Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water source

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Lucky, Lucky you! Waterfront property! I personally would prefer a small mountain stream full of shiners, but lake are good to
    It's not so great when the wind blows off the lake in the winter.
    Quote[/b] ]Lake erie also collects all the polution and runoff from the other lakes as the water goes to the sea. It also hase signifigently more alge for some reason.
    That's the reason I have never tried it as a water source, but it has been cleaned up in the last few years. The two places that I had it tested at was aquarium shops and they both said it was good enough to use in a fish tank. The only holdup now is the mineral content. I bought a TDM meter on ebay, so I should have it pretty soon and I'll post the results here as soon as I get it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have checked the TDS and it's around 135. Is that safe to use on Nepenthes? When the lake settles down and I'll get another sample and see if it's lower when the water is calm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's kind of high. The average TDS of Hartford, CT tap water is 54 ppm.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Nov. 21 2004,3:42)]That's a significant pH difference. The Lake, obviously, isn't going to change THAT much. I'm sure you can buy pH paper, cheaply. Why would it be so alkaline? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]
    pH varies greatly in lakes, on spatial and temporal scales. phytoplankton are the primary influencer. if your sample is taken from a pocket of high algal population, the pH will be higher than areas of the lake that are more devoid of algae. when they're photosynthesizing, they suck the carbonate out of the water, raising the pH.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took both samples at the same place within a week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked around a little and found something saying the pH of Lake Erie surface water ranges from 7.8-8.6 I don't know how reliable the source is, but it seems reasonable given all the carbonate rock in the drainage basin and all the human inputs. How did you measure the pH?
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely check for dissolved minerals, and the PH level, and other important factors. If they all check out, you'll save a lot of money.
    You have just recieved the Amish Computer Virus. Since the Amish don't have computers, it is based on the honor system. So please delete all the files from your computer. Thank you for your cooperation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12