What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there anyone

How many people here live in San Diego, Ca. or anywhere south of LA and close to the coast? The reason I ask is, the climate here changes drastically in just a few miles. Someone who lives in El Cajon (only 10 miles inland from here) has very different growing conditions than I have here.
It is time to put my VFT's and sarrs to bed for winter.
For you guys who live close to the coast in Southern california, how do you guys do your dormancy?
I was talking to a guy who lives in Poway who leaves his plants out all winter. Poway is about 10 to 15 miles inland and it gets frosty there. I live about 5 miles from the coast and it never freezes here.
Daytime temps are in the low 60's to mid 70's, nighttime temps get down in the 40's. Humidity stays in the 60% to 90% range.
I took my sarrs out of the tray 2 weeks ago and top water to keep moist. Same with the VFT's. I was thinking about putting them in a low light place until Feb.
Should I leave them outside all winter or do I need to put them in the fridge?

Bump
I don't want this thread to get buried.

that site had absolutely no info on dormancy, etc.....
Come on guys, I know that I can't possibly be the only person in San Diego who grows CP's.

So you think they'll be alright leaving them outside? I was thinking that unseasonally warm daytime temps might mess up their dormancy period. The daytime temps still get up to the mid 70's.

Uh.. careful.. I might bump back
smile_n_32.gif

Well If I think that the temps are perfectly fine that would imply that leaving them outside should be alright. How warm does it get in native vft land during the day? How about further South through the whole Sarracenia area? (not including S. purpurea from the fridged North)

Doubt you will find someone with your exact set of growing conditions unless they happen to live next door. Alot of CP growing is trial and learning and adjusting when necessary.

Vft's and sarrs can stand temps below freezing for short periods of times. From what you have said I think the best thing to do would be to leave them outside.

Back