What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Happy halloween!

Gather roun' chillun cuz its time for a HISTORY LESSON
TODAY'S TOPIC OF DISCUSSION IS HALLOWEEN, A MOST CELEBRATED HOLIDAY. MOST ODDLY; HALLOWEEN IS CELBRATED MORE THAN CHRISTMAS AT SCHOOLSE, ETC.
Halloween

Literal Translation:All Hallows Eve
All(All) Hallows (Living Evil) Eve (Dawn of...)

So...
Dawn of all living "evil" (more recently changed to "dead" because of different dialects)

In the end...
Dawn of all evil
or...
Dawn of all dead

Monotheistic History lesson:
The Devil's spawn's Birthday (October 31)
The Great Flood, with Noa and his Great Ark. (October 30)
Devil's Death (October 30)
The Devil's spawn's Retreatment to the land of "Hell" (November 2)

In Conclusion:
The Dawn of the Dead, The dawn of evil. This is the one and only day that the Devil can leave Hell. Do we want to celebrate this day.

Interesting Factoids:
Halloween is the celebration of the "Spawn's" birth.
The most deaths of a certain day: October 31.
Halloween is the most celebrated day of the year, The most money is spent on this day than any other.

Christmas is the celebration of the Birth of Christ, Gods son.
The least deaths of a certain day: Christmas.
Christmas is the least celbrated holiday, The least money is spent on this holiday than any other.

You do the math.

huh.

interesting

shows what kind of world we live in
confused.gif

hah I thought they'd take out the slogan "to he## with halloween" because that's where it came from... strangely halloween comes around the same time as day of the dead

Now that's freaky

Drosera Dude,
I have no idea where yu got your "history", but it is 100% WRONG!!!!
Halloween has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with the Devil..
it never has..
Halloween is older than the Christian concept of the Devil..
it was first celebrated by people who had never even heard of the Devil.
so how can the Devil be any part of it? he isnt..
I consider myself a Christian..buit what some Christians have done to pervert and twist actual history is shamefull.

please read this, and please stop perpuating myths as facts.
(and the rest of you..dont be so quick to believe everything you read!
confused.gif

http://www.neopagan.net/Halloween-Origins.html

I really don't care what it's origins are, Halloween parties are the best.
smile_n_32.gif

uh I wish I could get off celebrating Christmas for the few dollars I spend on Halloween!!! Jeesh a few bags of candy some pumpkins and a costume does not even come close to buying a tree and gifts for the whole family and then some more bags of candy!
Also I know quite a few people who dont celebrate Halloween at all or even Harvest day. Where as almost every religion has some holliday based on or celebrated on Christmas. I need to go to work right now or Id do some research on the subjects.
haha Jeesh I could only wish you were right on this one life would be so less stressful! And maybe all of the hospitals wouldnt have to fill up thier psycho wards full of people with the Christmas blues either. Yep its the busiest time of year for them cause its so darn depressing when you want to please everybody with a wonderful gift any yet dont have the wallet to back it up.  

By the way... Hallow is also a term for holy as in Hallowed ground

Halloween's roots can be traced back to Celtic culture in Ireland, with the 'Druid's' calender stating that the new year falls on November 1. It was believed that the spirits of all who died in the previous year, would rise up and roam the earth on this night, leading to the celebrations involving costumes, trick or treat, and superstitions.

Main Entry: hal·low
Pronunciation: 'ha-(")lO
Function: transitive verb
Etymology: Middle English halowen, from Old English hAlgian, from hAlig holy -- more at HOLY
1 : to make holy or set apart for holy use
2 : to respect greatly : VENERATE
synonym see DEVOTE

Ive done the research aka "math" now quit walkin all over my right for fun and feel free to find some facts that back up your story

In Wicca tradition and other Pagan religions (as well as another Christian holiday appropriated from the pagan calendar celebrated as "All Souls Day") October 31st has always been tied to the concept of Death. Souls of the dead remain on this plane for a year, passing over on this day. Until then, they remain tied to this plane, experiencing but unable to affect anything. Also it is when the veil is thinnest between this world and the afterlife (reputedly) which is why Houdini said he would always try to break through on Halloween, and send a message from the Beyond. Each year there is a circle trying to reach him as well.

In other religions, like the Greek mysteries, this was the season when Persephone must return to the underworld for her half year stay with the Lord of Death. She should have never eaten that pomegranete seed.

It is one of the Great Sabbats in Wicca. The association with both demons, the Devil, Evil, and old hags on broomsticks are all the result of Christian propaganda. The fact that the Wiccan Horned God and the Christian Devil both have horns is unfortunate by way of comparison. But it means nothing. Its like comparing two Presidents, like Abe Lincoln and George Bush for an anagolous comparison.

It is an ancient holiday celebrating the unseen realities that govern our human spirit. It is the most magical day of the year, IMO. This year I will go out and sample some nightlife and music. An excellent Grateful Dead cover band is playing at Old City Hall, and my former Sound company is doing the sound. I might even get a moment in the lime light. I will be going looking as normal as is possible.

Oh, do me a favor? When the kids come to your door, make them state their business. I believe the magic phrase is "Trick or Treat". Walking up to a door with an open bag and no greeting gets a "may I help you" from me! This is a hold over from the old days of offering appeasement to demons. Sort of supernatural protection money. But make them work for it.

