Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water source

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After years of buying distilled water and collecting rainwater, I started thinking about a potential endless supply of free water 1000 ft from my front door. Lake Erie. I've had 2 test done on the water and both had about the same results. The test I've done couldn't give me excact numbers but here are the results.
    Both test showed very low nitrates, and calcuim was non detectiable. The only difference in the two tests were the ph. levels. The first was 6.5 and the second was an 8.
    I haven't gotten a mineral content yet, but with the amount of water that Lake Erie is I would think that it would be very diluted.
    My question is do you guys think that this would be a good source of water? Do you know of any reasons I should of wary of trying it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ozzy,
    I would definitely have it checked for TDS (total dissolved solids). If that number is less than 40 it might be acceptable. After all, don't CP grow somewhere on or near the shores of the lake? If you can spare a few plants, it would be worth a trial.

Optimally you should accurately check each collection for TDS less than 40 and pH of 7 or lower == I would recommend your own TDS meter, they are available at many pool or aquarium supply stores and many are also sources of accurate pH test kits.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a significant pH difference. The Lake, obviously, isn't going to change THAT much. I'm sure you can buy pH paper, cheaply. Why would it be so alkaline? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that it shouldn't have jumped that much. I think the water for the second test may have been contaminated by the container or a mistake by the guy that was testing.
    The two test were from two different samples taken at the different times. The first sample was taken on a day that the lake was very calm. the second was taken today and the lake was pretty rough. The water was visibly different. the first sample was very clear, the second was very cloudy. So alot of sediment could have been kicked up by the waves. I don't know if that would change the the ph or not.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In something as large as Lake Erie and thus stable, I wouldn't expect there to be a significant difference with respect to pH. Obiously, turbidity will and TDS. I think you are right about possible contamination from another source.

Interestingly, we are from opposite ends of the same Lake! I spent most of my adult life in Buffalo. You must be near the Mud Hens or Corporal Klinger.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm halfway between Cleveland and Toledo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lucky, Lucky you! Waterfront property! I personally would prefer a small mountain stream full of shiners, but lake are good to

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]In something as large as Lake Erie and thus stable
    Lake erie also collects all the polution and runoff from the other lakes as the water goes to the sea. It also hase signifigently more alge for some reason.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some Lake Erie data and pg 11 has a graph of 20 years of specific conductance measurements and right below it is a graph of alkalinity. I wouldn't use that on my CPs.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast