Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Here's a list of seed ordered, need instructions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ Nov. 10 2004,4:35)]Say what do you all think about very small gooseneck lighting fixtures with gro lite bulbs in them?
    If you don't have room to hang a 4' fluorescent shoplight then I would go with the compact fluorescent bulbs that screw into regular incandescent fixtures. Choice of fixture is yours.. just get a nice high wattage compact fluorescent bulb .. or 2 or 3.. hehe

Don't bother with the growlight fluorescent tubes OR the growlight incandescent bulbs. The former are not worth the money, the later will roast whatever you put under them with the heat they make.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually purchased 3 of those 4' shop lights but I want a lighting fixture for a Nepenthes that the kids are going to be getting that will not be in the same area as their other plants. That's why I was sort of thinking of a stand alone gooseneck lighting fixture. Ihave one of those in storage somewhere so I wouldn't have needed to buy one. I also bought a few of those single clamp on lighting fixtures with grow bulbs. Oops. I can probably easily get compact fluorescent bulbs to go in those fixtures. Do me a favor, tell me exactly what to buy... I am starting to feel like a CP accessory warehouse. Thanks much, Laura

I won't be able to use those 4 footers as the ceilings in the classrooms are very high. Shoulda Coulda wished I had taken a good look at the ceilings before I bought them. I had actually been thinking of placing them under a shelf unit but can't quite figure out how to get them hung.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couple small eye bolts on top of the shoplight and some light chain would do for hanging them from a shelf unit.

As for compact fluorescent, you can use the regular soft white kind from the hardware store. If you can find a daylight type that would be better. The important thing is get the biggest you can find..40+watts if possible.

If you want really nice bulbs then you would have to go for something 65watt 6500k bulbs

Something like this would work. Not quite what I mentioned above with only 55w and 5000k/daylight. But still a nice bulb
    55w 5000k
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen those before! Thanks, I know exactly what to buy now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this LSM cleaned well enough?

I would like to hydrate this tonight and get it ready for some seed that should be coming soon. I hand cleaned it all and lost about 50% of the bag. I was not able to break it apart with my hands but scissors worked quite well.

By the way, I found the "to go" salad containers at Wendy's to be better than any small food storage containers I bought at WalMart. The free Wendy's salad trays have clear tops and are about an inch deep which should be more than adequate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Laura,look at the plant shelf in the pictures.I made this with 1" pvc pipe and fittings.It might give you a idea with the lights you bought.My shelf

Jerry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Laura, your seed IS from Allen Lowrie of Australia. The BACPS gets seed from him, and gets it with the necessary phytosanitary certificates, and the proper CITES permits for ESA listed plants. Anything Allen has sent mentioning Georgia as its origin is totally wrong. Insert the word Alabama into every Georgia goof Allen made. Boaz is in Alabama. Marshall County as a matter of fact. I have seen that stand. Very nice! DeKalb County is in Alabama, too, and the oreo's come from the Sand Mountain Plateau. Some incredibly beautiful oreo's come from these sites. As Pyro mentioned, there is a DeKalb County, Georgia, but Atlanta ate it! I have a mess of seed from him now, and they are on to boil, having spent their 6 week striation time in the fridge. Should be 3 to 6 weeks for germinatrion. A 6 day soak in gibberillic acid will net 85 to 100% strikes, and some folks freeze the seed for exactly 48 hours then put it down. 75% strikes on that method, but I won't use it. Don't trust it. And yet, I will freeze D. linearis seed for 5 months, but won't freeze sarr seed for only 2 days. Go figure.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Jerry, I finally made it over to take a peek at your plant shelf after I looked at every photo of CPs in your webshots album! Nice S.oreophila x leucophlla! Your plant shelf is very nice also. I got mine out of a dumpster! I'm quite pleased with mine actually and the price was right. Another factor is that I am most probably not as handy as you and would be about as qualified to put something together like what you did as a 2 year old playing with Tinker Toys. I suspect a plant shelf constructed by me would not be identifiable as a plant shelf.

Does my LFS look ok?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast