What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drug problem.....................

just recieved this onn email

DRUG PROBLEM

Thought this is very appropriate with today's society!
The other day, someone at a store in a small town
read that a methamphetamine lab had been found in
an old farm house in the adjoining county and he
asked me a rhetorical question, "Why didn't we
have a drug problem when you and I were growing up?"
"I did have a drug problem when I was a kid growing
up on the farm."
I had a drug problem when I was young:
I was drug to church on Sunday morning.
I was drug to church for weddings and funerals.
I was drug to family reunions and community socials no
matter the weather.
I was drug by my ears when I was disrespectful to adults.
I was also drug to the woodshed when I disobeyed my parents,
told a lie, brought home a bad report card, did not speak with respect,
spoke ill of the teacher or the preacher. Or if I didn't put forth my
best effort in everything that was asked of me.
I was drug to the kitchen sink if I uttered a profane
four letter word (I do know what Lye soap tastes like).
I was drug out to pull weeds in mom's garden and
flower beds and cockleburs out of dad's fields.
I was drug to the homes of Family, Friends, and
neighbors to help out some poor soul who had
no one, to mow the yard, repair the clothesline
or chop some fire wood, and if my mother had
ever known that I took a single dime as a tip for
this kindness, she would have drug me back to
the wood shed.
Those drugs are still in my veins; and they
affect my behavior in everything I do, say,
and think. They are stronger than cocaine,
crack or heroin, and if today's children had
this kind of drug problem, America might be
a better place today.
AMEN!!!!!!!!!

That's pretty neat. The end was the coolest.

I guess I'd appreciate it more if not for the fact I've known people who dove headfirst into drugs and worse after such an upbringing.  A friend of my brother-in-law had a family like that and, after he got into trouble and was later diagnosed with schizophrenia, they cast him aside like garbage.  I didn't have that upbringing, thank God, and I'm the one who shovels neighbors' sidewalks.

all my friends were brought up like that, and myself.. and we are better people for it.

i was shocked when i heard that people at my school didnt have dinner (supper) together as a family.
confused.gif

its amazing what this world comes to.
and now if you try to do a little dicapline (sp?) on your kids, someone is gonna call CPS. that a bar of soap in the mouth is detrimental
smile_l_32.gif

man i learned alot about life, that wooden spoons are harder then your butt, and a little switch does NOT hurt less than a big switch, that there are consequences to my actions, and do unto others as you would have others do unto you is true.

I don't necessarily agree with the last part either.... :p
depends on the kid.
personally I think if I had been brought up that way I wouldn't be so good O:)

It makes some of them want to rebel, and then when they get into trouble, they blame it on their parents. It's sad.

Parnets can go overboard in both ways: by neglecting, or by rigindly controlling kids. But there's no denying that parents who are involved and concerned are better than ones who are detached and apathetic.

On the other hand, one should teach a kid to WANT to do those things instead of scaring them into it. JMO

Capslock

wow not eccessarily the responce i though would happen. i see the points on both sides and tend to agree somewhere in the middle is best, thats about where i was brought up. did some experimenting but nothing serious. no real reason to rebel. my parents gave me as much freedom as i rightly earned which by my senior year in high school was practically anything i wanted aslong as i had a job and stayed at or above a B average while taking actuall classes and not 4 periods of shop
smile_m_32.gif

My youth played out much like Rattler's.  I think kids have to learn to make decisions and learn the consequences of those decisions.  That isn't going to happen in a totally controlling or a totally permissive environment.  Parents should also encourage kids to think for themselves and find their own goals.  I don't think a drug around by me ear kind of childhood is very good for that.  But if my 11 year old daughter doesn't start taking an interest in plants pretty soon, she'll be drug out to the woodshed.

the basic thing to help kids grow up is

"how would you feel if they did that to you?"

so, i grew up knowing that every time i did something, it would affect someone.. and if what i did would make me hurt if it was done to me, then i dont do it.
ofcourse there are exceptions to everything.

i didnt rebel, cause my parents allowed me to think for myself. offered both sides of a problem or question, and let me see what has happened to others that have done that.
consequences.
i think most people do bad things, cause they either cant see that there is a consequence, or do not care that there is one.

I'm glad for my carnivores, they help me relax, before i got my first one, i actually had a thought of doing drugs. I probably woulnd'nt have anyway mind you, but my carnivores help me take my mind off of these stressful things. I find it pleasing enough to watch the painful death of insects while watching my plants enjoy them and grow.
biggrin.gif

BTW: I am from Fisher Middle School, if you live in the bay area, (california) then you'd know that that is the school that had the problem with kids dealing drugs in the boy's bathroom. We had a locker check in P.E. the next day.

I wish i was there, so i could give them a swift kick in the *** (Shame there isn't an emoticon for an evil grin.)

Here's to carnivorous plants instead of drugs!

Back