What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any ebay sellers to steer clear of?

• Thread starter LauraZ5
  • Start date
Simply stated, play Santa Claus for me and share with me who is good and who is bad.

Thanks much, Laura

so far all i have dealt with are good.
ef.Patch is my ebay name

but i havent gotten any CPs stuff yet except seeds.
bought alot of plants from one guy, still waiting on them too arrive cause one was on backorder.

dont know of any bad ones yet.

I've bought plants on ebay several times. Mostly from Dean Cook, who is "flytraps" on ebay (great prices, healthy smaller plants). And also several nepenthes from "leilani hapu", whose large, vigorous plants are well worth the money he charges. I've also bought once or twice from others, pkfloyd, or something like that, and hirtsgreen (sp?) and have been happy with each purchase. So far no bad experiences!

Of course, by from PFT if they have what you want available. They are as good as any.

Capslock

i dont trust any carnivorus plant sellers on ebay because normally you kant know for shure wather they were illegaly collected or not

Yeah, if it looks fishy, I stay away. But the vendors I listed clearly don't illegaly collect or sell plants.

Capslock

Yeah, to tell the truth, most of the Cp ebay business is all from major vendors like the ones mentioned.  The whole "Wild Collected" myth on ebay gives it a bad name like mentioned on some websites.  I've only seen maybe one or two cases of being a suspect of wild collected plants once last year and most likely it wasn't because the guys seemed very friendly in the emails and new alot about tissue culture and is a major wholesale of plants for many  places.
So, always be on the look out for suspects, but the ebay myth with wild collected plants is WAY overexagerated.  I've scored great deals off of that site with neps and such.

I'm happy to say I'm an occasional ebay Nepenthes seller and have always gotten good feedback from my summer sales of cuttings of personal stock plants. It helps pay those summer AC bills for the highlanders!

I am very cautious about selling, I only sell my own plants (no drop shipments) and only inside the USA. I've seen seeds and plants being offered from foreign sellers (check the item location) and asked them about whether they will be supplying paperwork (required for Nepenthes) and none said they did! This is how our pal The Griffin over on the Nepenthes forum got snagged for some hefty fines by an ignorant seller. Griff had the right permits, the shipper didn't and he got the fines, not the seller! so make sure you are ordering from Ebay sellers within the USA if you live here.

oh so id they seem freindly they cant be wild-collecters, right peter? its NOT a mith its a FACT

I suppose we never really know where our plants come from, even if we buy them at a store, or trade them at a cp club meeting, or through a PFT auction. All we can do is try our best to not buy wild-collected plants. On ebay, I think it's safe to buy from reputable dealers. Fore example, it's unlikely in the extreme that the rooted cutting of a Bruce Bednar hybrid nepenthes is wild-collected!
smile_n_32.gif

Capslock

Personally I wouldn't give any business to SundewMatt. But that's because he's an--mmffpphhhmmmpphhh. Can't say it.
confused.gif
What's his eBay name? SundewSeller?? You can tell its him because his listing is 3 feet long and he has his ad nauseum pre-recorded message about having to sell plants to financially support his collection.

I won't buy from Dean either but that's just me. I have "issues" there.

You do have to be careful about buying poached plants. You are probably safe buying from plant nurseries selling on eBay. I don't know if The Flytrap Farm sells on eBay but I wouldn't buy from them either (field collect).

My first CP buying experience on eBay was not a good one but it was a long time ago. But that is not to say there aren't honest CP sellers on there. I've bought a number of orchids there and they were all great.

Just be careful. If you have ANY questions or doubts, email the sellers BEFORE you bid and you should be able to judge from their reply if they are on the up and up.

I sell more than I buy on ebay. Personally I try and avoid individuals selling, unless I know for a fact they are competent growers. One plant I got from someone was loaded with mealybugs. Others were .. well needing a good bit of TLC.

Most of the stuff you see are folks just buying bulk plants from Agristarts and other wholesale producers and just reselling. Same stuff you will find down at lowes etc..

Tony

There are poachers on ebay, it's no myth. This has already been discussed though, no reasons to bring it up again.
Two sellers to avoid, palmer92670, I can't legally talk about this yet.
And Hampsteadtrader, possiable poacher.

I loved this description, "ad nauseum pre-recorded message about having to sell plants to financially support his collection".  Thank you for putting words to what I saw as somehow I was at a loss for an appropriate description. Dear, you have such a way with words!  

Thank you 0zzy, I should have requested a list of sellers to steer clear of.  Perhaps more people would have felt comfortable posting.

I've only purchased from Dean Cook aka "flytraps" in Eugene Oregon. I've been very happy with the process and the plants.

Hmmm... I guess I was wrong... sorry
I probably have not been ebaying for long enough, I'll be sure to avoid those types of growers though. THe main ones that I see now are the major vendors and a few other people here and there.

if i want a really high quality Nep that PFT doesnt sell i go with Tony......if i want a cheap experiment plant such as some of the intermediate highlanders ive recently purchased to see how well they are going to grow for me i usually see what Dean Cook has. the neps tend to be smaller from Dean but ive been quite happy with them so far. the VAST majority of my collection though has come from the trade forum here. with a lil bit of patients almost anything you want can be found here eventually for alot less than retail equivilent in trade
smile_m_32.gif

lol Laura.  Well...anyone who knows Matt has heard the broken-record defense... "I HAVE to sell plants...it enables me to continue to support my rare and valuable collection."

I guess all the rest of us are getting plants, peat, perlite, moss, sand, vermiculite, pots, trays, distilled water, RO water, fluorescent lights, tubes, electricity, halides, shelving and tanks for FREE.  Right??  When you think about it...its really a MIRACLE any of us can afford to GIVE AWAY plant material without expecting anything in return!!  lol  Wow...how do we DO that!  
laugh.gif

Aaanyway...I don't know if I'd buy CPs on eBay unless it was a nursery with a good rep...like Tony.  Otherwise you might be purchasing poached plants, diseased plants, damaged plants...who knows.

For the basic CPs, Phil is always de best!  Nice, reliably healthy plants.  For the more exotic...I guess everyone has their favorite vendors.

PAK, I vaguely remember Matt, he was... hmm, how do it put it... he was a snob.... Anyway, yea that said, I will go no further as it is not my nature to bad-mouth people.

Well, I was going to post a witty retort to the "I HAVE to sell plants...it enables me to continue to support my rare and valuable collection" but felt it best to leave well enough alone. I do want you all to know that I laughed myself silly while I was typing rejoinders and then deleted them all lest I be viewed as a petty female.

eBay is a moot point, I couldn't find any Schnell's Ghosts, anthocyanin-free  psittacina x rubra jonesiis, or Hurricane Creeks which is what I was looking for. I saw pictures of those in a thread here and they are to die for.  I also couldn't find any of the pings or utrics I was looking for.  Where do they sell these as it certainly isn't on eBay?

Good luck with finding the Schnell's Ghost or Hurricane Creek.I just got a Schnells Ghost,it was given to me.I wont say someone will give you one,but you never know.

Jerry

Back