What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"weed" cp's

• Thread starter SunPitcher
  • Start date
Which cp's are "weeds".
smilie4.gif

U.subulata, D. spatulata, P. primuliflora....

Any plant that you can grow easy.
smile_m_32.gif

Some plants are weeds for some growers and very hard to grow for others.
U.gibba is a so called weed but I can't grow it.

If any of you are finding N. Rajah a pest let me know! I will give a some D. Capensis for a trade.
smile_n_32.gif
j/k

I've had U. subulata, U. calcyfida, D. nidiformis, D. capensis, D. burmanii, D. binata and D. hartmeyeron all pop up in my pots unexpectedly. I'm very lazy about removing flower scapes.

N. x ventrata is the weed of nepenthes!!! I have 10 foot long vines taking over my grow room.

Glenn

U. lateriflora can become a weed, i have yet to let mine develop seed pods. actually several different Utrics spread quite quickly either through seed or in a large tray though their runners. some of the more vigourus pygmy Drosera can take over from their gemmea going everywhere. but like Ozzy said most anything you can grow REALLY well has "weed" potential.

I agree that any plant that is easy to grow and shows up in unexpected places can be considered to be a weed. But, for a weed to be considered to be a pest, I would add another criteria: It is difficult to identify and/or eradicate. By this criteria:

U. subulata is easy to identify, but difficult to eradicate. (PEST)

Many of the D. spatulata look-a-likes are somewhat difficult to identify, and easy to eradicate. (maybe PEST)

Finally, D. capensis is easy to identify, and easy to eradicate. (not a PEST)

Bob makes a very good point but i would like to stress if you are REALLY into Utrics and keep a large variety. any Utric that self pollenates and puts out seeds has a high chance of creating a problem in your collection if you let it form seed pods. if you want seeds from a particular species for yourself or others its best to remove its pot to another location away from the other Utrics till you harvest the seeds. also if you keep a bunch of different Utrics in the same tray you really must pull the pots out on a regular basis to check for runners coming out the drain holes other wise you get a bunch of pots each with a bunch of different Utrics.

Rattler

If you try to grow dandelions in a Maine peat bog, the S. purpureas that crowd them out would be noxious weeds. Is Roundup labeled for Sarracenias?

I'd say D. Capensis, N. Ventrata (and parents), N. Sanguinea, S. Purpurea, and i'm not too familiar with ultrics.

In case your wondering, i picked these because they are easy to grow (hence, more surviving seed) and for their speed (Sanguinea is really fast in my collection).

i have a hard time calling a Nep a weed. it may grow like one but nothing a minute with the clippers wont take care of. in my mind it must spread readily by seed to me a weed. it has to creat a problem. a vining Nep only causes any sort of a problem if you leave it alone for months. other than that getting rid of the cuttings is the only problem and the trade forum is an effective way.
smile_n_32.gif

Rattler

Webster's dictionary defines "weed" as:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]1. a valueless plant growing wild, esp. one that grows on cultivated ground to the exclusion or injury of the desired crop.
2. any undesirable or troublesome plant, esp. one that grows profusely where it is not wanted

Weed is just a another name for a incredebly sucessfull species.

Hey,
I will take your weeds, except D.capensis 'Wide leaf' and Alba,
D. spathulata, D. spathulata 'Fraiser Island' (I would like any other spathulata varients, locations), U. subulata (except location), and N. ventra.
Thanks
Tre

I have burmanni thriving in every pot in my grow area.  It will be interesting to see if they survive dormancy when I put my VFT's in the fridge tomorrow.  The prevailing winds scatter the incredibly tiny seeds everywhere.  Three are growing in my habenero pepper pot which sets on the ground three feet from my CP's.
However, they are such cuties that I could never describe them as weeds.

Back