What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Draft? no draft?

we're going to debate about the draft in school. I really don't like class debates though. I was amazed at how many people wanted the draft back (after all, many of us could be affected by it in a couple of years/now :p) and how many people were undecided.
so, what do you think?
and in a totally unrelated subject (I don't really think this deserves it's own post) there was a new species of human discovered in indonesia. the funny thing is, native people have stories about little people that fit the description of the new species.
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/afp/20041025/hobbit.html
creepy huh? sure gets you thinkin'. maybe there are new species of humans somewhere in the depths of the amazone or something... how exciting would that be if they found another one???

hey thanks for the link, very interesting. and as to the draft at the moment i see no need for its return but who knows what the future holds.

The problem with reinstituting the draft is that the upper-class families may have their kids get drafted and sent to a conflict zone instead of to a ritzy college. That, of course, is not the American way as we now know it.

i don't think there's a need for it yet, but military enrollment is declining and the situation in Iraq isn't helping that trend. however, i don't think it'll happen. it would be extremely unpopular in this day and age. i would be in support of the draft only if it was truly necessary, for a conflict that had the future of our nation at stake.

what about the question of WHO should be drafted?
should it be an universal draft that includes males, females, politicians, rich people, people in college, conciensious (sp?) objectors, etc? or how?

I come from a family of draft dogers and I'm proud to say I would do the same. If this machine continues churning out it's war waste it will be inevitable no matter who gets elected, both have promised "more troops". If I were dragged off to war I would be spending any time off the battlefield in Levinworth or maybe Gitmo these days.

I'll die in the Gitmo torture chambers before I march to anyones orders but my own.

As to who will get sent, look at Vietnam and see who got sent (or allowed themselves to be taken) and who didn't. Don't expect Bush or Kerry's girls or the children of corporate money to be waving swords and leading the troops through the desert sands. It will be mostly middle and lower class people dying in the dust for something at least 50% of them do not believe in. These types of people (including myself) are considered "expendible" by the infrastructure.

As far as "a war worth fighting", I've yet to see one.

LOL!!! I'd do anything in my power not to go. If they wanted to draft me, it's off to mexico! :p

Well, during the end of the Vietnam war the borders to canada and mexico were sealed to those of draft age (I think 18-26 year olds but I'm not positive). My uncle was running an sort of "underground railroad" to get hippies outta the country during Nam when he got snagged by the feds.

I didn't know that... LOL! they have to seal off the borders to keep people in. now that's ironic!!!

The same illegal in/out routes apply to that sort of operation as with migrants coming/going. It's just that theres is never very big instances of Americans sneaking out of the country during peacetime. What would you do, sneak into mexico city and get your old job back?
smile_m_32.gif

But during wartime it's different and a federal crime for the person crossing the border and of course, anyone helping them!

I wouldn't like to be drafted; however, I am not really against the draft. If it weren't for a draft, Hitler would likely have succeeded in conquering the world. However, I think people should only be drafted to defend the country, not to mess with other countries.

Ideally, we would have a militia instead of a standing army, as was outlined in the constitution. That way the power would be in the hands of the people, and presidents would mettling with other countries' problems. There also would be no $$$$$$$$ going into the fighting business.

Peter

why mexico city? what job? LOL
sure... it would be easy to get back to the way it was before I came. get into school, finish it, go to college, piece of cake :p

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]tary enrollment is declining and the situation in Iraq isn't helping that trend

would u enroll to go into that ?

I'm with luis on this one... first announcement of a draft, i'm on a plane to the Dominican Republic because thats gonna take this country downhill and fast. I don't think we are the same nation we were 100 years or even 10 years back, and if a draft is initiated, i don't expect that its going to be "welcomed with open arms", especially for a war that most people think is unecessary and costly.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]first announcement of a draft, i'm on a plane to the Dominican Republic because thats gonna take this country downhill and fast.

Or maybe uphill if all the people who don't want to defend the country leave
biggrin.gif

it would depend highly on circumstances on wiether or not i would go. honestly if it was something along the lines of world war 2 where a mad man is trying to take over the world then chances are i would join before a draft even happened. i tend to agree with Amateur, if a draft happens at this stage in the game chances are there would wind up being a war fought in this country to heck with anyone else

I will be the first to say I have been abbused by the system and ignored and many other things I will not go into. The point is I will not fight for a country who does not fight for me. I would very easily take my own kneecaps, no running or hiding for me - I have a family. I can live with broken kneecaps but if I do not beleive in what I'm doing, is it likely I'll even come home outside of the pine box? Probably not. I wouldn't dodge the draft, I'd be deemed unfit to serve.
No Drafts are gonna happen, thats a good way to get impeached.

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]why mexico city? what job? LOL

My job. LOL. But really, that sums up my career up to this point in life.

-Homer

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The point is I will not fight for a country who does not fight for me

Our system is so effective that voters must feel much confidence in it. Thats why so many people dont vote, right? (please say thats the reason)

Our system is so great that we feel the need to impose it on onther, less fortunate countries (please say thats not the reason)

Wait superimposedhope when u mean a country that doesnt fight for u, u dont mean the legalization or marjiwana, right? Anyay about that, just read the current supreme court and congreeses pricipals. At the end of the documents insert the sentance

> And thats why pot is still illgeal.

Its simple, really.

Back