Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stupid dead mice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dad used a sticky trap once when we lived in florida.. a mouse was in the kitchen.
    this was like 18 years ago.

and i remember it catching the poor thing.
    and we couldnt get it off the trap.
    his poor little feet couldnt take the torture, and his fur was stuck on it and everything.

the poor thing even cried out.
    so we had nothing left to do but take a hammer and knock it off side the head hard enough that it died.

least it was a faster death then sitting on the trap til it died. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]

ever since then, we have used those live traps.
    ofcourse the darn pack rats keep coming back, i swear no matter where you drop them off (even 10 miles from home) the darn things have radar and find a way back. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/mad.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Oct. 22 2004,12:38)]Just try to imagine if it were you stuck to a piece of paper and you couldn't move, couldn't eat, couldn't drink and it took days for you to die...a slow torturous death.
    Agreed. Imagine having an itch on your knose while your at it... . Zongyi
    What you want to do is illeagle here in Canada.
    Email does not work! Use PM or yangzongyi@hotmail.com instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as being humane goes, it would be kinder to kill a rat outright than to use a live trap and displace it. If you move an animal into the wild, you are putting it into another animal's territory. Every place has enough food to support a certain number of animals. You can't just stick an animal anywhere. Most displaced animals die within a few days of dehydration. Rats would probably survive anywhere, but they would take the place of native animals. In california, it is illegal to displace wild animals.

If you use spring traps, use the big rat traps right away. We thought we had a mouse in our house, and we set lots of mousetraps. In the morning the traps would have snapped shut without catching anything. Eventually we saw that the "mice" had grown into rats. We tried rat traps then, but the rats had learned to avoid the traps altogether. We had been inadvertently training the beasts to stay away from the things.

Peter
    the cellist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]i found a mouse in my toilet yesterday morning, trying desperately to get out. thought about just flushing him, then I remembered my BB Gun.....
    thats disturbing...

most household rodents cant swimm very well..

speaking or relocating rodents... NEVER transfer them to islands. Although it may SEEM a bright idea at the time, most islands that dont have much human traffic are predator-free and are a scarce commodity and will likely have a population of water birds and wading birds breeding on it. These birds cannot nest sucessfully with rats or racoons on the island because their large and usually conspicuous nest is vunerable to predators. colonies of birds, huge ones, even whole species, have been wiped out by introduced rats: case and point- kakapo, Petrels, Auklets, murrs and murrlets, herons, ibises, storks. Even if uouv never seen a water bird on the island, some hide their nests very well and many are nocturnal, hiding by day.

Quote[/b] ]But, the mice die of a heart attack within a few hours once they are stuck on the trap
    Are the mice in question obese and have arterial blockeges?
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very disturbing.

I also think sticky traps are EVIL! you should use those live traps and use peanut butter for bait. they LOVE peanut butter (just a little dab)
    and the ramp idea also sounds good to me.
    why kill when you don't have to?
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I don't believe in the sticky traps, there is a way to remove the mouse without hurting it. If you pour mineral oil on it you can get the mouse off the trap without having to pull off it's feet and fur.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... they dun look like rats to me
    the tank is outside
    I'll use the ramp. I needed one ayway so the tadpoles can get out when they grow legs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Are the mice in question obese and have arterial blockeges?
    No, they are healthy mice, but their little hearts start beating so fast that it gives out and they die.
    Just a word on spring traps, they DON"T kill the rat instantly... it is sad, I saw one stuck in the trap and it was still alive in pain and wasn't dead...
    I thought you people where \"Plant Geeks\", Look at me Now...

Growing List-
    http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17062

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast