Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Here's a list of seed ordered, need instructions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a list of seed a friend selected for me. He placed an order for me with his order to save on shipping and handling and to meet minimum orders I believe.

D intermedia Canada
    D. linearis Giant Form Near Oliphant, Bruce County Ontario
    D. capillaries “northern form, white flower” Milton Co., Florida
    D. filiformis var tracyi Route 375, N of Sopchoppy, Franklin Co, Florida
    S. flava “pubescent” Green Swamp, North Carolina X *S. flava “heavily veined, Green Swamp, North Carolina
    S. leucophylla “giant” Franklin Co., Florida
    S. leucophylla “large form mostly white top” off Route 66, Franklin Co., Florida
    S. oreophila clone via U.S.A.
    S. oreophila Boaz, Georgia
    S. oreophila DeKalb Georgia
    S. purpurea subsp. purpurea “seeds collected from red and veined plants” Moss Lake, Grey Co., Ontario,Canada
    S. rubra subsp. gulfensis “all green form” Santa Rosa Co., Florida
    S. rubra subsp. gulfensis “alba”
    S. rubra subsp. wherryi “cultivated clone via U.S.A.”
    S. minor Harleysville SC
    S. minor Waycross Georgia
    S. leucophylla "white with green veins" Baldwin Co., Alabama

I do not know his source as I didn't ask but he did mention the seed would come from Australia from a man named Alan and that the seed packs were $4 a piece.

I need "age appropriate" growing instructions for 6th, 7th, and 8th grade kids for every seed listed above. I found the site on growing CP plants from the web ring.

I also could use a supply list of materials I will need to purchase for them, in addition to the seed which was already paid for, so that they can try to germinate the seed in a school room.

I ordered doubles of the oreos and the leucos listed above to give as gifts to a few friends as well as for me to try to germinate one oreo and one leuco myself here at home. Any pearls of wisdom for me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only one that will probably be an issu for you is D. linearis. This guy is a fruit loop in terms of Drosera and actually does best under alkiline conditions. I have never grown it but I have heard that the best media is one of sand, perlite and come trace gypsum. You might want to try contacting Tamlin for some more on this guy.

All the others are also likely to need a stratification to ensure good germination. Take a paper towel, wet it and then ring it out really well. Open it back up and place the seed on it. Fold it and place it in a plastic bag and drop the bag in your fridge for a month minimum (2-3 is better.)

I know who the original source is. I do not want to start a debate but I feel it only fair to warn you that many people feel that this person does not throw out seed after it gets too old so some of the stuff you recieve might be 2, 3, 4 or more years old. This can have an effect on germination.

Also, one last thing, S. oreophila DeKalb Georgia has to be a wrong label. I live in DeKalb County, GA and it is 100% city. The closest oreo stand is 70+ miles away from DeKalb Co. I believe that it is probably DeKalb Alabama but do not quote me on that.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, with this seed, if you don't get germination, it may not be any fault of yours in sowing. Just bear that in mind.

You sure got a long list there! And some nice ones. You have a lot of plants with "location data" and that is very important. Make sure seed of each variety is sown separately and is correctly and fully labeled. Keep those labels with each plant once they are large enough to transfer and be planted.

Methods of sowing varies between growers but generically speaking, most people use peat for germinating drosera and many use sphagnum moss for sarracenia. But like I said, everyone has their own method.

As Pyro mentioned, the sarracenia seed will probably need "stratification" before sowing. Stratification is keeping the seeds in a cold, moist environment for 1-3 months prior to sowing (as would happen naturally outside...seeds drop in the fall, remain cool and damp through winter, germinate in spring with warmer weather). You might want to ask a specific question on that in the sarracenia forum.

I have successfully germinated drosera seed with moist peat in a semi-sealed plastic container. "To go" salad bar containers have worked nicely for me. You can see through them to check on your seeds. For sarracenia I have used finely milled (in a blender) longfibered sphagnum moss. I moisten the milled fiber, fill a plastic container 1/3 full with it, sprinkle my seed on the top, cover it and toss it in the fridge for a 1-2 months. Then I take it out, and put in a warm place. You do not need much light at this stage. Only after seed has germinated do you need to have a lot of light.

I'm sure there are others here with good tips and different methods. This is what has worked for me.

You will need germinating containers, peat moss, longfibered sphagnum moss and pure water, a cool place for stratification and plant labels.

I was just wondering...is it legal to sell Oreo seeds? I guess laws are different in Oz. There are strict laws here regarding selling/tranferring Oreophilas but I don't know if it applies to seed as well. Just curious.

Good luck!

Suzanne [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well.. technically CITES I plants includes seed. So it should not be crossing international borders any more than plants.

Sarracenia listed in appendix I
    S. rubra ssp. alabamensis and ssp. jonesii
    S. oreophila

My personal suggestion would be to spend the money to join the ICPS for $25 and then get seed from their seedbank. At least it should be relatively fresh. Fortunately Sarracenia seed is fairly durable and long lived.

T

Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony raises a good point about ICPS. And they are cheaper to boot [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am already a member of ICPS. They are only $1 a pack but they will not charge an educational institution. That made me feel uncomfortable as there have got to be other organizations that are out there that don't have anyone funding them and I looked at their quantities and their stock seemed so low so I figured leave that seed for other schools. I placed this order for the seed listed above with my friend to get seed for the kids and a little for me personally and a few packs to give as gifts because I was too embarrassed to ask for anything here since that auction was over and I saw the prices those plants auctioned went for and felt really uncomfortable. I already knew these plants were expensive as I bought quite a few that are no longer alive. The bottom line is that one man has already sent me really nice plants and another man is sending me plants to help replace what I bought for the school that was trashed by the squirrels before I fenced in my bog and I was so grateful to be offered anything that I didn't want to come back and even suggest I wanted anything else as people are beyond generous here and nobody would even take my money for shipping and handling so that made me feel raunchy. And two other members from the Terra forums here are sending me two different types of seed which I have no doubt will be fresh. I placed another order for seed with an organization that I don't even remember what the name was a while ago and I never got my seed from a month ago and I evidently didn't save the address where I mailed the check along with my seed selections so there goes another $100. Ugh. So what I am gathering is that this other person, "Alan", is going to send me seed that is so old its viability is questionable and now I am going to have a teacher with a bunch of kids sitting there looking at baggies and trays of nothingness other than soil? Great. I am beginning to feel as if I am darned if I do and darned if I don't.

I guess I am going to break down and place an order with ICPS for anything they don't have.

Where do I get longfibered sphagnum moss?

Thanks for your help. What's the deal on D. linearis? Are we talking a double dormancy seed? Does it maybe need scarification or something?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    actually some of the plants on that auction went for way more then they are worth. basically some of us were just donating money to the cause and recieved a plant for the donation. alot of us here on the forms have no problems giving away are extra stuff its just gotten dang near to cold fo me to send you my extras plus it sounds as if you already have recieved what i would have sent. good luck with your class. it sounds like a fun project
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Laura,

Just a guess but believe they're ordering from
    Allan Lowrie of Austrialia (author of Carnivorous Plants of Australia Vol. 1-3)
    He has a "Huge" seed list available but as others have said germination rates can be variable.
    I have had Sarracenia seed several years old germinate but stratification (cold, moist treatment is needed) prior to germinating (unless you have just out of the pod seed).

I have ordered multiple times from the ICPS seedbank and they strongly support education institutions. They kindly offered some free seed when I did a Carnivorous Plant demonstration for an elementary school.

Good luck with your bog. I've had my own squirrel issues this year and had a raccoon snack on a beautiful Sarracenia leucophylla.

Kirk
    Fitchburg, Massachusetts
    Member of New England Carnivorous Plant Society www.necps.org

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast