn't take much ozone to block out UVC. And if you knew the cycle of how ozone was made, I think you'd agree...

  7. #71

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    2,344
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]For your not so nice... uh... stuff you said to me on aim Who said i was screaming? you were the one with capslock on and words THIS BIGBut what you said to me was nothin compared to what others said to me this morning.
    ok.. true, I did say one thing ONCE and after you had been screaming (all caps, with multiple exclamation points) and saying I was ignoring you when I asked you if you could just wait a second. how many times did you call ME names?
    and yes, I did use all caps. but I didn't write big. and that was only after I told you without using all caps and you still didn't understand. you started the yelling and the name calling. I only began so that I could stop it.
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Says who? Uh, ME. It doesn't take much ozone to block out UVC. And if you knew the cycle of how ozone was made, I think you'd agree...
    says you? PPTTFF... give me sites. not religious textbooks.
    and I DO know how ozone is made. UV breaks O2, and each O molecule bonds with a O2 molecule to make O3. it's in that NASA site I gave you (did you even read it?)
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

  8. #72

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    2,344
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AAAAAAAHHHHHH that's right... b/c you're in a religious school you don't believe in evolution... and all the things that have been "proved wrong" probably come from a religious book... figures.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •