What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you live in wisconsin or illinois?

Think I'll try a different route to get a list going of hardy plants. If you live in Wisconsin or Northern Illinois, Which CPs and insectivorous plants do you successfully grow? What material do you use to mulch your plants to better insure their survival over winter?

You don't have to ask the people that live there. We can somewhat answer that question for you. With heavy mulching, you can grow vft's, almost any Sarracenia, D.capillaris, and maybe Darlingtonia california.
With light mulching you can grow D.rotundfolia, intermedia, linearis, anglica.
When you mulch use only pine straw, nothing else.
I don't grow butterworts but I think you can grow P.vulgaris, macroceras, and villosa. The best thing for you to do is experiment with a few plants, so that you can fine tune the way you grow them to fit the climate where you live. I think it's possiable for you to have success with all the plants I listed. If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Hi Ozzy, Do you mean pine needles and/or straw or is there an actual pine straw out there with which I have no familiarity.

I have no qualms experimenting for myself unless a plant is a gift and then I get rather upset if I lose it.  For the school though, I would like to come out the gate with plants that are most likely to survive as children don't really want to embrace the concept that they really need to make a lot of mistakes or they are never going to learn anything. A few mistakes are ok but I didn't want everything to be a wash.  When this topic first came up, they were looking at Nepenthes.  I looked those up and immediately knew those were going to be a no go.  

I have received a lot of great information that I want to save. Is there a way to do this where I can archive threads here on this site to save to share with a teacher over at the school?  I noticed threads have a set period of time before something happens to them.  I believe 30 days was it.  What happens after 30 days?  I can always print out the contents of the few threads I have to hand to her and I can save it to my hard drive but I'm thinking I would like to be able to go to the school and be able to merely pull this information up for all of us to look at together.

Yes I mean pine needles. I live about 1000 ft from Lake Erie and I have grown VFT's, quite a few pitcher plants, D.capillaris, intermedia outside. Believe it or not I even grow D.camale reproductive organis outside all year. They only come back from seed though.

I moved to NW WI this past summer. I am originally from the state, but haven't lived here since I started growing CP's. For now, I plan on keeping all my plants in the basement once sub-freezing temps settle in, which, surprisingly, hasn't happened yet. just a few light frosts so far, which won't hurt anything i grow.

Hi Ozzy, I tried to do a search for D.camale reproductive organis and came up empty handed using both Yahoo and DogPile. I'm sure I would be totally impressed but I think you are going ot have to provide me with a link to that plant. You are pretty far north.  Beautiful country up there just a little brrrrr in the winter months.  

Hi sarracenia, what will you use for lighting in your basement once you move your CPs inside?  Basic fluorescent?  Do you have any CP's you will be leaving outside and if so, what are they?  Are your CP's currently in planters that are above ground?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ Oct. 19 2004,7:22)] 

Hi sarracenia, what will you use for lighting in your basement once you move your CPs inside?  Basic fluorescent?  Do you have any CP's you will be leaving outside and if so, what are they?  Are your CP's currently in planters that are above ground?
i have only sarracenias in pots. not planning on using any special lighting. they really don't need light during dormancy, although there is a window where they will be, as well as fluorescent lights in the ceiling i'll leave on all day. i won't be leaving any outside. i'm too lazy to deal with mulching, and i think leaving them outside in this part of the country, they won't grow as well as bringing them into a cool basement for winter. also, i want/need to do some serious dividing of them this dormancy. they are getting quite rootbound and crowded.

You know, I have seen quite a few photos of them in pots here in these threads. I figured there was a way to be successfull growing them in pots.  I have a garage that has big windows in it and the temperatures are not allowed to dip below 35F thanks to an auxiliary heater.  I'm going to go out and see if I can pick up a few end of season sale planters for next year as wouldn't it be neat to have a few Saracenias accenting a patio in planters.  I think they are one of the most beautiful plants out there.  For some reason I was under the impression that they had to be planted in the ground or grown in a greenhouse or terrarium and it would appear they are considerably more versatile than what I imagined.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hi Ozzy, I tried to do a search for D.camale reproductive organis and came up empty handed using both Yahoo and DogPile. I'm sure I would be totally impressed but I think you are going ot have to provide me with a link to that plant. You are pretty far north. Beautiful country up there just a little brrrrr in the winter months.

This is the funniest thing I've seen in a long time. I guess I made a simple typo and the filter changed it to something else. I think I need the mallat. Instead of that please search D.capensis. Leave out one s and this is what happens. This should be a waring to everybody, please proofread before you post.

I thought it was um, interesting, but not for THAT typo.
confused.gif

Actually, I am most pleased that I am not losing my mind. I'll look up the D.capensis a little later this evening. Thanks for letting me know it was a typo/filter issue.

lol Actually I know about the filter and still didn't catch that although I thought it was a mighty funny sounding scientific name.
laugh.gif

I heard that that's your favorite plant.

Ozzy, I'd really like to try growing that plant, but I don't think my wife will let me 'till after my daughter gets a little older.
smile_k_ani_32.gif
laugh.gif

Well you can forget asking me to send you seeds.

Back