What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ufos? aliens? et?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]

this may turn into a debate but I don't see how it could get ugly
smile.gif

Do you know know?
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Nov. 06 2004,12:26)]Do you believe there is intelligent life somewhere?
I do believe that there must be intelligent life somewhere, but as last week's elections demonstrated, there is a serious deficiency of intelligent life in the US.

I believe there's intelligent life in the universe. I used to believe in aliens and all that, but as I've gotten older, and either wiser or dumber, I now really don't believe we've been visited. I think all UFO sightings are either aircraft of some sort, strange atmospheric conditions, or overactive imagination. Abductions I think are just vivid dreams, with perhaps a desire for fame involved in a few cases. Chariots of the Gods was one of my favorite books at one point, as well as the series by Zecharia Sitchin (the 12t planet). Very interesting reads, but I think it's all in interpretation. I've been visiting the cryptozoology forums lately and there's also some interesting stuff there. I think the most interesting is a casket of some 14th century (I think) king or something like that, that has what definitely look like dinosaurs engraved on it. Interesting, since dinosaurs weren't really "discovered" until hundreds of years later.

"I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it had tried to contact us."

Since there have been quite a few people here that have seen things they can't explain, Why don't we share our stories.
I've already told one of mine.

lets see on bigfoot im not sure but a couple of my friends swear on their life they have seen them. aliens/intellegent life: yes definatly somewhere.....not sure if they have visited here though. ghosts DEFINATLY............not sure where i stand on alot of the other stuff

Well anybody that don't believe that there are still underdisovered species are crazy. The Jaragua gecko was discovered in the Dominican Republic in 2001. Thats a populated country about the size of New Hampshire. Imaginne what can be living in the places that are barely populated.

there was a decent sized new antelope species discovered in the 1999-2000-2001 time frame in Vietnam

I'm not sure about UFOS visiting here... but I DEFINATELY do not believe in abductions.
I think it's possible that there might be bigfoot and others.... like that ape... in africa.... can't remember the "name". kind of like a cross btw a chimp and a gorilla.
the only thing I remember that is anything close to unexplained is...
I was once by a lake... and saw this HUGE eye staring at me just above the surface. But as soon as I looked, it disappeared.
it was just one.... so that's pretty strange :p
It must have been a HUGE GIANT ENORMOUS frog of some sort.

Probably a side view of a gator.

I wish!!!!
no gators in that pond though. I've never seen a gator
smile_h_32.gif
I even went to the alligator river.. where I saw a black bear butt....
fine I'll explain.
we were coming back and we were talking and my mom said "bear!" but I was looking at her b/c I was talking to her and so I only saw the disappearing butt of the bear crossing the street LOL. We got out and we heard noises too
smile.gif

DR is pretty big... the biggest island in the carribean actually. I know for a fact there are many things undiscovered in the DR. Its very mountanous and i can imagine the plant life that are up in those cloud forests! Pinguicula Casabitoana is only found there up in cloud forests.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CNCreefer @ Nov. 06 2004,11:17)]When I was in the Navy I was out in the middle of the persian gulf
If it was a plane I would guess it was about 40,000 feet up.
Then it took a VERY abrupt 90 degree turn and took off like a bat out of hell.
Same thing happend to me one night in Hoenfelds Germany. I was outside walking back from the NCO club (sober) and saw exactly the same thing. Like you said I thought it was a plane at about 30 or 40,000 ft. moving left to right in the sky then suddenly it did a perfect 90 straight up and disapeared completly. No plane I know of can withstand the amount of G-force that manuver must have generated. And no flight suit I know of could have kept the pilot from passing out. *Goosebumps* still get them thinking about it.

I believe there is "life" out there somewhere. The universe is too vast for us to be only life form. And rather arrogant of us to think so. I think however we often make a mistake in assuming other life forms would function like us. There may be life that exists somewhere else that would breathe ammonia, eat rocks and drink liquid nitrogen. We can't say because air and water isn't found on a planet that that means life doesn't exist. We are being mighty presumptive to think our means of "life" is the only viable way of existence.

I'd love to see a UFO but quite frankly, with all the "sightings", why haven't we been contacted in any way...or why not show themselves? Why just do "drive bys"? I say..."Come on down! Come say howdy-do and share a bowl of Brunswick stew." hehe
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]..."Come on down! Come say howdy-do and share a bowl of Brunswick stew." hehe
remember.... (LOL)
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] . I think however we often make a mistake in assuming other life forms would function like us. There may be life that exists somewhere else that would breathe ammonia, eat rocks and drink liquid nitrogen.
I just like annoying people sometimes :p
there are rock-eating bacteria (lithophyles)... I'm somewhat sure there's also some that "breathe" bacteria.... is there any liquid nitrogen naturally on earth? lol.
I don't think anyone said that just because there's no H20 means there's no life. There's just not life as we know it. So far, every single organism we have ever found DEPENDS on water....
BUT. who knows... maybe water-based organisms are just better at surviving here and out-competed with non-water-based organisms.... like eubacteria kicked out archae. (mostly...)
smile_k_ani_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Nov. 10 2004,1:33)]So far, every single organism we have ever found DEPENDS on water....
On this planet.

we haven't found any organisms in another planet so obviously

Life might start pretty easily if conditions are right.  But it's unusual for a planet to maintain a fairly stable environment for very long.  I read a fascinating book about this several months ago, but can't find the title now.  If I can, I'll post it because it looks like some of you would like it.

Back