What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Draft? no draft?

And if u wish to go somewhere really inconspicuous, try the southernly Chatam Islands of New Zeland

I'm very much against it, barring a "survival of the nation" situation.I'd definately dodge if the draft were enacted now; I'll be much more use to the country as a researcher than as cannon fodder.

Any truth to an urban legend I heard that says if you're the last carrier of the family name you can't be drafted? Becuase if so then I'm safe from, but still against, a draft

man, what a bunch of pathetic wussies here..
you should all just go ahead and leave the country now, draft or no draft.
we would be better off without you.

I was in college during the '91 Iraq war..
there was talk of the draft then.
I would have gone if it came to it.
I wouldnt have been able to live with myself if I had to run away to Canada.
its really sad how a whole generation has been so brainwashed against their own country. (generations actually, these "draft doger" kids today are the children of the draft dogers from the 60's..we have proof of that right in this thread)
The relentless weakening of America continues..sadly, the liberal brainwashing is working all too well..
smile_h_32.gif

Scot

Why care about a country that doesnt care about you? See the government is hypocritical. Things said and promised, though might be done the way they are advertized, are just a nice presentation. 99% of what the government does we don't know about and probably won't even agree with. I would never fight for any country, what has it done for me? Other than label, and stereotype youth and culture. No one is agaisnt this country, i'm just not going to go fight for it. President Bush wants a war, let him go fight it. I'll be here living my life.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Why care about a country that doesnt care about you?
clueless

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]See the government is hypocritical.
I don't agree.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Things said and promised, though might be done the way they are advertized, are just a nice presentation.
I don't agree.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]99% of what the government does we don't know about and probably won't even agree with.
I don't agree.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I would never fight for any country, what has it done for me?
oh, nothing much, except given you the FREEDOM to publicly espress your opinions, and only given you the BEST quality of living of ANY society in the entire history of the human race!
your ENTIRE LIFE, everything you own, your computer, your TV, your entire cushy american existance, DEPENDS on people fighting wars to allow you to keep all that!
but yeah, what has America ever done for you?
nothing really..

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Other than label, and stereotype youth and culture.
I don't agree.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]No one is agaisnt this country,
yes you are, your entire post proves you are..

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i'm just not going to go fight for it. President Bush wants a war, let him go fight it. I'll be here living my life.
while others WILL go to war to protect YOUR right to live that life!
mad.gif

you are just lucky there are Men and Women who WILL fight to protect your lazy selfish lifestyle...because if everyone thought like you, you would be a slave in a coal mine in China right now..

Scot

-------------
edited for less inflamatory word choice.

*looks at scottychaos post and ducks*

wait for it... wait for it....

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] by Rubra. Or maybe uphill if all the people who don't want to defend the country leave
 Very well said Rubra.

Scottychaos.  Very well put.  You said it all.  I agree.

"Ask not what your country can do for you.  But ask, what you can do for your country"  One of our past presidents said that...and he gave his life for his beliefs.  How many of you "brave" souls even remember who he was?

I belive every citizen should have to perform at least eighteen months service for his country.  Not necessarily military (Our all volunteer military is doing just fine thank you very much.) but some service such as helping the poor, caring for the elderly, teaching the illiterate, conservation work or some other act that will help make this a better country.  Oh! It also may enlighten some of our more selfish citizens to the fact that the world does NOT owe them a living but they do owe their country something.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Why care about a country that doesnt care about you? See the government is hypocritical. Things said and promised, though might be done the way they are advertized, are just a nice presentation. 99% of what the government does we don't know about and probably won't even agree with.

It so happens, that the only way these people get into government positions is if we elect them. If you think you could do better, why don't you campaign?

Also, the only reason some of us don't know what our government is doing, is because we don't bother to find out. Here is a link to the congressional weekly online. If you subscribe, you hear all about what is happening...

Peter

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Why care about a country that doesnt care about you?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I would never fight for any country, what has it done for me?
oh, nothing much, except given you the FREEDOM to publicly espress your opinions, and only given you the BEST quality of living of ANY society in the entire history of the human race!
your ENTIRE LIFE, everything you own, your computer, your TV, your entire cushy american existance, DEPENDS on people fighting wars to allow you to keep all that!
but yeah, what has America ever done for you?
nothing really..
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]No one is agaisnt this country,

yes you are, your entire post proves you are..
No i don't, this country great. I went overboard with my statements because of a personal experience and people around me's experiences. I'm from new york city and the events of 9/11 struck me hard. You would think twice about fighting for any country if, like me, you knew people who died in 9/11. I was angry for a long time after that not just at the people that played the whole thing out, but at the fact that this country (unknowingly of course) let that happen. the things i said weren't based on facts.. just my anger. This country may have been good to you, but many people have been treated unfairly by this system. Its not perfect.

and as for the draft.. me fighting for any country depends on alot of things, but no government can make me fight for them.

Great debate, lets keep it clean. Carry on, but if it gets violent.......its locked.

As for the draft, I'm against it, go into the military if you want, you should have a choice darn it.

The draft is a bunch of hog wash, personally. I believe in this country but no one is making me go into war, especially when its for no good reason, like Vietnam, and Iraq. We just make ourselves look bad, and then we're stuipd lettin our boys get killed over there. I cry everynight just about watching CBS news Honoring Fallen heros, its sickening after a while.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I would very easily take my own kneecaps, no running or hiding for me - I have a family. I can live with broken kneecaps
OUCH!!!
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]oh, nothing much, except given you the FREEDOM to publicly espress your opinions, and only given you the BEST quality of living of ANY society in the entire history of the human race!
so taking away your freedom for the draft in a time when you don't need a draft and MAKING you "support" the war or go out there and kill people/be killed is freedom? I don't think taking away freedom to "protect" freedom is right. I could support the COUNTRY (supporting the war and supporting the country are two totally different things.) much better if there wasn't a draft.
and I disagree that we have the highest standard of life. I really don't remember the name of this country... norway? it's an european country anyway... that is the richest country per person (the US is the richest partly because of it's size) and it even has a national surplus and not a national debt. people there also work less and are better off.
(don't start telling me to move there or anything... plenty of reasons why I CAN'T move there)
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]We just make ourselves look bad
true... you should hear some of the things other countries say (I'm from mexico remember?)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]so taking away your freedom for the draft in a time when you don't need a draft and MAKING you "support" the war or go out there and kill people/be killed is freedom? I don't think taking away freedom to "protect" freedom is right.

You can't have everything. If you want freedom, you've got to be willing to defend it. Freedom is not a commodity. Our freedom is being defended by a group of people who are willing to risk their lives for it. What are they defending? A bunch of people who don't appreciate the value of their freedom anyway?

Peter

did I MAKE them do that? no. and I thank them for doing that but I don't think attacking iraq was defending our freedom, nor that it was the best country to attack (even at the time)
we don't NEED a draft. everyone says so. the soldiers in iraq, the bush administration, etc. No, you can't have everything, but you can have freedom without a draft. you CAN'T have freedom with a draft. and I WILL defend my own freedom by going somewhere that doesn't make me kill people or be at risk of being seriously hurt/killed.
and I do appreciate the value of freedom. that's exactly why I don't want a draft.

I belive the country you are reffering to, the alphawolph, is LUXEMBOURG.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]we don't NEED a draft

We??? i though u said u lived in mexico

I'm FROM mexico but live in NC.
Luxembourg? holy cow.... let's see... norway, luxembourg... you can see how I got it wrong LOL!!!!

ah a immigrent. From what cityn in mexico?

from Leon, Guanajuato. but I was born in Queretaro.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] much better if there wasn't a draft.
and I disagree that we have the highest standard of life. I really don't remember the name of this country... norway? it's an european country anyway... that is the richest country per person (the US is the richest partly because of it's size) and it even has a national surplus and not a national debt. people there also work less and are better off.
We HAD a national surplus untill 2000 when the dot.com crash happened. Luxemburg happens to be 1/4th the size of rhode island in the swiss alps and is world renown as THE place to do banking. Many famous people have bank accounts there and its the place whre The World Bank is located.

Hum... its the size of my county

Back