What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Draft? no draft?

and that has nothing to do with genes. (or... it has less to do with genes than the environment)

I am not at all confused AW.
-We were attacked on September 11, 2001 by people who (under the guise of their religion) want to murder all infidels...that includes you, me and our families.
-Our Commander in Chief chose to counterattack.
-Many of those people just happen to be in Afghanistan and Iraq.
-We are fighting a war so you can continue living unmolested in the US, so you are not forced to kneel and pray five times a day, so you can have an alcoholic beverage if you so choose, so your lady can wear a miniskirt if she wants…and most of all, so you can post on this forum and not get a knock on your door in the middle of the night.
-We may need to reinstitute the draft to achieve our goals.
-You may chose break the law, to refuse your duty as a citizen to be drafted......
What is so confusing about that?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If u go to war ur more likely to die than someone who wimps out and doges the draft.  Finch
 And I quote Teddy again, “It is far better to have lived one day as a lion than your whole life as a sheep”.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]and where is it our country gets rich from war with other countries? oil? HA, yeah thats why our oil prices are up right? Cause we are controlling it?

Profits do travel much further than the Corporate Office. The rich get richer, the poor get poorer. Has been going on for a number of years (since the '70's if I recall correctly). Why would the corporate elite pass down the profits to us when they don't have to? Why not give yourself a $20 million dollar pay increase for streamlining a company (cutting 1000s of jobs)? "We", or International Corporations (most likely) have it all worked out with their own best interest in mind.

-Homer

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Oct. 31 2004,4:46)]and bush attacked iraq with the excuse that there were WMD and that it was harboring terrorists and that it had ties to 9-11. all of that was wrong. it is only because they were totally wrong that he turns to bringing (IMPOSING) democracy to (ON) the world.
you didnt hear about russia admiting that they removed weapons from iraq and into syria the DAY before the US went in?
You didnt hear that?
COMEON, Putin came right out and admitted it.

Saddam had it, and it was moved by russia, but yet democrats and many other still sit there saying the weapons didnt exsist.

And chemicals on his own people, are not considered WMD?
He used them. SO he had them.

and what is happening in those other countries is worse then iraq, and we should be paying attention to BOTH.
And many more countries for the matter.

'had' is the past tence of 'has'

Holmer its been like that for ever and its far better now than virtually any time in history.

iraq had no ties to alquaeda and the govt. admits it.
The people you're talking about is osama bin laden and others. Not iraq. There wouldn't even be any talk about a draft if they had dealt with the people who did that and not iraq. We don't NEED a draft anyway! everyone says so. so why should there be a draft? I'm not going to risk my life if I don't have to. I love life and I'm not going to take it away either. Not for a war that shouldn't have happened anyway.

This post can go on and on but the bottom line is:
Some peple think a draft is necessary to protect our rights and liberty and show that we care about, and want, our freedom.
Others say that they do care about their freedom, but they don't want to be forced to fight for a war they don't belive in is useful, or don't want to.

I won't be forced to fight for anyone, and the only time i'll fight is if a person comes to me personally and threatens me or my family or friends in one way or another. I'll defend myself, but i'm not going to war. I love my life way too much, but i understand some might be willing to give up their lives for the country's liberty which i think, is defeating the purpose. If your dead, how can you enjoy the freedom your fighting for? Might sound selfish, but i'm not stupid or brainwashed with the whole "fighting to the death" thing.
Lauderdale:
We aren't brutes, we are much smarter.

i did notice we are all talking like there will be a draft.
bush said he wasnt doing one.
so there are no worries

AE it doesnt sound selfish it is selfish!! The reason you get to be free and have the liberties that you have is because so many others have given their life to provide you them.

OK.. and i thank them, i sincerely appreciate all they've done. But i won't go to war, i still don't understand how anyone would want to go to war, for any reason. I mean how do you put yourself in a predicament where you will most likely die? I mean who in their right mind does that? Sure, your fighting for freedom, liberty, the whole nine, but - You Can Die -! You guys need to deflate your patriotic ballon because it isn't ensuring your survival by going to war, its jeapordizing it. I'm glad some people want to go to war, they're sacrificing alot. I just won't do it.
@ Patch:
The government will always say what the people want to hear.

Well no one WANTS to go to war, but somtimes war cannot be avoided. Its fine avoid the draft if we ever have one. Hey why you are at it why dont you enjoy all of freedoms and luxeries that past people have died to provide you. Thats fine, because there will always be people that realize living in the best country in the world comes with some sacrifice. If you avoid the draft knowing that someone else is sacrificing in your stead so that you can have what you have go for it, I dont have to look in the mirror in the morning and feel ashamed.

This country isn't the freest country. Maybe back then it was, but not anymore. I go to other countries, and they are as free as this one, even freer. Spain is much more liberal than the united states, and the Dominican Republic, is just as free (if not freer) than the United States. They haven't seen a war for YEARS. We aren't fighting for our freedom, we are fighting for our reputation, for vengance, and for other countries. No one is trying to take over the United States. Keeping our liberty and freedom is basically up to the government, and we don't have to fight for that. By going to war i'm not defending freedom, i'm helping get revenge, and make this country look good. I'm not going to get killed so a country can look like a hero. As long as the President keeps this country free, we have nothing to fight for. Freedom and war, in this case, aren't synonimous.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Well no one WANTS to go to war
I beg to disagree.
And the US being to nosy in everything is it's own downfall. That is why nobody likes the US. Other countries just say they like the US to not be bombed into the stone age.

wow AE_ i feel the same way as you do, very well said!

Wow, do some people think Iraq still has someting to do with 9/11? You'd think the bipartisan commission would have ended that. Propaganda is alive and well!

Capslock

Apparently. Even the govt. admitted there was no link.

You can purchase the real 9/11 commission report following this election.
The commission withheld any failures of the Bush Administration from the official published report until after the election "so as not to influence the results" was the statement made when the partial publishing was announced.

I was having a talk with a teacher today, and he brought to my attention that it was a democrat who tried to pass the bill for the draft. Charles Wrangle, who afterwords voted against his own bill, was that democrat. It was basically a scare tactic.

thats not right. If i was trying to be anoying id counter with some political BS, but im not, and i wont

Back