What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stupid dead mice!

Now no offense to dead mice, I respect the dead... BUT
I keep on finding all these dead mice in my aquatic tank. Its really annoying, and if I could I would kill em all! but you mice only die one time... Does anyone have any advice to keep the fuzzy, stupid mice because they dun got the brains not to drown themselves out of my tank, and if you don't have that perhaps I could use a link to the US patent site to patent my new extermination device, a plastic box full of water which drowns mice and other small animals
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif

um... personally mice are my favorite mammals besides humans so its not very fun to see dead ones. Anybody else find somethin wierd in their aquatic tank?
btw I'm talkin big mice here, 4 inches without the tail.

once they fall in, is there any way for them to climb out?
maybe you need a "ramp" for them to escape..
any kind of stick or board would do the trick..
you can even make it look natural and part of the landscape.
my parents have to do this for frogs in their garden pond.
Scot

i found a mouse in my toilet yesterday morning, trying desperately to get out. thought about just flushing him, then I remembered my BB Gun.....

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]btw I'm talkin big mice here, 4 inches without the tail.

Sounds like rats you've got there. You could try traps; our rats were smart enough to jump over the traps. However, it seems that your critters would fall for (or into) anything. I wouldn't suggest poisining, partly because they are in your house and they get smelly when you don't find them, and if they aren't in your house the poision gets into the environment. I beleive theres a kind of trap thats all sticky, so the rats step on it and get all caught up in it. But then you have to deal with the live rat. Best option may be to get a cat or dog thats not afraid of the beasts.

Peter

[b said:
Quote[/b] (droseradude @ Oct. 22 2004,3:53)]um... personally mice are my favorite mammals besides humans so its not very fun to see dead ones. Anybody else find somethin wierd in their aquatic tank?
btw I'm talkin big mice here, 4 inches without the tail.
smile_t_32.gif
Good thing opinions vary...I would give them a ramp or something to help them out. I also agree they sound like rats.

rats have a fat tail.
if its a skinny tail like string, its a mouse
if its rope like, its a rat and size wise would make it a baby/young rat

the sticky traps are good, but then you are stuck with the delimma. do you let them die of hunger, thirst, rip their little feets off trying to get them off the trap, smack them on the back of the head to put them out of their misery...

or just build a small ramp for them to get out.
sounds like they are trying to get a drink, extend to far, and fall in, and then cant get out.

Sticky traps are HORRIBLE! I don't like mice either but if you have to kill them, why torture them with a slow death of starvation and thirst? That is SOOO cruel! Those traps out to be outlawed. There are plenty of other ways to kill mice without having to be so cruel about it.
confused.gif
A spring trap is at least a quick death.

Try the new traps D-con is advertising. Its a round disc. The mice go in, they are killed instantly and then you throw the whole thing out and never have to see the dead mouse.

If you HAVE to kill something, at least be HUMANE about it.
confused.gif
Just try to imagine if it were you stuck to a piece of paper and you couldn't move, couldn't eat, couldn't drink and it took days for you to die...a slow torturous death.

Most people use a branch to help small critters get out of ponds and tanks. Works well.

I like the sticky traps since they don't have to die... all you do is get some oil and pour it on the trap with the mouse on with gloves and kind of pull them off into a very tall bucket and let them go in a far away field. But, the mice die of a heart attack within a few hours once they are stuck on the trap.

My dad used a sticky trap once when we lived in florida.. a mouse was in the kitchen.
this was like 18 years ago.

and i remember it catching the poor thing.
and we couldnt get it off the trap.
his poor little feet couldnt take the torture, and his fur was stuck on it and everything.

the poor thing even cried out.
so we had nothing left to do but take a hammer and knock it off side the head hard enough that it died.

least it was a faster death then sitting on the trap til it died.
smile_h_32.gif

ever since then, we have used those live traps.
ofcourse the darn pack rats keep coming back, i swear no matter where you drop them off (even 10 miles from home) the darn things have radar and find a way back.
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Oct. 22 2004,12:38)]Just try to imagine if it were you stuck to a piece of paper and you couldn't move, couldn't eat, couldn't drink and it took days for you to die...a slow torturous death.
Agreed. Imagine having an itch on your knose while your at it... . Zongyi

As far as being humane goes, it would be kinder to kill a rat outright than to use a live trap and displace it. If you move an animal into the wild, you are putting it into another animal's territory. Every place has enough food to support a certain number of animals. You can't just stick an animal anywhere. Most displaced animals die within a few days of dehydration. Rats would probably survive anywhere, but they would take the place of native animals. In california, it is illegal to displace wild animals.

If you use spring traps, use the big rat traps right away. We thought we had a mouse in our house, and we set lots of mousetraps. In the morning the traps would have snapped shut without catching anything. Eventually we saw that the "mice" had grown into rats. We tried rat traps then, but the rats had learned to avoid the traps altogether. We had been inadvertently training the beasts to stay away from the things.

Peter

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i found a mouse in my toilet yesterday morning, trying desperately to get out. thought about just flushing him, then I remembered my BB Gun.....

thats disturbing...

most household rodents cant swimm very well..

speaking or relocating rodents... NEVER transfer them to islands. Although it may SEEM a bright idea at the time, most islands that dont have much human traffic are predator-free and are a scarce commodity and will likely have a population of water birds and wading birds breeding on it. These birds cannot nest sucessfully with rats or racoons on the island because their large and usually conspicuous nest is vunerable to predators. colonies of birds, huge ones, even whole species, have been wiped out by introduced rats: case and point- kakapo, Petrels, Auklets, murrs and murrlets, herons, ibises, storks. Even if uouv never seen a water bird on the island, some hide their nests very well and many are nocturnal, hiding by day.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]But, the mice die of a heart attack within a few hours once they are stuck on the trap
Are the mice in question obese and have arterial blockeges?

very disturbing.

I also think sticky traps are EVIL! you should use those live traps and use peanut butter for bait. they LOVE peanut butter (just a little dab)
and the ramp idea also sounds good to me.
why kill when you don't have to?

While I don't believe in the sticky traps, there is a way to remove the mouse without hurting it. If you pour mineral oil on it you can get the mouse off the trap without having to pull off it's feet and fur.

Hmm... they dun look like rats to me
the tank is outside
I'll use the ramp. I needed one ayway so the tadpoles can get out when they grow legs

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Are the mice in question obese and have arterial blockeges?

No, they are healthy mice, but their little hearts start beating so fast that it gives out and they die.
Just a word on spring traps, they DON"T kill the rat instantly... it is sad, I saw one stuck in the trap and it was still alive in pain and wasn't dead...

Jeez to many people are afraid to kill anything here..O mouse...do not kill it. I agree sticky traps are the worst and should never be used.

I am leaving pft until this stuff calms down. I can not stand reading this over and over (environment, politics, animals, overpopulation, etc.) . I think it has been discussed 1000x too much. I do not need to read the topic *my choice*, but to avoid it completely, I need to leave.
blues.gif

smile_o_32.gif

Before things get out of control. This will be a civil discussion or it will be locked. I'm not taking any sides, This will be the only warning.

Back