The TRICK was a very real possibility of the evening, now degenerated into rude pumpkin smashing. Lately capitalistic little twerps have taken that one step beyond, and now steal pumpkins on steps prior to Halloween for RESALE. Is nothing holy? Soaping windows is a good trick I think.

One neighborhood Christian fanatic used to put religious pamphlets into our bags at Halloween when we were kids. One year we took a can of barbasol shave cream and punched a hole through the side. With the nail left in, it made a nifty grenade. One guy popped her door, and the other (nameless) pulled the pin and rolled the can into the hall. It made the neatest ppppppppppppppffffffffffffsssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhtttttttttttt sound, which were drowned out be the shrieks of the REAL neighborhood Evil Hag. A fitting revenge for a despiser of children....if your ball went over the fence and into her yard it was time for a new ball. Now watch her show up at my door at midnight, holding my old ball and an empty shaving cream can! Ugh!

Disclaimer: puncturing a pressurized can can result in the can exploding and causing great injury or death. Breaking and entering is a crime punishable by law. Please try to be responsible in your terrorizing. Thank you and have a safe Halloween.

P.S. Then there is the burning paper bag full of dog product placed alight on the step with the bell being rung.

It's against the law too.

As stated above, Halloween is an old tradition/celebration with rich history.

For most folks, today's Halloween is kids having fun being kids, adults giving themselves permission to act like kids... and all alike eating lots of candy, pretending to be someone/something you're not, tricking and treating, laughing and just plain ol' having fun.

I remember the days when you MADE your costumes (never bought them!).  Part of the excitement was thinking of what you wanted to be and figuring out what you needed to make your costume.  It was creative and FUN. And you didn't worry about poisoned food, so you got cool things like candy apples, popcorn balls (my favorite...yummy!), and homemade cookies for treats as well as candy.  And after trick-or-treating you went to the Armory for a costume contest (I won second prize once!), bobbing for apples and fishing for prize bags with a bamboo fishing pole.  Nobody smashed pumpkins back then.

So...

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:eek:range'>HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!</span></span>
ghostface.gif

ghostface.gif

ghostface.gif

smile_k_ani_32.gif

Have a fun (but safe) evening!  
smile.gif

Don't eat so much candy you get  
smile_t_32.gif

Droseradude, I hate to burst your balloon, but your completely wrong. You might want to check your facts a little more carefully. You might also want to look into the origins of other "Christian" traditions. I think you will find that there isn't a one that doesn't borrow from pagan traditions in some way. Easter and Christmas included. Have fun.

Foks just a reminder.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and thoughts, whether they are right or wrong is sometimes in the eye of the beholder. If yours disagree with someone elses, make thoughtful arguments and support yours with facts. You may or may not convince the other person to change their views but please don't go around calling the other person wrong or a liar. Doing so is not constructive.

Tony

What I found with a quick Google of "All Hallows Eve".

Brief history I liked Tamlin's better
biggrin.gif

Catholic version of history Remarkably similar to previous web page

In the second paragraph of this page you get the true definition of "hallow" and "e'en". I found the rest of it interesting reading also: How Halloween Can Be Redeemed I'm sorry but twisting Hallow to: "Hallows (Living Evil)" just really ticked me off! A quick check of the dictionary gives the same definition of hallow as this website did.

sorry folks... I have to admit that I didn't even write that... hah! my friend did from school. Modern halloween is witches, warlocks, and the goth and devil worshipper's favorite holiday. if christian propoganda made it become that... not my fault the point is that it is. And dead spirits roaming the earth does not have the most appealing effect. I went to google and found all these devil worshipper ppl who love halloween. didnt' look at that too long

BCK I checked out that link... halloween seems all the more worst... spells, wandering dead!? If the history was wrong that's fine, what halloweeen is today is lurid. Its all fake ghosts, the day goths worship satan, fake witches... not happy

and that god with horns... if he's "lord of the dead" then thats the devil in another culture

So, having gotten my own evidence (from all of you, and the links you've provided:

Halloween past
*day where dead spirits roam the earth (-)
*day to honor the "lord of the dead" (-)
*later changed by Roman Catholics to the day to honor the dead (+)
Halloween today
*trick or treating (+)
*ghosts, witches, and blood and gore (-)
*fright (-)
*holiday celebrated by devil worshippers and goths (-)
*celebration with jack o lanterns and candy (+)
still think its horrifying and not good
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]In Wicca tradition and other Pagan religions (as well as another Christian holiday appropriated from the pagan calendar celebrated as "All Souls Day") October 31st has always been tied to the concept of Death.
AND THATS A GOOD THING ?

Did you check on the origins of some of our other Christian customs yet. Halloween is but one of our traditions that has borrowed heavily from Celtic and other pagan religions for our symbols and customs. To lable something "devil worship" without understanding it's origins or purpose is "unChristian". Unchristian because it judges on surface appearances/impressions. We can not "love our neighbors as we love ourselves" if we do not understand them or their customs. That would be like me seeing a person with piercings and studs all over their face and automatically deciding they were bad.

Yes, accultists celebrate the Halloween also. As mentioned before it is the time when the barrier between this world and the next is believed to be the thinnest and easiest to cross. It is my believe that they have borrowed as heavily from pagan rituals and customs as Christians have.

naw I read that devil worshippers celebrate halloween as their fav holiday, and knowing some personally....
now if somebody dresses goth I don't deem then satanic, in fact I wear black a lot and dress goth sometime

Back