What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi everyone - just got this from John:

_
New England Carnivorous Plant Society
Founded 2003

November 2004 Newsletter

The cold frosts have come to New England, and by now everyone will have had at least one killing frost. The Basil in my herb garden fell victim to the killing frost this morning. All the outdoor plants will be dormant now, and the winter gardening season is upon us.

Last month, October, the New England Carnivorous Plant Society held it?s second annual CP show, and it was a HUGE success! OVER 300 people attended the show, over a third more than last year?s show. There were new exhibits, new plants, and more plants for sale than ever before. Nathan Lovell, Webmaster extraordinaire, has posted an update on the website (http://www.NECPS.org) with an abundance of pictures, of plants, members and visitors. It is worth a trip to revisit the show!

Huge thanks go out to everyone who helped make this show even better than the last. The show is fast becoming a big part of the southern New England horticulture scene. Plans have already been discussed to help make next year?s show even bigger and better! Along those lines, we are looking for a member to volunteer to be the overall show coordinator, to help bring everything together in one place. Anyone who be interested in doing this, please contact me at this email address or at a meeting.

The week after the meeting, Southern New England was visited by Barry Rice, one of the major people in the International Carnivorous Plant Society, and the Webmaster of the ICPS FAQ page. Barry was visiting U Conn for a meeting on Invasive Species, and wanted to check out a few local bogs. Barry was particularly interested in visiting the Ell Pond floating bog, located on the RI/CT border. Evidently, he had visited the area with his wife months ago, but didn?t have the correct directions and had walked right past the bog. After speaking with Barry a few times, we made arrangements to visit this bog while he was here. After meeting him and parking the cars, we hiked into the area, and got a glimpse of the bog from the cliffs above the pond. It had been a few years since I had last visited the bog, and it appeared that they have blocked off the path to the bog in that time. It is easy to miss the path, and Barry and I ended up blazing a trail to the bog. One there, we did find 5 species of CPs, D. rotundifoilia, D. intermedia, S purpurea and 2 Utricularia species. Barry was most interested in the Utrics!

The next day, Barry spent time at the U Conn Greenhouses with Matt Opel and Wild Bill, touring the collections. They have a few nice CPs there, and Barry really wanted to see the Roridula that Matt grows. ( the same plant that is shown at the NECPS show!) Bill will fill us in on the further details of this visit at the November meeting.

The program at the November meeting will be a wrap up of the show, and a discussion of how to make it better while the ideas are fresh in our minds. Get those ideas ready while they are still there, so we can make the next show even better!

As usual, the November meeting will have the ever-popular silent auction/swap table, and display table. We should have some new members also present there, so please bring plants for both if you have any! I know there is no need to ask everyone to be friendly, that never seems to be a problem with our society!

I have gotten a request from Lou Cadwell for a speaker at a Master Gardener event here in RI. Hopefully, Lou will attend this event and we can begin to make plans to display our plants for the Master Gardeners.

Also, we will be displaying plants and have a booth at the RI Spring Flower and Garden show in Providence RI, Feb 17~20, 2005! I will be speaking at the show, and will be there each day manning the booth, which will once again be shared with our sister society, the RI Orchid Society. Plans are being made also for us to have some CPs displayed in the largest display Garden on the main floor. More to come on all this at the November and other meetings! But volunteers will be needed to help!

Don?t forget, the December meeting of the NECPS will be our annual party, and the wildly popular CP Yankee swap!

The next meeting of the New England Carnivorous Plant Society will be on Saturday, 13 November at 12:30 pm in the greenhouses of the NEBG, Roger Williams Park, Providence RI. I will be there early setting up, and will need help breaking down afterwards, for I have to leave early for a show with my real life job. As usual, the November meeting will have the ever-popular silent auction/swap table, and display table. We should have some new members also present there, so please bring plants for both if you have any! I know there is no need to ask everyone to be friendly, that never seems to be a problem with our society! Mugs will once again be on sale, for those who have yet to receive them. And with the holidays around the corner, shirts are NOT far away!

I hope top see everyone at the next society meeting, Saturday, 13 November at 12:30 pm, in Providence.
John Phillip

Hope to see some of you there.

WildBill

Hey Bill, if you mail me a plane ticket I make sure to be there
smile_m_32.gif

I wanna go!! Darn...
confused.gif

Back