Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dormancy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey guys, me again anyway Its freezing cold outside and I'd like to know if an early dormancy this year is out of the question, I would only put full grown plants in it, but I'd like to start an early dormancy that way maybe I could get them out a little early next year, anyway I'd put them in a fridge that has temps around 43 degres, anyway just wanted to know what you guys think
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good question. my VFT is going dormant but if I put it in the closet (outside) it would come out of dormancy in febuary!!!! I think it MIGHT be a little too cold!
    then again.... I live in NC, VFTs are from NC, and my VFT's are going dormant so who knows?
    I'll probably HAVE to put them into dormancy once we start using the heating.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so there's one yes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I start my dormancy around Thanksgiving to middle of February. I use the refrig method.
    \"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.\"
    -- Oscar Wilde

http://www.nasarracenia.org/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so thats a no

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what I said was a yes? I don't think I ever even typed a "Y" let alone a "yes"
    he he he.... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where will the plants be while dormant? If they'll be in the fridge, I suppose you can begin and end it whenever you like. If they're outside, they'll take care of the timing.

My Sarrs stay outside and I've never noticed a particular moment when they become dormant because it's such a gradual process. Their growth in dormancy isn't just slower (or stopped) - it's different. Kind of like what an S. oreophila does in mid summer. It isn't a productive time of year and they spend it preparing for better times ahead.

I'd want them to go as far as they can naturally before shoving them in the fridge. But I've never tried that method and am just plain ignorant about it.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put them in the balcony's closet. it's not heated but I guess it's a little warmer. all of the 4 or so plants I put on dormancy last year made it... so I'm HAPPY! (it would be a pain to find another dormancy place)
    but I'm worried about the dormancy issue this year. I just put them there around thanksgiving last year... but now they're going into dormancy and it's still a long time till thanksgiving! I don't want to starve them to death in the closet!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast