What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is a compartmentalized cigar humidor

I have no idea what I was thinking when I took this.  This display humidor was given to me by a local gas station as they know I'm a plant geek and thought I might be able to grow something in it. I went in to get soup and came out with this humidor. There are areas contained within for sponges to keep the humidity high.  I was thinking of putting something in here.  Any CPs that would lend themselves to being "showcased" in a nice walnut humidor?  The interior height is about 10" so I could quite easily place a 4" pot in each little area of the humidor and there is certainly enough glass to let in light.

9ad0f355.jpg

That would amke a good home for my snakes!
smile_n_32.gif

Snake eggs... maybe!

Drosera huh! I just saw a really nice photo of scorpiodes. Oh the possibilities might be endless. I'm not feeling nearly as silly about having taken this humidor now.

If you don't want it send it to me.
smile_m_32.gif

Hey that's really sweet!
smile_n_32.gif

It would definately be great if you're into drosera, utrics or any of those smaller things. Just pop a dual strip light or two over it and you're good!

Can the dividers be removed without too much trouble?

So you like my humidor 0zzy?  Evidently hubby liked it too as he moved it into his office and placed quite a few open wheel racers in it.  He collects those.  Think I'll mosie on in there and reclaim my Drosera box!

What's a dual strip light? Is that like cove lighting that goes underneath your kitchen cabinetry?

I just tried to get the dividers out.  They are in there pretty good! Don't think they're coming out but what did you have in mind?

dual strip lights are basically 2 shop light bulbs. (the long flourescent ones)

Why is it that someday I envision being able to spot my house from miles away?  I have one strip light now and I can see the glow from it when I pull up into the driveway.  It illuminates the living room quite well. Follow the glow... I'll have to remember this.  I can tell my husband that there are benefits to all the strip lights over the seed I will be germinating!  All the better to find our way home!

You should look up the old thread "You know you're a cp'er If" You'll see that just like the rest of us, you have it bad. lol
I think I'll start a new thread like it for all the new people here.

Nice catch! Drosera would definitely be nice in there. Pygmies especially. I started a project back at the Frederik Meijer Gardens when I volunteered there, with a (I think) 10 gal tank, and approximately 250 gemmae. We should try bugging Steve into posting a pic of what it looks like now!

Amori

Eyes darting to an fro seeking out all available locations in home for seed trays while head is spastically twitching...  so 0zzy... are you insinuating I am afflicted? Would this be the pot calling the kettle black?

Thank you Amori, I'll see what germinates from seed I ordered and I'm thinking along the same lines as you.

Hey... I've got my eye on a real nice older style Hostess Twinkie and DingDong display rack.  Now if the rack would just outlive its usefulness over there so they'd roll it out by the garbage, I'd be mighty fine! They don't make em like that any more!

I'd bend the lid back, fill all the compartments up with media and plant whatever i want that won't get rootbound in there.

Can't do that most unfortunately.  The base is walnut and it sat in the gas station for years without ever having been oiled. There is a split dissecting the base in half that extends the entire width of the humidor.  It is repairable but shouldn't e used to as any type of an actual planter.  Ok to place plants down and into it in separate little pots with drip trays though.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] so 0zzy... are you insinuating I am afflicted?

Yes, I am also afflicted

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hey... I've got my eye on a real nice older style Hostess Twinkie and DingDong display rack. Now if the rack would just outlive its usefulness over there so they'd roll it out by the garbage, I'd be mighty fine!

You are among friends and you are now one of us, we are all afflicted. We can see that and as soon as you get passed the denial stage you'll also see.

Beware my friends as you pass by
As you are now, so once was I
As I am now, so you must be
Prepare my friends to follow me
Megadeth

Laura, I started a new "You know you're a cp'er" topic just for you, you should checked it out.

that would be a nice tree frog show case..
individual rooms for individual dart frogs, etc..

or
get some soil.. a nice bark effect.. moss.. and put a pretty drosera in there.. like its in the rainforest.. mini sized.\

definietly a good frog container.

I am out of the denial stage. I went back to the gas station and asked for the Hostess Twinkie and Ding Dong display case. They wrote my name on the back of it in permanent black marker so that when it is replaced, I will get it. They said it could be a few years but they'd make sure it didn't get tossed.  

Hi Patch, you need to post some photos of your poison dart frogs for me!

Back