What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Draft? no draft?

Hey Rattler,
Just for perspective, I think it should be noted that these bills were introduced more to make a political point than to actually start a draft. Both of those guys are war opponents, and this is just a way to make a statement. Here's what Rangel said from CNN:
---------
"The New York Democrat told reporters his goal is two-fold: to jolt Americans into realizing the import of a possible unilateral strike against Iraq, which he opposes, and "to make it clear that if there were a war, there would be more equitable representation of people making sacrifices."

"I truly believe that those who make the decision and those who support the United States going into war would feel more readily the pain that's involved, the sacrifice that's involved, if they thought that the fighting force would include the affluent and those who historically have avoided this great responsibility," Rangel said.

"Those who love this country have a patriotic obligation to defend this country," Rangel said. "For those who say the poor fight better, I say give the rich a chance." "
----------
Another of their issues is that the people who end up dying in these wars are the poor and minorities. It seems the children of senators and the rich rarely see combat. This bill also would make everyone share in the burdens of war. At the same time, it makes the political point that the Iraq war is NOT being fought by the children of those voting for the war.

The bills were introduced as a protest with full knowledge that they would not pass. This is why Hollings voted against his own bill. They were to force a reflection on the realities of what we're asking of our young people in this war.

Capslock

No draft is needed. All we have to do is round up all the gangbangers, put them on a plane and send them to Iraq.
Hardly a day goes by without hearing about some innocent person getting shot for no reason. It happens all the time around here.
If they want to shoot weapons and kill people, put them to good use and send them to Iraq to fight the insurgents.

To bad there would be a crowd of people protesting because their rights where taken away, although someone (me) might argue they took their own rights away when they killed someone.

O.K. I am adding this post perfectly aware that it will recieve some opposition from some if not many and you know what? I really don't care so here goes. I don't see how the U.S can support a draft because it is supposed to protect us and our beliefs and for those of you who will inevitably twist my every word to serve your arguement let me explain a little further: Every day someone is suing someone else because they were forced to do something supposedly "against their beliefs" and whether valid or not carries weight in the court room. So I ask you, how can our government (the legislative branch) punish these people for something they would be doing themselves? And I answer it: Because they have the power to, BECAUSE WE ALLOW THEM TO. And to further that if our government thinks it is wrong to take away the freedom of the people of Iraq, then how can they think it's right to take away ours to give theirs back?*and if you think you have a really good answer to my question then, please, inform me of it*. And if somebody is going to call me a "wussie" ( I believe was the term thrown about) because of my beliefs, let me just say to them that their beliefs are no more OR LESS valid than mine. AND if someone wants to call me (or others) "wussie" for making my/their opinions known then please feel free to define the words bravery or courage to me (in a way that involves this discussion).In People never cease to amaze me.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                                                     -Ben Franklin

it had 2 votes for it but im not sure who DID vote for it and i dont feel like looking it up. i have buddys over in Iraq. my sisters boyfriend spent 9 months over there and will prolly be going back. i have no qualms about us being there although a few other places would have been higher on my list. i almost joined the army out of high school. and thought about it seriously again after i decided college wasnt for me. meeting Darla kinda stopped my thinking in that area. had i been sent over there it would not bug me. the draft will not happen for this war. who can say if it will in the future.

Rattler

The draft sucks. People who may not even had a mean thought in their lives may be forced by people they don't even know to relentlessly kill people they may have nothing against.

Hmm... Now that i put it that way, i think i'll go join.

I would like to see President Bush's daughter get drafted.
cool.gif
That would never happen. The only people getting drafted are the poor to middle class people. I have more to say but it would venture off into another issue.

My $0.02:

If a draft is reinstituted, it must be universal, with no deferments given, except for great and obvious medical necessity. If we vote for war, it must have a chance of hitting all families, rich and poor, and those of the congressmen who voted for war.

OTOH, although enlistment is down, the military is doing pretty well with alternate forms of advertising to boost enlistment (video games, etc.)

However, the military is pretty firmly against a draft... they don't want a bunch of raw, unprofessional recruits there.

Given that issue, we do, in fact, already have a draft... but it only affects those already serving! Those in the military are having their service extended involuntarily.

Are you for or against the draft in 1967?
Are you for or against the French Revolution?
How about the Roman empire taking over England?
how do you feel about that?
Are you for or against Kenya invading Spain in 2053?
How do you feel about Brussel Sprouts?

(just asking some more questions that are just as relevant as this whole thread..)

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Brussel Sprouts are are menace to our fragile society! they have plagued our fragile nation for far too long and must be stopped at all cost!

Back