Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do virtually all experts...

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always watered my plants from the top to keep the tanins and minerals flushed out of the soil. Seedling trays I water well and then plant the seeds. Afterwards I cover the container with a lid or saran wrap until the seeds sprout and have enough roots developed to hold them in place. By putting the spout of my watering container next to the soil and pouring carefully, I minimize splashing and the seeds are less likely to get washed away by the slow flow of water.

As peter says, as long as the tap water can't flow back up into the pot, you should be fine. The tray may have to be cleaned more frequently due to mineral build up. Also keep in mind that water may get into the pot by capillary action or wicking if the pot isn't far enough above the water level to prevent it.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do a mix of both methods myself. I have found that Sarracenia especially prefer to be top watered. I usually water all the pots from the top, till it just about overflows the pot, then fill the tray underneath. I use this method for pretty much all my plants, even the smaller dews. Most cp's come from areas with a fair ammount of natural rainfall (much more than we get here in San Jose) and dont seem to mind a brief submersion from top watering.

Steve

EDIT: I seem to remember a discussion a while back regarding the effectiveness of the "pebble tray" for providing humidity. If I remember correctly, the general consensus is that its not really all that effective. Personally I am not a huge believer that humidity is all that big of a deal for most species. I have found a few that really do like it, but for the majority of the common plants its not that important.
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you brought this up Steve, "from the top to keep the tanins and minerals flushed out of the soil".

I do have that little lingering issue of not having enough guts to do a fizz test on the sand I mixed in with the sphagnum.

I'm thinking the little ones that can get blown away in swirls of water and the VFTs need a combination and everything else gets watered from the top down.

And, it's tap water for the pebble trays and cat litter boxes from here on out.

Thanks to all!

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before you go and put tap water in your most prized plants, try it on some of the least important plants that can be easily replaced. That way if it don't work, you don't kill your whole collection.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I wasn't all that clear... sorry about that.

I only water my one and only indoor CP with rain water. Every plant at the school is being watered with either rain water or distilled water.

We had been filling all of the pebble trays that the plants were set in with distilled water. Since the pots are in drip trays before they are set down into the cat litter boxes or into pebble trays, there is no chance of wicking so I've pretty much decided to fill all the trays with tap water. It was so dry in the classroom that I was lugging up 3 gallons of distilled water on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. The plants were only requiring about a gallon for actual watering and all the rest was going into the pebble trays. I would have been more than happy to continue walking up 3 stories of stairs with distilled water for the pebble trays if it was necessary but it doesn't seem to be and I am somewhat of a lazy person by nature if I can get away with being so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it depends upon your plants that you grow. I only intentionally grow nepenthes (and orchids) in or on moss and bark.They are flood/flushed with water from the top down through slotted pots that don't retain a lot of excess moisture so the pots will be nearly dry and ready to water again in a few days to a week. This would probably kill those sundews and other things which I can't seem to grow (except for D. aedlae which has somehow infested my highland Nepenthes hamata pot and is growing and flowering out of every open space on the hamata pot...).

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As VFTguy in SJ (is that South Jersey or San Jose or San Juan? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] Sorry, I wanted to work that in, somewhere.) suggests, different appraoches for different situations. Generally, I top water, but for newly germinated seedlings and pigmy dews during the summer, I will just add water to the "tray". The one thing NOT mentioned here about top watering is that supposedly, over time, the media becomes matted down.

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jimscott, it's San Jose.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast