Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Here's a list of seed ordered, need instructions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tee he... I am not the teacher. I would best be described as her "lab assistant". I do work in the community with kids though and focus is on exotic species control, management, and eradication. I definitely do like wetlands!

I am over the Alan seed order mess. What is done is done and I would have never placed an order had I known he was suspected of wild collecting which is a cardinal sin in my book. The age of the seed doesn't exactly thrill me either considering I would have liked the kids to have fresh seed with which to work.

The D.linearis seed I will keep and play with myself here at home if it comes in. In addition to my little acid bog, I have a small fen at home that will meet that plant's requirements. I only have sedges and a few rushes in the fen which is fine so there is space to add a few linearis. Those seeds, should they even germinate, won't go to the school based on what I have learned here. I played with the potential hydrogen by adding white pine needles to the sand/sphagnum mix I made for the school and toyed with the idea of adding a tince of extremely diluted vinegar to further increase the acidity of their planting medium but figured it best to wait until the teacher tested the mix to see what it was at first. Everything they have is going to have a PH of somewhere in the 5-6 range I suspect which may be ideal for the plants we received but not so good for any D. linearis.

I'm thinking I will print Tamlin Dawnstar's seed sowing thread and this thread and hand them in their entirety to the science teacher. She'll love getting all this great germination information! Sure will save her a tremendous amount of time on line researching the seeds ordered.

I will post a request for a few things sooner or later but I am not going to post a blanket request with an address here in the trade section as I can guarantee we'd get more than enough plants and seed to start our own cottage industry. I base this statement on what we were sent this past week by ONLY 3 people. Last night, I came home and saw two boxes that had been delivered here. Holy cow is about all I can say. At the school, we will now have a "Littlest Shop Of Horrors" in addition to the "Little Shop Of Horrors" because of the gifts. The inside school's "Littlest Shop" will have almost 20 tropical CP plants for the classroom including VFTs and one Vodoo Lily that is sure to be a big hit thanks to 3 people here. They will look awesome all lined up by the windows! We also will have at least 10 hardy CPs that will be replanted outside in the school's "Little Shop Of Horrors" next spring. A few people from Terra forums are sending fresh seed to us. Another person offered to send more seed (I saw the pm and I will get back to you) and another offered to send sarracenia plants later on this winter when they divide their plants. The classroom can only handle x number of plants and we have to consider our skill set which is virtually non existent other than that which we are learning here. I really truly do not want any rare plants as if they die, I will feel guilt. Maybe in a few years I will personally try some but it is doubtful the teacher will want to try any, I know her pretty well now. Unfortunately there are those darn space limitations as they really want to try their hands at germination to get plants for outside the school. Based on the seed I bought and the 6 different types that will be sent by members, that is going to mean 20+ baggies in the frig in the teacher's lounge and then additional space in the classroom after they are cold stratified. I suspect the classroom will go with the damp paper towel method while I will go with the method described by PlantAKiss when I try to germinate the oreo and leuco seeds from good ole boy Alan who should have his hands cracked with a nice big fat ruler if he is wild collecting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A question For Plant A Kiss please-
    I looked high and low and came up empty handed as far as "long fibered sphagnum moss". The Home Depots/Menards/WalMarts and other big box stores in my area do not carry it. Unfortunately, neither do the nurseries and greenhouses. I bought this bale that at least states it is sphagnum moss and that it allegedly is Wisconsin's finest. Can I use this for germination? I also do not have a blender so maybe I can crunch it in my hands?

And these are some of the containers I bought. Are these what you were referring to? The small ones I thought the teacher could use for cold stratification seeds that she would put in a frig... less likely to get thrown out of the frig in the teacher's lounge in an official looking food container. The other ones are for the sphagnum mix for seeds that don't need cold stratification. Am I on the right track?

If the sphagnum moss I picked up will not work, I need an online source. Thanks much, Laura

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That moss cna be used for germiantion(add water to it, it iwll start to grow and eventally turn green!)
    Yes, youc an break it up with your hands. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    those containers do look O.K to me, I owuld howeevr, suggest that you drill holes in the bottom.
    Dino

P.S
    I know Im not PAK but I think this is what she owuld have anwsered. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks to be the right moss. Just be sure you remove the twigs and fossilized human remains before use.

I am extremely happy with the response of our members to your request.

I am going to write to our local school district and see if I can interest them in a similar project for next spring.....get 'em while they are young!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like you have taken on huge project. Your dedication to both doing it right and asking questions about is commendable. The bale shown, is the same kind I use and it is twiggy. Haven't found any fossilized remains, but Barry recently made a comment about falling through some sphagnum bogs in his adventures in the North, so be VERY, VERY, CAREFUL! One thing I do with the bale is to separate the twigs and debris when I have just some free time.

The children may even have fun doing this, but I will caution the side of a conservative and say, these children should not be the overative ones, like me, but be able to sit for a period of time on the floor with news paper and put the debris in one pile, and the moss in the bucket/container. Saves time later. There was a comment made about it turning green and growing.

It does, but it is SSSSLLLLLOOOOOWWWW! VERY VERY VERY SLOW! In my opinion, but good things are usually worth the wait. My only comment on receiving gifts from the forum members, I BELIEVE WE ARE A GREAT WONDERFUL GROUP OF ENTHUSIASTIC HOBBYIST/PROFESSIONALS [AKA: PHILLIP, BARRY, ETC] THAT DERIVE ENJOYMENT FROM OUR OWN COLLECTIONS AND FIND GREATER ENJOY IN THE SHARING THERE OF. I HAVE SEEN THE SMILE, FOLLOWED BY THE SCREAM OF EXCITEMENT WHEN A CHILD DISCOVERS NEW WONDERS OF NATURE, AND LOOK FORWARD TO TALKING ABOUT CARNIVOROUS PLANTS IN THE SPRING EVERY YEAR AT SCHOOL. THIS YEAR I PUT A COLLECTION OF PLANTS IN THE CLASSROOM SO THE KIDS CAN WATCH THEM GROW.

If people don't want to share they won't. People to want to help, they won't.

I believe here, WE ALL WANT TO HELP AND SHARE WHAT WE CAN. Let us without regret or reservations.

[stepping down off soap. tripping over orange crate, crashing into tomatoes, ahh man, . . . . . ]

rick
    Rick Myers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tamlin, the plants the school currently has all came from 3 members. Incredible isn't it! The school also has seed from other members which is going to be awesome! There is another member sending plants from a recent trade and then a young person contacted me to send a "No Kill" Nepenthes to the kids. The school is on it's way!

Tamlin, I do have one comment... Most schools plan their budget for the following year round about now. Approval for projects such as this are often times like extracting teeth with pliers. Funds are hard to come by unless a parent, or somebody else, volunteers to foot the bill. I had to contribute all of the school's supplies for this project to get them to authorize it. If you are able to get the District by you to want to try some CPs, you let me know and count me in to contribute materials to help them keep their CPs alive.

I totally agree with you, we gotta get them while they're young!

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Laura

Yes that is the correct moss. Its usually not labeled "long fibered"...typically it says Sphagnum Moss. Just don't confuse peat moss with LFS. Peat moss is the ground up, somewhat powdery version usually sold in tight brick-like bales or smaller, looser bags. I buy the large bales. Wisconsin LFS is fine but tends to be rather "trashy" with sticks, roots and weeds. Don't be surprised if you start getting ferns growing. I get baby ferns (looks like Boston ferns) growing in most of my tanks. If I'm putting LFS in small pots, I usually take a pair of scissors and chop it up (i just stab the scissors into a container of it and chop away...or hold a hunk in my hand and snip the ends). Doesn't take long to get it chopped enough not to have long, unruly threads. For smaller plants or seeds I'll mill small amounts in the blender. Lowes has started selling Chilean LFS and I like it...its blonde and usually very clean.

Yes, I use those same containers too BUT...you can find lots of free ones if you pay attention. To-go salad bar containers are good...deli food containers from grocery stores...fruit containers like strawberry or blueberry containers (I like these for vented containers). I also make larger, custom pots out of nice food containers like Chinese soup containers or macaroni salad containers. Any time you are around food that travels...look at the container and think if you can make it into a germination tray or plant pot (might have to melt some drainage holes in the bottom). But at least these types of containers are FREE. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] You can be creative...your working materials don't have to come from a garden center.

You have jumped in with both feet Laura and are doing very well at it. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

"Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I just got back home and opened the bag. I just paid $18 for what appears to be 50% twigs. I am spreading it out on the kitchen table and picking out what I deem to be the obvious. Sorry Rick, no time for the Jr High kids to descend upon the bale and besides which... I don't feel too hot and wasn't in the mood to drive back to the school to watch them get silly and start stuffing it down each other's shirts and such. They are just young people and they do get silly every once in a while which is perfectly normal and healthy I might add. I need to get it in on Friday and I took off this afternoon to get it taken care of. Good news, no human remains so far.

Hi Dino, looks like I got the right moss despite myself! Yes, I have a drill! My very own and I know how to use it! Vroom vroom!

Hi Plant A Kiss, I learned a long time ago that most mistakes aren't fun enough to want to make a second time. I already had my little disaster outside with the squirrels. I am somewhat familiar with peats. The thing that threw me for a loop was the term long fiber. I kept looking for bags claiming the contents were long fiber. I hate to say it but I would be thrilled to learn there had been fern spores in the moss. I like ferns and any that came up would most probably be indigenous to my area. I will make a mental note to let the teacher know to be on the look out for ferns as I am claiming those. The moss is from Wisconsin so now I'm hoping I get a baby Marginal wood fern or Northern maidenhair fern!

I don't have a Lowes around me BUT... perhaps I can call and see where the closest one is for the blonde LSM. Right now I've got enough for the class. I'll forward this information about containers to the teacher. I'll give her what I have and let her go for the rest. She's got some seed now and more coming and then there is the order for seed that I placed from Lowries so she is going to need a lot more containers. Let her ask the kids to start contributing containers from home. She's probably got a month before the order from me comes. Plenty of time for them to amass!

Say what do you all think about very small gooseneck lighting fixtures with gro lite bulbs in them?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast