Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stupid people

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    don't you just hate stupid people?
    the sad thing is that we're stupid too :P it's VERY hard not to impact the environment in a negative way. almost anything you do is bad for the environment. even reading this is consuming energy which was probably created by burning fossil fuels. using pesticides, fertilizers, cars, plastic, rubber, eating, .... what DOESN'T harm the environment?
    but what really gets me is people releasing non-native animals (and wasting resources... like leaving the water turned on, using tons of pesticides/fungicides, etc..)
    like Burmese pythons in the everglades and brown snakes in guam (rats/pigs/dogs/cats in the galapagos islands, hogs in hawaii, etc.)
    now the pythons are breeding in the everglades!!!
    http://www.cnn.com/2004....ex.html
    and snakeheads... which are now invading everywhere. I remember that when I was in 9th grade, only a couple of them had been found in a couple of lakes. now they're even up in the great lakes!
    http://www.cnn.com/2004....ex.html
    but don't hate the invasive species. that would be stupid. hate the people that bring them here.
    and now they say that "The world's population is consuming about 20 percent more natural resources than the planet can produce" ... a while back there was also an article that said that a bunch of species would become extinct by 2050, that there are MANY times more humans than sustainable... etc.
    I'm not having any kids :P
    if I REALLY want one I'll adopt (I don't see why I would want a kid... *shrugs*
    http://dsc.discovery.com/news/afp/20041018/humans.html
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]

but what really gets me is people releasing non-native animals (and wasting resources... like leaving the water turned on, using tons of pesticides/fungicides, etc..)
    Me too. Because they have a personal interest in it or its 'pretty', people just stand in the way of invasive species, expecially ones appealing to the eye(hint hint butterfly brush, mimosa)

People around here (south dakota) know that theres invasive trees invading our prastures and praries here. They just say there dont care, or that "but tere such pretty trees. Isnt more good?"

And exuse me if i offend anyone but just because theres a visually apealing invasive species on your property [burning bush, butterfly bush, norway maple, autnm olive, water chesnut, tamerisk...] that you like is not a exuse to not do something about it.

However, many non-native species [ginko, lilac] are perfictly well behaved.
    And i feel that i speak for most of us when i say that theres some species that some of us wouldnt mind if they got established [neps in florida, vtf's in Europe] Personaly i woulddnt mind it if Ginko Biloba, Nikau palms (one of the most hardy palms.. can be groun in irlind) and NZ Treeferns became established in america.

Some people try to introduce species because there their favoriets (Mile-a-minut vine is good example of a invasive specie introduced this way) But i still say that its not a good idea

Or snakeheads, wich have cultural values to asians.

And some repulicans suggesting we make more 'updates' to the endangerd species act. Darn havent they weakened it enough already? "were for the enviorment, but current legeslation goes too far..."
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/mad.gif[/img]

yah, right,

Quote[/b] ]and snakeheads... which are now invading everywhere. I remember that when I was in 9th grade, only a couple of them had been found in a couple of lakes. now they're even up in the great lakes!

Those lakes are prety much ruined from invasive species anyway
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well yeah but snakeheads can also eat other stuff that zebra mussels and the others can't.
    Quote[/b] ]And i feel that i speak for most of us when i say that theres some species that some of us wouldnt mind if they got established [neps in florida, vtf's in Europe] Personaly i woulddnt mind it if Ginko Biloba, Nikau palms (one of the most hardy palms.. can be groun in irlind) and NZ Treeferns became established in america.
    personally I don't like seeing non-native species in the wild. not even if they're not invasive. and invasive species begin like that too. people wanting to see them established.
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]personally I don't like seeing non-native species in the wild

I dont like it either. I just said i wouldnt mind too much if said species were, expecially since all species i mentioed are declining in their native habitats and many are rare, have virtually none of the qualities of invasive species (all are very slow growing and not invasive) and have almost zero chance of escaping anyway because ones been cultivated for 4000 years around the world and its not naturalized.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ](all are very slow growing and not invasive)
    Except for the tree ferns [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

I'm against any introduction of non-native species. Every ecosystem has its own awesome plants, there is not need to bring in exotic plants. You can't mix and match members of an ecosystem. Personally even if burmese pythons were native to the everglades, I would not want to come across one while kayaking...

Peter
    the cellist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]I'm against any introduction of non-native species
    Me too dont you get it? i said i wouldnt mind if they were i didnt say i was going to!

uh-oh better get rid of all the plants in your garden then. Rip up all the farmers shelterbelsts...

Take down the palms in florida...
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Personally even if burmese pythons were native to the everglades, I would not want to come across one while kayaking
    I'D LOVE that [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    palms aren't native to florida GASP! the universe is backwards!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palms are, but 90% of those planted arnt native
    that makes no logic

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast