Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The big mystery...

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the past 3 weeks something very mysterious has been going on in my neighborhood. I thought I'd tell you about it and see if anyone has any ideas on this.

An area about of about 10 blocks (including my house) is being hit with repeated "explosions". These are loud and so forceful they shake the house...very much like an earthquake. The first one (that I am aware of) happened about 3 weeks ago or so very late on Sunday nite...near 2 a.m. It was a huge boom that shook my whole house. I thought it was something happening in my house but I couldn't find anything amiss. The next nite...same thing. An even larger explosion that shook my house. It feels like a truck crashing into the house. Again...could find no explanation for it. The third nite...there were 3 explosions with a half an hour time period.

By that time, word was getting out. It was being reported on local TV stations. City officials were getting involved. Since then, the explosions have continued in a random way...some are louder/larger than others but they all shake our houses. They have interviewed some residents on TV and some people have had household items knocked to the floor, wall pictures knocked crooked and a friend's sister had her birdbath top broken when it was shaken off the stand. So we are talking VERY big explosions and vibrations strong enough to cause damage similar to a small earthquake.

City officials have ruled out: trouble in the gas and sewer lines, seismic acitivity (earthquake), military actions (sonic booms), terrorism, unusual activity at the nearby railyard, and heavy construction. They are mystified. They can find no explanation or cause for these explosions. They are now asking residents to call 911 to report all the "booms" so they can track and plot the area affected.

Just a few minutes ago, around 1 p.m., there was another HUUUGE explosion. It felt like my house was coming down. It scared the crap outta me! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]

So...does anyone have any theories on what could cause something like this? Anyone experienced anything like it? Its pretty strange to have explosions this big and no one can find out the cause. Its pretty nerve wracking because you don't know when its going to happen and how strong it will be. City officials have mentioned something about a prank...but what kind of prank could shake homes over a 10 block radius?

I'm mystified, concerned and a nervous wreck. It is most unsettling to feel like your house is blowing up. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. Look at the bright side though... No harm has come to you or your plants (or house) right?
    Keep us updated!
    Maybe it's some prankster making bombs... They pretty much ruled out everything except that, UFO's, wormholes, etc. LOL...
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may have an explanation.
    What you are describing was very common in the coastal area. We were told that they were the continental plate shifting offshore.
    What you're describing sounds to me more like a sonic boom. Even though that was been ruled out, remember you live pretty close to one of the largest naval stations. You know how the military are with denying things like this.
    Those are the only two things I can think of that would be the cause. Keep us informed on this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The closest tectonic plate to Virginia is the Midatlantic Ridge, I think the distance would rule that out - or at least it would be felt over a much larger area. I vote for the military keeping something they're doing hushed up.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well...they have contacted the military who says no military activity or planes. They say there is no recorded seismic acitivity (which is hard to believe unless those things don't pick up vibrations in a very small area like a neighborhood).

There was another one just about an hour ago. Not as huge as the first one but big enough. That's three in less than 24 hours. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

Tonite there is a meeting for the neighborhood. I'm going to go and see what they say. I'll let you know if they have any more info.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]at least it would be felt over a much larger area.
    That's why I'm leaning toward the sonic boom theory.
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]The closest tectonic plate to Virginia is the Midatlantic Ridge, I think the distance would rule that out
    While I can't say what you're saying is untrue, I use to live along the coast in NC and there was a reoccurring event that make a huge boom sound and the ground would shake.The local newspaper and teachers said it was a shift in the continental plate. I have very little knowledge of tectonic plates. I can only tell you what I've experienced and what I was told.
    I have also experienced a sonic boom. They feel and sound very different. A sonic boom is a sudden huge BOOM followed with a little rumbling. The plate shift (or whatever it was) starts with a low far away rumbling and quickly builds loud booming and the ground shaking

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the boom is sudden then i would say its a sonic boom. I know that there is an important airbase in the vicinity. I live close to Offut S.A.C. and I too know what sonic booms sound like. We had a string of "Mysterious" booms like what you describe, the airbase said no but after a few times, someone caught a plane or craft of some sort on video. They still denied it was them, ya know how they are especially if they are testing something "Classified".

I say probably a sonic boom and they are testing something "Secret"

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, but one major question. Why would the military test something over a heavy populated area like Richmond?
    If they are responsible for the booms, even if it's a conventional aircraft, why would they do it over and over? I would think that the reason they would deny this is because they will be responsible for any damages.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast