What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Caterpillar

I saw this caterpillar in my yard yesterday. This thing was 5 inches long easy. Not sure what it's gonna turn into but it has to be big.

Caterpillar_web.jpg

smile_k_ani_32.gif

pritty colors...yicks, itt might turn into a butterfly...:(

Wow! Very pretty! and 5in.:eek::O thats huge!

Btw whats the pinnate leaved plant its growing on H.canibins:p

its probably poisonous, note the red black and yellow..

Looks similar to this caterpillar barry rice saw:
rr03.jpg

Size of a hot dog

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CNCreefer @ Oct. 18 2004,9:29)]Hmmmm looks like cannabis to me
cool-smiley-030.gif
Nah the leaflets appear too wide. Besides Cannibis would repel the insect.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pond boy @ Oct. 19 2004,8:02)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (CNCreefer @ Oct. 18 2004,9:29)]Hmmmm looks like cannabis to me
cool-smiley-030.gif
Nah the leaflets appear too wide. Besides Cannibis would repel the insect.
looks like hemp... is that the same thing as cannibis?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]looks like hemp... is that the same thing as cannibis?
Yep
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Nah the leaflets appear too wide.
There are 3 subspecies....sativa(narrow leaves), indica (wide leaves), and ruderalis, which is the stuff they make rope out of.
This looks like cannabis indica.

The second picture looks like it might be that of a sphinx moth...not sure on the first. Def keep it though.

Well, if it was any Cannabis species, it's at its darnedest and flowering already, in the prime of being top priority illegal, because the leaves are growing alternately. Besides, the leaflets aren't serrated enough, I don't see long petioles, and the stem isn't ridged. If it was C. indica the colour is completely wrong - they're usually a dark green; C. sativa is usually lime green; and C. ruderalis is also a rich green colour. Even crosses between the above species won't make something that looks like that. Unless this is a cross between Australian "B" Cannabis.
Don't ask me why I know all this (at least publicly)....

Um, let's get back to that caterpillar at hand, shall we? That caterpillar looks like it may very well be a moth larva of some sort. I'm not experienced in this field yet so I'll leave it at that. Keep it alive!

Amori

wow, that looks like it's be a tasy meal for my merrilliana... nice soft body. easily digestible. perfect meal. If you don't have any plants big enough to feed it to you can always slice it up! you guys are lucky I can never find anything in my yard to feed to my plants. I have to buy the bugs...

My plants seem to do fine on their own.
smile.gif

whatever you do or whatever it is, don't kill it!
i suspect is some sort of saturniid moth. They're very cool. I'd like to see the adult if survives
biggrin.gif

armadillos and artificial lights and parasites introduced by people are making saturniid moths rarer which is very sad.

armadillos???

yeah... they dig up the pupae and eat it. and they're not native.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (HellzDungeon @ Oct. 20 2004,5:51)]mmmmm...
cannabis.... ^^
Hellz
When your a kid and you wanna go weeeeeee, but you aint got drugs yet!
smile_n_32.gif

Ok i wont finish the song its bad

Flip,

how could you even THINK of killing that thing?

Back