Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Draft? no draft?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I belive every citizen should have to perform at least eighteen months service for his country.
    I disagree. I don't think that the government should have the power to make its citizens be subject to mandatory service, no matter how good the motives are, in times of peace.

It seems most here wouldn't mind being drafted IF the war was just and seemed to be necessary. I understand this sentiment, and feel the same way myself. I can tell you this though, if I was drafted (I'm too old to be drafted, but that is subject to change in time of crisis I'm sure) I would not run, not matter how I feel.

-Homer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]did I MAKE them do that? no. and I thank them for doing that but I don't think attacking iraq was defending our freedom, nor that it was the best country to attack (even at the time)
    we don't NEED a draft. everyone says so. the soldiers in iraq, the bush administration, etc. No, you can't have everything, but you can have freedom without a draft. you CAN'T have freedom with a draft. and I WILL defend my own freedom by going somewhere that doesn't make me kill people or be at risk of being seriously hurt/killed.
    and I do appreciate the value of freedom. that's exactly why I don't want a draft.
    It's true we don't need a draft. And you know why? It's because we do stuff like what we did in Iraq instead of waiting until Saddam Hussein actually had developed WMDs and blown us up.

Finch, if I remember correctly we have had debt since Roosevelt took us out of the Great Depression. Actually our reliance on debt is one of the reasons we are one of the richest nations.
    the cellist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any country that has to order its citizens on penalty of imprisionment to attend to it's defense does not deserve to stand. That includes the USA.

WWII was a different matter than Vietnam. Men were signing up so fast that a draft did not to be mandated. Was there even a draft in WWII (too busy at looking at Cindy Brown in her miniskirt back in American History Class that day I guess).

Vietnam was my generations terror! Ask yourself now what the purpose of Vietnam really was? Do you have an answer for me, or for the millions of lives wasted and ruined?

Well, some mighty big people had investments in helicopter comapnies and arms contracts back then. Their profit from the war contracts was blood money sucked out of my generation! The draft was a HORRIBLE crime against my generation, placing this country as close to civil was as it has been since the days of the American Civil War. The Draft is great for big business, especially to make the rich richer. There you have it in a nice ugly nutshell.

I was an ACTIVE opponent of the draft in the Vietnam era, and I will see my son drafted and sent to war *over my dead body* to preserve a freedom that, by demonstration, is an illusion.

The choice as to whether or not a war is just is a matter of personal conviction, and participation in it must remain always a matter of personal choice. Taking away an individuals right to make that decision for themselves is despotic and against everything this Nation professes. This is not a decision that can be legislated. This isn't about a NAtion: it is about the one out of the many: John Everyman, the individual with rights this country is supposed to protect.

To those who answer this sort of call out of a sense of conscience and justice, no reward or praise is high enough. Vetrans that defend YOUR right to refuse to participate with their life's blood are the greatest of heros -but those that stand firm in their refusal to give in to an irresponsible power with the legal right to command them to act against their conscience are also heros.

Vietnam produced many such heros, and many shattered and ruined lives as well, both abroad and right here at home at the supper table, thanks to our elected officials greed and indifference to the collective will of its citizens. I would like to think that such a powerful history lesson would have been well learned by this Nation, but it would likely be a vain hope.

I went to my pre-induction physical when I turned 18. I was forced to. Once there, I was processed like cattle. My body was marked with a magic marker to show I had had this or that test. Big red X. Big black check mark. Mooo. There were probably bodies in Nam with those marks still unfaded! I can't tell you the hours of helpless terror I felt as I neared the age of 18. I spent years convinced I was going to die, and absolutely powerless to prevent it. This was not an abstract "someday I am going to die" anxiety. It was a day to day, gut wrenching omnipresent terror. My brother was in Nam. Mom would lisyen every day to the daily "Death Count" on the evening news, worried sick and falling apart when no word came from Bobby.

All that suffering, and there still to this day is no reasonable explanation of why. Now you ask if I am in favor of reinstating this enslavement and placing a similar death sentence on another generation's heads, for a war that may or may not exist and may or may not be just. I should trust my elected officials to know what is best? Like our current administrations inaccurate assessment of the arms potential in Iraq?

No way.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear mention of fighting for this freedom we enjoy. It has been many, many, many years since a war was fought that actually protected the citizens of the U.S. All the other wars were fought for another countries freedom NOT mine nor should I be or anyone else labeled as "wussie" for not caring about fighting for someone elses rights. Let them fight for their own rights. I am all for removing Sadam but it is not my obligation to fight for Iraqi freedoms it is their own. This is America pal- Every man for himself, I fight everyday for my family. I have no time or energy to fight someone elses fight.
    I don't remember who said it but NO IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MARIJAUNA LEGALIZATION! I DON'T EVEN SMOKE THE S***! When was the last time you were arrested because you were innocent until proven guilty OR were you guilty and if you want out you must prove your innocence? That is what I mean.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Over the years the united states has became the self proclaimed nanny of the world. The government sticks their noses into everything, then expects its citizens to go and fight for another countries problems. I just wish the government will "mind their business" for once.
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very well said..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some things need our assistance in. Like the genocide in dafur
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Finch, if I remember correctly we have had debt since Roosevelt took us out of the Great Depression. Actually our reliance on debt is one of the reasons we are one of the richest nations.
    no, that makes no sence, and yes, we had a surplus untill 2000. a big one
    that makes no logic

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast