Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Parents just dont understand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]But what is your neighborhood? If you're in a sprawling suburbia of 1 acre lots and busy main roads and can't reach stores or parks or friends, you have my sympathy. My parents didn't move to one of those until my senior year of high school and it sucked. I had a drivers license by then and could sometimes get in a car and escape, so didn't have it as bad. Now I'm 43 and we have an 11 year old daughter. We're in a neighborhood of 50 x 100 ft lots with all those stores and parks and friends all within a kid's walking distance. If my daughter says she and a friend are going for an ice cream, I say OK. If we lived somewhere else, I'd have to say, "you're too young."
    Now I'll just say that everyone in my neighborhood is annoying that's my age, and there are a few little kids that are great people but they're younger than me. Its a suburban small neighborhood, two blocks. My parents always say I'm irresponsible so i shouldn't be able to go places. That's because I lose stuff. So I agree I shouldn't be carrying around valuable stuff, but if I'm just carrying around a wallet with five bucks it dun mean I'm going to get run over by a car. On friday I had to convince my dad, and that was very hard; for me to walk to a store across the parking lot. He lectured me about crossing streets. (and I mean I've crossed about 400 freakin streets in my life!) He also tells me to be careful when I ride my bike to school alot. I've ridden my bike to school for three years and nothin happened. My mom; one time she SAT THROUGH THE ENTIRE YOUTH GROUP just to see if it was ok. It's a CHURCH activity, and she is friends with all the parents and the leaders. And what's the result? I write really wierd stuf and get in trouble for doing bad stuff. Its like reverse psyc. If I wasn't watched over so much I wouldn't break rules. I mean ppl my age LIKE breaking rules. I know it isn't good, but its true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]
    Now I'll just say that everyone in my neighborhood is annoying that's my age, and there are a few little kids that are great people but they're younger than me.
    And when i was a i had no problem with hanging out and playing vidiogames with a six-year old. Shure he acted his age alot but thats to be expected/ and we had alot of fun togeather. I ride my bike everywhere, even in the dark (with apropriate safety precautions) and the concept of being confined to a single block is insane to me.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (ChronoKiento @ Nov. 01 2004,2:37)]My mom is really overprotective sometimes. Example, she thinks every single person that gets on the internet is a murderer. She's still trying to prove that AE is some 37 year old fat ugly bald guy with only one arm and a missing finger that wants me to come over to "play". Some of the things she comes up with is hilarious. I have to sneak SASE's and whatnot to the mailbox or she'll yell at me or something. She underestimates my intelligence cuz I act like a total idiot sometimes. ^_^;
    lmao. hey it's my fault my voice is deep [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can let this one go by. Parents, the bane of existance for our children. Jim and I have children the same age, 18, 15 and 10. All boys and always pushing envelope, tugging on the apron strings, etc. We have a good relationship, I think, but not without conflict or miscommunication. Fights always end with a hug, handshake and "I love you."

Questions that require deeper thinking or answers longer than a few words, do occasionally throw us off balance. I, at one time, used those very words, some day you will understand, only to ask myself "When would be that day?" As they have grown older, I have made great strides in pushing aside my own ideas and tried to grasp more of helping/guiding them through life. My children also know the "parental" over protection, their mom. Hundred questions when leaving the house, going out for the evening, visiting a friend, etc. Watching and listening to everything.

I am about 90degrees to the left of this and it works for us. They know the basic routine, and as long as they stay clean and let me know about their movements, things go pretty smoothe. When they don't well, discussions and disagreements follow. The thing about going out into the neighborhood, has changed since the 50's, 60's and 70's. I think we need to be more concerned today than in the past. We, parents, may seem to be over reacting sometimes, but, just turn on the news and really listen to what has happened today. In our day, we may have been more lax because of ingnorance, but listening to the news can make someone paranoid, if you take everything to heart. Geez, parents are humans too,you know, at least most of them. We aren't perfect either, and mimmic how we are raised, with a few suttle differences.

Enough on this topic, I think everyone gets my idea. I never really knew my parents as an adult, they died pretty young, but I do appreciate everything they gave me. Tell your parents you love them, make their day!
    Rick Myers

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Rick, I just HAD to look at your profile! You're insignificantly a little older than me. Cool! Go Sooners!

Anyways, one thing that concerns me as a parent is that no matter how good a head on their shoulders a kid is, there is always the fear that he or she, in an unguarded, insecure moment, they could make a mistake that could radically, deleteriously change their lives and maybe if they were a little older, they might have not knuckled under to whatever. Of course, no one is exempt from making a bad decision - at any age. Well, that's a fear I have. I'll bet there's a lot of that fear as their 17 /18 year old goes off to college and lives inthe dorms. I know - I was there. I saw kids, "raised in the closet" go absolutely nuts as freshman, with their new found freedom. It is difficult for we parents to totally let go and trust - though we want to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am living proof that SOME teens can understand what parents go through and understand most of it. It's all the bad teenagers' faults that we get a bad rap. All with their pot smoking and stupid stuff like that.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand parents, entirely. I think they have a really tough job and no parent is perfect. It's just sometimes they focus too much on their jobs as parents, when they should try understanding the child more.
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just always remember, your parents love you more than you will ever know until you become a parent yourself. They want nothing but the best for you in your life and sometimes it may take a little hairpulling and arguing for them to succeed. There will come a day when they are no longer around and you will realize how much they really meant to you.

So if mom says be home by 10, come home at 10. You will have plenty of years ahead of you where you can stay out as late as you want and do what you want.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast