Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The big mystery...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every part of the earth's surface is part of a tectonic plate. The plate boundary closest to the eastern US is the Mid Atlantic Ridge.

I remember hearing something about booms like that years ago - maybe in one of my geology classes taught by a professor who had spent a lot of time in the Carolinas. But I can't remember anything more about them.

But you'll rarely go wrong doubting a military denial and aircraft are a likely source for what you're experiencing.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure, I have never been to Richmond but Omaha/Bellevue area is quite populated and they still did it. I am not sure but I think it is illegal to sonic boom over urban areas ,but it does happen.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was a kid, my friends would make 'bombs' for blowing up peoples' mailboxes. They were loud. Pranksters would be my guess. Oh, or how about aliens. Spaceships might make sonic booms when they enter the atmosphere [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I did mean to say the closest active plate boundaryis the Midatlantic ridge - you know how it is... sometimes when you're responding you assume everyone knows what you are thinking. Is it just in your neighborhood or can areas around you (other parts of the city) hear/feel it also?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Why would the military test something over a heavy populated area like Richmond?
    I was watching "unsolved mysteries" the other day, and there was a toxic-jelly shower somewhere. They said it might have been the military trying out weapons or something :P Anybody know what I'm talking about? What was the city? etc.? I want to find out more :P
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok...well I'm back from the meeting. It was a HUGE turnout--all seats taken, people were standing everywhere they could find, people up on the stage and a ton of people who couldn't even get in the room. That shows the level of concern there is. Plus today has been unusually heavy activity...two massive explosions, several medium ones and a number of small ones. That's the heaviest its ever been. Everyone remarked on how odd it was that that happened the day of the meeting. The room was abuzz with stories. One lady found her water heater turned knocked over at an angle as well as a large, heavy piece of furniture knocked over. A sonic boom is not going to do THAT.

At the meeting was the city councilman for this area, the city manager, the fire chief, a guy from the city utilities dept., representatives from the police department and several other officials. There were lots of TV cameras and news reporters so it will be on the news tonite. They did say that although this "thing" has been most reported in my neighborhood (Northside), there are other areas reporting the same thing, particularly today with the two biggies. So apparently although this isn't city-wide, its in more neighborhoods than mine.

They assured everyone that this phenomenon is being taken very seriously. They recounted all the agencies that are involved in the investigation and what they have NOT found (gas leaks, earthquakes, etc.). Although they have pretty much ruled out a number of things, they will not say conclusively that anything has been totally ruled out. There were many questions and suggestions. One major problem is a lack of a way to report these events. I was pleased that a number of people spoke up to report problems with the phone numbers and dispatchers that are taking the calls. They are going to set up a website and possibly a dedicated phone line for reporting these events. There needs to be a way to track the times, areas and strength of the "booms."

These events are variable. No rhyme or reason as to when they happen, frequency or strength. They started out happening late at nite (1:30-2 a.m.). Now that is more random...one at 8 p.m. Saturday nite...and many today throughout the day. Sometimes they are HUGE...like two today. Sometimes it feels like something is exploding directly underneath your house. Sometimes they are more distant and not as strong. It is undetermined if there is an "epicenter."

They have had firetrucks around the neighborhood all day today (I could hear them driving by). There will be a heavy presence of police, fire and other city authorities from now on. They might be bringing the ATF into this. There are many more tests being planned including something with triangle of cameras and sound equipment which can determine direction...or something like that.

People (including ME) are getting very nervous as there is no way of knowing if the explosions will get worse. Today has certainly shown in increase in activity and strength.

The most intriguing thing to come out of the meeting is that a couple of people spoke up and said they had done research and discovered that this phenomenon has been reported in other areas across the country including Canada. Another person mentioned there can be small breaks happening in ground that are like small cracks that would not register as an earthquake as the direction is different.

They are setting up a Task Force to do more study. There will be another neighborhood meeting sometime in the future (hopefully in a larger room!).

Its the element of the unknown that has everyone so nervous. I'm as jumpy as a cat...too many booms and rattles today. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

I feel it has to be in the ground...like maybe the cracks in the plate. It always feels like its coming from underneath.

Whatever it is...it sure has everyone talking and scrambling to find out what it is. There is no "prank" imaginable that could cause this vibration over such a large area. And the frequency of them today I think rules out sonic booms (and the military has assured the city its nothing they are doing).

Well...there went another one!! A small one. And there was a small one just before the meeting started. I was rather hoping for one of the biggies so the TV cameras could catch it. No such luck.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long does it last? sonic booms are extremely brief. I doubt its a prank too.
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Were is Mulder and Scully when you need them!

Hang in there till they figure it out.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast