Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would like a list of cp's indigenous to ne il

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am interested in compiling a list of CPs that would be native to within a 200 mile radius of where I reside. Would any one be in a position to help me do so? I reside in Lake County Illinois which would be the northeast portion of the state right smack dab next to the Wisconsin border. Any links most appreciated.
    Thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moving to General discussion since this may encompass multiple genera.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heres a website with information,just do a google search.

Jerry

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off the top of my head, I would say that S. purpurea, and maybe D.rutundifolia. You probably have a few different Bladderworts too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I had found the Cook County Forest Preserve site. They referenced the existence of CPs and butterworts in general. Most unfortunately, no specific species were identified. I also found information in the Volo Bog site in McHenry County and again, no specific species were listed. This appears to be par for course. For some reason, species are not identified. I am not all that familiar with CPs. If I know the specific botanical name, I can look it up and determine native range. Problem is the botanical names of what is growing in and around my area appear to be some sort of a closely held secret.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Ozzy,
    both S. purpurea and D.rutundifolia are in my native range. I will check on the bladderworts. So far I have identified 2 Butterworts (P. villosa, P. vulgaris) within my native range. Thank you very much, Laura

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look up Sarracenia for pitcher plants, Drosera for sundews, Utricularia for baldderworts and Pinguicula for butterworts.
    If you have any butterworts, I would say it would be P.vulgaris, it's range stops in northern Wis.
    Good luck and let us know what you find.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK Ozzy- I should be fine now that I've been steered in the right direction. I have found that Drosera intermedia is native to Illinois. I also found your suggestion to check on Bladderworts to have yielded the bumper crop as pertains to nativity. Utricularia cornuta, U. gibba, U. intermedia, U. macrorhiza, and U. minor are all natives to my region. U. resupinata, the most beautiful of the lot, is within a 100 mile radius. Think I'll go look up some more Droseras and more Sarracenias. I additionally did a basic search in insectivorous plants of IL as well as carnivorous plants of Illinois and that should help me identify pretty much everything except Saracenias. If anyone else has any suggestions, I would be most appreciative. Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast